Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 6 3sge Power Delivery

Gundy

Ok,everyone's probably sick of hearing about my query over the power delivery of my gen 6 GT :lol:

But seriously,somebody out there must be able to help!!

I thought i was on to something when i found out T-VIS reliability probs but i've now discovered that gen 6 3sge's don't have T-VIS :(

So,what the :censor: is wrong with my motor?????????????

How do the gen 6 engines control the power output?????????????

Ahhhh this is a good point because i have heard this from many people that the gen 6 3sge had tvis but i never thought it did and actually found no evidence of this!

Whats your setup again? induction kit exhaust etc

What have you tried so far to resolve the problem?

As far as mods, i've put an induction kit and ecotek valve on.I've got a mongoose full system but am awaiting a de-cat pipe to arrive home before i fit it.

I've changed the fuel filter,spark plugs,oil and filter,added some redex injector cleaner and slick 50.

Phoned the local toyota dealers and spoke to the foreman who didn't seem interested at all,he sez if it ain't broke don't fix it,he didn't seem to believe that i experienced a surge in power at 5100rpm when i first bought the car :angry:

I'm certain theres something wrong with the car,its definately not anywhere near as quick as it was wen i first bought it :(

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Ecotek valve! This makes more sence now.

I had a similar problem when i had a 98 GT with and ecotek valve.

Have you tried closing the ecotek valve off?

I found that EFI cars in my opinion are a pain the the ***** with Ecotek valves and i dont use the thing on my GT4 because it isnt worth the hassle.

See the ECU compensates for the vacume flucuation the valve causes and once or twice where i had set the valve to the correct place it eventually stopped working properly because the ecu learnt the way to work around it.

this sounds like im takin the :censor: , can you send me a pic of your engine? - just wanna see what it looks like.....

ive got a few bits off another 89 celica, which i think might of been gen 5, but im not totally sure, cos it might be from a jap import

Sorry edited my above reply with more info

Honestly close the thing off or if possible remove it and put your original hose back on.

Then reset your ecu or maybe initially before you reset the ecu drive it around for a bit to see if it makes a diffrence.

Id bet you the ecotek valve is causing it because when it is correctly tuned the valve can make your engine run slightly crispier but because of the ecu compensating it eventually goes back to normal or even worse which i think is what you are experiencing.

Also - edited yet again

This would explain how your kick has dissapeared!

:thumbsup:

cheers mate,i'm going to try it right now and let you know how i get on in 10mins :thumbsup:

novamuncher,i can't seem to upload my pici,wot format does it have to be in?!?!?

jpg (jpeg)

(editted)

sorry if i souned off lol, was reading up on ecotek's site and got all caught up in it- so, back to your car...

there isnt a problem with it, except it gaines power at so many revs? - or it runs like a bag of spanners until so many revs?

closed off the ecotek valve and done what you said,it did make a bit of a difference lower down in the rpm range but still hasn't brought the surge back!!

I'll take the valve off completely tomorrow and also try it with the original airbox back on.The car was completely standard when i used to get the surge but if i remember correctly i fitted the ecotek valve not long after i bought it when the car was running fine.

the car runs perfect,smooth as you like except for the fact that it doesn't surge at 5000oddrpm like it used to.could it be the emissions system?ie :censor: cat?the sound from the exhaust used to change note quite a bit when it surged but that doesn't happen anymore either :(

perhaps i should just get it checked over by a pro but i'd rather try and find the fault myself instead of payin some grease monkey 20quid an hour and come up with nothing :lol:

i knew i should of chosen the mechanical trade instead of electrical :lol:

could be that or the lambda sensors f :censor: , unless youve burned your cat out, but the cat wont do any favours for performance anyway

i'm just waiting on a de-cat pipe to come home,then i can put new system on.the cat's probably the original one from new cos the flanges are rusted together!!thats why i have to wait for the decat pipe before i can fit my nice new shiny mongoose system on.should be getting fitted next week so that'll be another possible cause eliminated :D

I had the same problem months ago. Removed the cone filter and went back to the original airbox with HKS panel filter. The surge came back again and the car works better.

The filter must have been sucking hot air from the engine bay.

Also I think when the AICS valve opens it needs an extra amount of air, and in my opinion that is the use of the extra small box just after the air box.

To be honest I find my car runs better with the original air box setup.

in my opinion that is the use of the extra small box just after the air box.

Thats the resonator, all that does is make the engine less noisy. Unless your model is diffrent. :thumbsup:

cheers lads for the help,i'll get on to it right away :thumbsup:

Goodbye ecotek,Hello airbox :lol:

i'll let you guys know how i get on :)

well,i've removed the ecotek valve and replaced the 57i kit with the original airbox and,yes!!its certainly running a hell of alot better :thumbsup:

its still not giving the same surge i had wen i first bought it but its still surging more,i've also noticed a couple of leaks in the exhaust system so hopefully wen i get the new one on all my problems will be sorted :D

i should notice a slight diference with taking the cat out even!?!?!?

does anyone know how much extra bhp i should get from doing this?i've been told i could expect anything up to about 8bhp,is this right?