Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Mk1.6 Is Nearly Ready!

msherry21

Hi all, been away for some time, really busy the last year or so. I bought a mk1b about a year ago at a guess and it was awesome and a !Removed! bargain!

After thinking about what I could do to the engine to give it a bit more kick and even though the handling was incredible I decided to upgrade everything and replace the engine alltogether with something a "bit" bigger.

So after much thought and loads of questions around the forums I decided on the Camry 3.0L 24 Valve V6 engine...and then I'll throw a TRD supercharger on top of that! Suspension was Koni shocks and springs all round, new bushes all round and bigger ARBs from the MK2 and anything else I could think of to improve the awesome handling!

....So onto the pics so far...

This is how it looked pretty much when I bought it, apart from the wheels, I threw them on for a laugh.

806792381a1097478173b531504001l.jpg

New seats were required if i was going to be taking this thing on track,and thats what I bought it for!

Picture015-1.jpg

then I'd need a harness:

Picture016.jpg

Then all the suspension was removed, powder coated and parts upgraded:

Picture003.jpg

all done:

Picture007.jpg

Then it was off to Paul Woods at WOODSPORT in Durham for the engine conversion:

Picture017.jpg

The old gutless 4AGE:

sherrys4ain.jpg

The engine bay and firewall ripped apart:

sherrysbootwallout.jpg

The V6 stripped:

sherrysv6stripped1.jpg

The V6 rebuilt, I thought I'd go mad on the colours as its going to be dragged round the track anyway.

sherrysenginebuilt1.jpg

The Supercharger arrived:

Picture020-1.jpg

The interior of the mk1:

sherrysdash.jpg

The engine dummy fitted:

sherrysenginedummyfit3.jpg

The engine complete!

sherryscompletedbay.jpg

The worlds shortest car exhaust? (Apexi N1 modified for V6)

sherrysexhaustbackbox.jpg

Previous wheels were skimpy and would never get the power down so I bought these Borbet A's, 16" and 7.5" at the front and 9" at the rear!! that should help.......DISH!!!

cf4e_12.jpg

Thats about where we are at the moment, Mr Woods has been awesome, and really turned this car into a true beast and 1 off car...so unique!

Since then I have also got a quaife steering rack to fit and a 6psi pulley for the charger, already after more power and I havn't driven the thing yet! I'll keep this thread updated with more pics. Probably another 2/3 weeks until its back on the road.

Let me know what you all think.

cheers,

Michael.

Nice to see its almost finished man... Seems like an age since you bought the MK1!

When you realise you dont want the rev3 anymore, give me it.. :lol:

Seriously though, it looks like a hell of a lot of work has gone into that so congrats and mucho respect and admiration. :)

Thanks guys, Thanks for all the kind comments. Its certainly going to be different to the mk2, can't wait to take it for a good blast when its finished, should be insane! I'll keep you all upto date with its progress.

Just a few more pics to show the little tweaks that nobody really thinks of when they see the engine in the bay:

The Battery relocated to the font boot:

sherrysbatterytray.jpg

The ACT clutch and Fidanza flywheel:

sherrysclutchon.jpg

sherryspressureplatefitted.jpg

A shot from the rear, you don't get to see how wide the wheels hang out from this shot:

sherrysonitsass.jpg

One of the suspension back on and exhaust:

sherrysexhaustfitted.jpg

Watch this space...

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

New celica GT4 discs and calipers added along with braided hoses, its gonna need to stop quick!

sherrysbrakes4.jpg

2mm of clearance, tight but thats the way we like it!

sherrysbrakes5.jpg

More to come tomorrow hopefully.

Thats one pretty car :drool: . Just out of interest what sort of power should the engine be putting out. I thought the V6 from the camys where around 190bhp anyway.

Also have you taken care of the body work on the car (it looks good in the pics) but we all know how they rust to bits.

Thats gonna be one hell of a street sleeper.

cause I already have a tuned 3S you fool, what would be the point?

The Mk1 is a much lighter car. Big difference.

Also, I meant seriously tuned. Bigger turbo etc. It would be a flying machine.

thats gonna be a quick beast.... :eek:

much respect for the work you are putting in to that car

J

Jim, I'll be doing that to the mk2, theres no point in having 2 2 seater cars aiming for the same goal, this car isn't about top speed, its about handling and low end torque track car, not some laggy motorway cruiser.

• 4 weeks later...

Well done mate :thumbsup:

About time a big power conversion will be used for something decent B) There's far to many TB people saying they will do this and that with the car and never bother going the distance... There was a track day listed on the TB forums. I went to Marshal it just to see what a big powered MK1 could do. No one showed :thumbsup:

I am helping out with a 3SGTE conversion ATM which we know will be used on track. But I have my reservations of it's handling & stopping (the owner does not want to go for 185 calipers yet :rolleyes:

We have a dedicated MK1 N/A track car putting out 130BHP-ish and a MK1 Supercharger (tweeked to 180BHP with 215 p/ft torque) that goes on track occassionally. We still find we are quicker around a track in the N/A, but this is because we are probably not afraid to damage the N/Ail :lol:

Where/when do you plan your first track outing?

Please let us know how you get on with the car on track :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

i sooo sooo need shotgun ride in that man! :lol:

Nice one bud... dont you just love it when a plan comes together.. ;)

System G, will hopefully be going out on track real soon, knockhill being the first as its nearest to me. after that, everytrack I can get too, cars still not finished though, still needs a respray(being done today) same colour and the front suspension and quaife rack still needs fitting, about a weekends work in total. so hopefully be on track next weekend or the one after.

Coolio B)

Keep us updated :thumbsup:

That steering rack sounds ace too. But I find the stock system quite capable ontrack, although sharp hairpins could benifit from one B)

I know what you mean, I'll fit it and see how it feels, if I prefer the stock rack I'll change over and eBay the quaife one, although knockhill has alot of tight corners and I'll be there more often, so we'll see what happens.