Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Corolla Sr Is Doing My Head In!

mervingiblet

I bought a brand new Corolla SR 1.6 on a 56 plate last September. First thing to bother me was the fuel consumption. It only does 27 - 30 mpg at best.

I took it back to Toyota last Jan and they said do a few more miles then it should improve.

I've now done 4000 miles and no change. I took it back last week and they've now had it for a week. I spoke to a Toyota technician and he said he's done a 25 - 30 mile road test and got 38mpg out of the car. So I went to pick it up today and they have only done 7 miles on it and the trip computer reads 23 mpg!

So I'm furious and tell them to keep the car and get it sorted.

So where do I stand now? I've been lied to and fobbed off by my Toyota dealer and my car is doing ******* mpg.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Are you getting frustrated by the mpg due to the trip computer?

Maybe it would be best to do a more accurate fuel consumption test which was done on Top Gear many years ago.

Fill up to the brim and re-set your odometer. Drive until you reach about a quarter of a tank.

Re-fuel and note how many miles you have done and how many litres of fuel you have just put in.

Divide the number of litres by 4.546 to get the gallons.

Then divide the miles into the gallons to get the accurate miles per gallon.

(Remember to reset the odometer after re-fueling to do the same test the next time you re-fuel)

You will also notice that by resting the trip computer after you have filed up (press and hold) and go driving it will read a higher mpg :thumbsup:

my car is doing ******* mpg.

Any suggestions?

Sell it and buy a diesel??

The Trip computer is a bit rubbish. Just reset it by holding the button in and run in on a full tank. Basically follow "the-voice-of-reason's" advice

I find that the trip computer can get stuck calculating averages and re-setting it works. Mind you, if you only do stop start town driving then you will suffer. You'll get about 34MPG out of that max. Longer journeys for me, 38-41MPG is attainable.

I've done the petrol test but still get poor mpg. If I could get 34mpg I would be ecstatic!

I've just got off the phone with the dealer and he's going to speak to Toyota direct to try and sort it. He said there is nothing they can do if no faults come up anywhere on the car. He also said that the mpg quoted for my Corolla is 31mpg!

Anyone wanna buy an SR?

i have got a corolla t3 02 model... and my car can do 55.6 mpg if follow the windtail on a motoway...

i've got a t sport and if i really really cane it. like doing 36 miles in 22 minutes along a twisty road I still get 30mpg.

i wonder if your temp sensor or thermostat has failed.

• 3 weeks later...

i drive a 55plate 1.6 corolla and mines averages 35mpg and i drive it hard 80% of the time.

the sr corolla is listed as having a mpg of 35. is the car running rich, the o2 sensor maybe faulty and thus giving false readings resulting in the ecu supplying more fuel than needed

I've also got a 56 plate SR, bought new in September, and done almost 14k now. My commute to work through Windsor/Slough is very slow, stop start, and I'm getting just over 30mpg from the computer. Last night did Lowestoft to Bracknell, about 160 miles of A-road, motorway driving and was up to around 32mpg, but that was pushing it hard. Best I've know was around 38mpg on a steady run along the M3, but I'd rather be at 32mpg and having a bit more fun!

Just to throw in my computer based consumption figures, I have a 55 plate 1.6 T-Spirit and on a long run averaging around 60mph get around 40mpg (according to the trip). Mind you, the trip computer seems very flaky to me. It certainly varies considerably and I've taken to resetting it once the engine's warm (say after 5-10 minutes of a run) which appears to kick start it into action (otherwise it's very slow to change).

Haven't yet tried the proper (a la Top Gear) way of assessing consumption.

Following on from what I wrote earlier, I left work late today and had a very steady run, was hard to drive that way, but achieved 39.3mpg for a 9 mile journey once I got away from Slough with an average speed of 34mph off the computer (reset whilst at 60mph).

Just filled up to the car and plan to work out the real MPG to see how it compares to the computer

The Results

Computer says - 31.9 mpg

Calculations says - 36.8 mpg (372 miles from 46 litres)

So for anyone just using the computer and annoyed with what it's saying, I'd suggest doing a proper calculation!

hi

my nethew works at toyota and i also own a 1.6 sr and the computer is a loud of rubish basically and i find petrol consumption high but i like the car so am not to boverd about petrol lol but overall the sr is an amazing car

hi

my nethew works at toyota and i also own a 1.6 sr and the computer is a loud of rubish basically and i find petrol consumption high but i like the car so am not to boverd about petrol lol but overall the sr is an amazing car

Wow another balearic blue SR owner! how rare are we! :thumbsup:

My trip computer is usually on the money I drive a 2.0 D-4D but it does need to be reset every now and then because it seems to get stuck and stay on one figure!

• 3 weeks later...
hi

Wow another balearic blue SR owner! how rare are we! :thumbsup:

My trip computer is usually on the money I drive a 2.0 D-4D but it does need to be reset every now and then because it seems to get stuck and stay on one figure!

:yahoo: the best colour you can get the sr in its gr8 but the front of the car seems to be gettin so meny stone chips :angry: went into toyota and they just said well "we dont no what to do" and then quated me 600 to repair a dent in my wing n spray it :blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links