Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ae86 Problems

hachi-roku

I have just bought my self an ae86, which by the way has given me a grin the size of a country :D. however I was wondering if you guys knew of any regular things to look out for on them, so I am ready in a way before it happens... plus I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the board :).

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Hi hachi-roku

I wanted to say hi as no-one else seems to have done! Not sure what an ae86 is, I'll have a look. :thumbsup:

hi back! i'm only new too!

anyway... The first thing to go on the ae86 twincam is the crankshaft. don't run the car if it is even slightly low on oil. If so you are in danger of wearing it down. Do not push the engine hard when cold or the bearings will cease up and its big money to replace, providing you can find a replacement! (by pushing it hard i mean doing doughnuts!). gearbox is fairly reliable, just ensure that you take care when shifting.

Well done mate, dont really know much about them im afraid. only thats its got a 4AGE in it though :D Im sure we would all love to see some pics though. :thumbsup:

Very nice :thumbsup: Just enough work needed to keep you busy over winter, ready for the summer hey :P :P Just polish that engine bay :D :D :D :D

Yeah, something for Saturday that :)

Any suggestions as to how to clean it? :thumbsup:

Engine degreaser, autosol from halford, and elbow grease.

Hi hachi roku,

I can say the AE86 does have some problems due to its advanced age especially its chasis may have rust. You have some structural damage on your rear tailend. Your engine is an original 4age motor RWD but it shd be a 86kw engine. Based on appearance. I am assuming it is a early model (83-84) GTV model with no power steering. Finding rims for AE86 is unusually difficult especially with the correct offset. Engine wise you may have to get a mechanic to look at the condition especially if it has been trashed. Gearbox wise I am assuming it is still running on the original T50 gearbox and by now... a 20yr old box that may need some rebuilding. Ditto for the engine. AE86s are difficult to find parts ... especially JDM parts. Lastly, I believe that the LSD may be worn but may need a replacement. Heaps to do if you are into mods else a brillant car to drive. You can email me if you have any queries or need any parts

simkevin@hotmail.com