Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Box Snorkel Removed

Woodyatlarge

I took mine out today as I was curious to see how it responded.I also had to disconnect the Battery to do this ,so I suspect the ecu has also been reset.

I then took her for a drive and noticed my MPG on the computer kept rising to about 38-40 miles per gallon.I only drove about 6 miles and this was in various gears but taking it easy.

Before I took the air snorkel out,the MPG never went above 32 MPG and then dropped to about 27-28 and stayed there.

On the way home I give her the welly and I did think that even before I reached the 6200 boost the car seemed alot more responsive and seemed to accelerate quicker even bore I got to the boost.

The MPG is sitting at 38.5 when I stopped the car.

Further driving is needed to test more I know..

I have a standard Denso panel filter in the airbox and was thinking of replacing the panel filter with a k+n one or similar and leaving the snorkel of.I suspect the air you are getting now wouldnt be any warmer than the air going into the likes of a k+n typhoon as it would sit higher in the engine bay than the hole in the airbox...

Can anyone advise me on how safe it is to leave it like this and there own experience on doing this.

Thankyou ..and I await your coments

dude...i removed the snorkel and got me a dry apexi panel filter...direcr fit into the airbox.

well pleased withe results...........sounds even nicer now.

I have ordered a KnN panel filter for it, I will see how it goes.It sounds ok now so I take it the panel filter will make a difference as well.What about MPG did yours change or anything else happen

Woodyatlarge, Let us know how it goes witht the filter, i removed the snorkel a few months ago and have been thinking of a panel filter.

Bero

I only removed half of my snorkel, just the flexible felt part.

Hi,

does this not help the car find colder air from down here the bumber area though, which is a good thing?

how does removing it cause better results?

Hi,

does this not help the car find colder air from down here the bumber area though, which is a good thing?

Instead of going down this route what you can do is switch the vacum thing off on the air box. Sorry i know its not very technical!

Behind the air box is a flap that opens at around 6k rpm to allow more air in! There is a little brown electrical connector on the top of the box that you can unhook. The vacum will then stop so the flap will open up! Giving you more air straight away! If i get five minutes i will take a picture of it!

Yes I have seen this little slot flappy thing on the airbox and didnt know what it was... thanks for info .

My mpg is still showing around 40 MPG on average instead of around 28 MPG BEFORE I took the snorkle of.I may put half the snorkle back on and disconnect the flappy thing when I put in my K+N panel filter.

As I say I have more miles per gallon as I drove her hard on sat for about 2 hours solid and average was 36-38 driving hard .The petrol guage is definetly not going down as fast and the car feels more responsive.

I will let you all know when I try the other ideas you have givin me ...

Has anyone else noticed better fuel economy MPG ...let me know

Thanks alot...

Hi,

It seems to let the air into the engine better ,its as if the air snorkel is restricting the feed of air.And yes I understand you asking about cooler air near the bumper..but look at the k+n typhoon kit or similar they all sit as high as the airbox and suck air from there...they air not as low as the snorkel feed on the standard air box but let produce a better flow and anyone that has one of these k+n typhoon kit or similar seem to swear by them.

Doesn't more air mean the ecu would compensate with more fuel giving better performance but less economy ?

i was interested about the who;le thing and when i took at alook at mine what i noticed was instead of taking the Battery out etc etc to get to the removal process i have simply just closed the air box but not put it on flush so more air will sqease through as there is a gap . now it seems to drags more air in and sounds better to.

weather this is safe/reliable who knows...

dude...i removed the snorkel and got me a dry apexi panel filter...direcr fit into the airbox.

Where can I get the apexi dry filter for my TTE, seem to be struggling locating one, and how much are they roughly.

Cheers :thumbsup:

i was interested about the who;le thing and when i took at alook at mine what i noticed was instead of taking the battery out etc etc to get to the removal process i have simply just closed the air box but not put it on flush so more air will sqease through as there is a gap . now it seems to drags more air in and sounds better to.

weather this is safe/reliable who knows...

You need to be carefull air enters the box only through the bottom,so it passes through the filter.

Unclean air is a no no no for your engine as a rule ,I have had all sorts of things like wasps, bees and flys in my dirty filters and some alien unknown objects aswell.

I would make sure your airbox was closed properly incase something bad sneaks into your engine through the top of the filter.I am not a mechanic but its well known you need good filtering.

If anyone can provide us with the full details of why good filtering is so important other than good performance need nice clean air ,please do so please .

Quite simply, if dirt, grime or flying insect types enter the combustion chamber, these will be burned along with the fuel, the petrol we use in our cars has been refined, and is therefore mainly pure low chain hydrocarbons (C7-C10) which burns fairly cleanly, plus additives to help clean the engine, etc.

If you burn wasps etc, or even worse have dirt entering which doesn't burn, then the residue will build up in the combustion chambers, i.e. your valves and result in extra wear and poorer performance, long term, you knacker your engine. :(

Bearing in mind when you use your lift, the suck through your filter is quite powerful, so it would be quite surpising what things could be sucked in to the engine if the filter is not fitted properly.

Where can I get the apexi dry filter for my TTE, seem to be struggling locating one, and how much are they roughly.

Cheers :thumbsup:

saying bye bye to my t-sport today....taking out the apexi filter as the new owner doesnt want it..........

i see your in scotland................id sell it to ya if ya want it