Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris (t-sport) Reverse Gear

My Yaris T-Sport sometimes doesn't like going into reverse. It doesn't make any nasty noises, just doesn't want to go into gear sometimes. It usually manages on a second attempt, but its a bit annoying.

I gather from reading some of the other topics that this is normal behaviour for a yaris as reverse doesn't have syncromesh and is therefore not as easy to engage as the other gears. (Or maybe its just mine?)

Whats the best way of engaging reverse successfully first time- Is it best to put it into another gear first? Or put it into neutral first? Or just wait a few seconds before engaging reverse?

Any ideas or suggestions?

I get this problem as well i used to have it in other cars the thing that always worked for me was simply putting it into another gear first then into reverse. No problem

i get the same prob

i find that if ya release the clutch just before it starts to slip it normally pops in

its not serious so dont worry

its just down to the fact that it aint syncro

:thumbsup:

like the other said, all you need to do is stick it in neutral for a sec and release the clutch for a sec. then try again. should pop straight in

like the other said, all you need to do is stick it in neutral for a sec and release the clutch for a sec. then try again. should pop straight in

works for me..

has anyone ever suffered with this:

You engage reverse gear, the reverse light comes on, so you are actually in reverse gear, then when you release the cluth the car just doesnt go anywhere? :help:

This has happened to me a couple of times, surely this isnt right is it?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Tom!!

no this should not happen but i have had it happen to a few times i allways put down to i just did not put it in gear all the way

no this should not happen but i have had it happen to a few times i allways put down to i just did not put it in gear all the way

Cheers mate,

This was defo in gear properly though :wacko:

You engage reverse gear, the reverse light comes on, so you are actually in reverse gear, then when you release the cluth the car just doesnt go anywhere? :help:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Tom!!

reverse is a funny ol gear. whereas normal gears pull it into gear. reverse pushes it out. (go figure) you have to have it right in. if it dont move, pop it in neutral, and try again

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Tom!!

reverse is a funny ol gear. whereas normal gears pull it into gear. reverse pushes it out. (go figure) you have to have it right in. if it dont move, pop it in neutral, and try again

Thanks alot,

Ill bare this in mind next time :thumbsup:

Tom!!

• 3 months later...

Evening all

Regarding the selection of reverse gear, it’s a Toyota design. It’s to stop you from accidentally selecting reverse when moving forward.

The correct procedure for getting reverse is to release the clutch for 2 seconds, reapply the clutch and then it will slide into reverse without any problems.

Hope this helps. :D