Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake? Noise.

Pyewacket

Hi,

Can anyone help?

I have metallic ring coming from my front wheels. When I am driving or rolling car in neutral I hear:

ting - ting - ting - ting. As the wheels turn.

It was slight, got louder, now very loud.

Sounds like someone hitting the disks with a spanner.

The faster I go, the faster the ting - ting. So at 30 mph it is an incessant metallic rattling noise. So loud it is now embarrassing to drive the car. I have had everything checked at garages and no-one can find anything loose, missing etc.

This has been going on for months, getting louder and louder.

I am almost at the stage of selling the car it is so damn annoying.

If anyone can provide any suggestions, please, please, do so.

thanks

This might sound stupid, but your break pads might be very worn. :huh: They sound like ting's when they are very thin, due to a 'thin shim' which touches the disc when the pad is worn thin.

If they are OK then the disc ( s ) might be warped, the shim could be touching the disc.

Another possibility is a piece of 'grit' or other 'foreign body' has become bedded in the pads.

This might sound stupid, but your break pads might be very worn. :huh: They sound like ting's when they are very thin, due to a 'thin shim' which touches the disc when the pad is worn thin.

If they are OK then the disc ( s ) might be warped, the shim could be touching the disc.

Another possibility is a piece of 'grit' or other 'foreign body' has become bedded in the pads.

If its the latter one way of getting it out is to find somewhere quiet, stick it in reverse then get a bit of speed up (but nothing crazy) then brake quite hard. Usually dislodges anything stuck in the pads I find.

Thanks.

Like to boss said. And I did the same thing Jackal said once and that worked for me. But I'm curious about what you said about the metallic ring coming from the front wheels? Can you see it? Is it a ring on the breaks or on the alloy or the central wheel base? If so can you show us a picture of it?

But I'm curious about what you said about the metallic ring coming from the front wheels? Can you see it? Is it a ring on the breaks or on the alloy or the central wheel base? If so can you show us a picture of it?

Think he meant ring as in a noise !! :wacko: :)

I had all the brakes renewed because i thought the same thing. Initially, when it only came from one wheel and was very quiet i thought it was the screech indicators denoting brake wear. Then it came from both wheels and is very loud. I had all the brakes done, thinking it would stop. But no, if anything it's worse than before.

When I move the vehicle in neutral, in gear, or with the engine off it is still there, which makes me think it is running gear related and not engine.

The noise is related to speed of wheels turning, gets faster the faster the wheels go round.

It almost sounds like someone tapping on bicycle spokes with a spanner. 1 revolution of the wheel makes 1 'ting'. I tapped my key on the disc and it sounds suspiciously similar.

I have checked the splash guards in case they where bent and touching the discs but they are fine.

I am so peed off with the noise now I hate to drive the car. It is embarrassing. Even if I turn my stereo up to LOUD, I can still hear the noise, and I feel like a fool driving around with a mega-loud stereo.

I have been to 5 mechanics and none can trace the noise.

On a similar note. My back pads have a thin metal shim stuck to the outside which located onto some pins at either end. My front pads do not have these and there is no provision on the pad for any shim to be fitted. Are my front pads supposed to have the shims? I asked a question about this months ago but no-one replied. I suspected the brakes back then. This has been rattling for a year now.

How about jacking up the car so one wheel at a time is off the ground and spinning them by hand. I guess that way you can detect what wheel or wheels the sound is coming from as well as been able to see better where its radiating from.

Also does it change in pitch/volume if you have full steering lock on?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links