Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Celica Alarm Problem

nigel8558

help i have a 1999 celica 1.8i sr last week the alarm went off the only way i could shut it off was to take the Battery off when i re connected the Battery the next day the central locking and arming of the alarm worked fine but with additions one beep for arming and two for disaming strange never heard it do that before but now no siren only the indicator light flash and you can still start the car

i have pulled the connector by the siren and when i re connect it sounds every few minuets but i can't disarm it is there any way to reset this problem also sometimes i get 16 beeps when i reconnect the siren tvss iiib alarm

Mmmm this sounds a bit strange. Sorry can't help but I know a man that can (possibly!!) He should be able to give you a bit of advice as I think he has the same system and has been the Guru on this matter for a while now :D Haven't you Sotal??!! Depends on when he is next online though!! Be patient my friend.

I wouldn't say guru ;) - Just had lots of problems with mine which I luckily keep managing to fix :lol:

To be honest that doesn't sound like the normal Celica Alarm system, has it had another one added alongside the TVSS IIIB

I'm pretty sure the TVSS IIIB doesn't have the ability to beep, it does all it's status alerts through the red LED behind the gearstick.

When was your car made? The reason I ask is from Nov 1999 Toyota started using the TVSS IVS - which is a different alarm altogether.

The only thing I can really suggest is to take the Battery off for an hour or so, and try again - but that's a long shot as you've already had it off once.

I'll keep thinking and post anything else - just have a look at the control unit under the gear stick to make sure you have got the TVSS IIIB

hi it was registerd in 1999 on a t plate last ones of this shape only 500 of the sr just before the vvti

had a look under the gear stick the box has tvss on it and a dial on the right had side looking from above

any help nigel

Sounds like the TVSS IIIB,

not known one to ever react like that, the dial on the side adjust sensitivity - you could try turning that right down (should have a plus and a minus on it) then see if it keeps going off??

Other than that I can't think of anything else - sorry

well surprise its finally corrected took the glove box out behind it on the left hand side is a black box (key transponder) i pulled the cable connector did'nt really do anything at first then i plugged it back in the siren went off the onl way to stop it was to pull the main fuse out no joy there but hey lets mess around with it for a while i can on short the system !!!! turn the key to acc ad pushed the connector back in lo the beeps had gone the siren did'nt sound tried to arm the alarm and guess what the alarm is now all back working what a game thanks all

may b this may help some one :yahoo:

Just out of interest was there a button on the unit you were playing with? I've heard about a green button hidden somewhere on one of the units but the TVSS IIIB is used on other cars like the lexus is400 and the rav4 so it might be different in them.

did't take the unit off sorry only pulled the connecter out it did say on someting like code key ecu ??or remote ecu one thing i have noticed although the alarm goes off now and the indicators flash i can still drive the car i thought it immoblised the car as well ????? thanks for your help

• 3 months later...

The reason for this is:

The 16 beeps means that the siren back-up Battery (built into the siren box) is not charging enough anymore because of age or water ingress (usually age). It beeps 16 times when the voltage from the backup Battery is less than a certain voltage level. This is to notify you to replace the siren box. It is held in with 2 screws and has 2 wires coming out of it with a plug connector for connection to the wire to the alarm ECU, so it's easy to replace. The TVSS IIIB siren is currently £49.76 (incl VAT) from Toyota dealers. :toast:

I realise the above is for the Gen6 car, but I've got problems with the standard system in my Gen 7 (and I've only had the car a week!).

The problem has only started this morning, but basically the alarm keeps setting itself off. I've checked to make sure both doors, boot and bonnet are all firmly shut properly, but still the little %$(er keeps going off. Hasn't happened at all in the other 6 days of having the car.

Could this be just a proximity issue, and if so is the control box in the same place (under the gear stick) on the Gen 7?

For the time being I've disconnected the Battery. Not a permanent solution, but effective for now. Certainly don't want to be going to see Mr T if I can avoid it at all!

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 year later...
The reason for this is:

The 16 beeps means that the siren back-up battery (built into the siren box) is not charging enough anymore because of age or water ingress (usually age). It beeps 16 times when the voltage from the backup battery is less than a certain voltage level. This is to notify you to replace the siren box. It is held in with 2 screws and has 2 wires coming out of it with a plug connector for connection to the wire to the alarm ECU, so it's easy to replace. The TVSS IIIB siren is currently £49.76 (incl VAT) from Toyota dealers. :toast:

Apologies for digging up such an old thread - but this is exactly what mine is doing on my '99 Gt.

I thought it was down to my Battery finally giving up the ghost and randomly tripping the alarm - or that one of my sensors (door, bonnet, boot) was iffy. Even last week, when i parked up, used the fob to lock the car withon 2 seconds the alarm was sounding ?

How easy is this to replace - at the moment, I just disconnect my negative lead from the Battery when I leave it.

I realise the above is for the Gen6 car, but I've got problems with the standard system in my Gen 7 (and I've only had the car a week!).

The problem has only started this morning, but basically the alarm keeps setting itself off. I've checked to make sure both doors, boot and bonnet are all firmly shut properly, but still the little %$(er keeps going off. Hasn't happened at all in the other 6 days of having the car.

Could this be just a proximity issue, and if so is the control box in the same place (under the gear stick) on the Gen 7?

For the time being I've disconnected the battery. Not a permanent solution, but effective for now. Certainly don't want to be going to see Mr T if I can avoid it at all!

Cheers,

Mike

The most common cause of this happening is something metallic like Keys or Coins left in the Centre Console or Cup Holders. The sensitivity of the Sensors can be adjusted under the Centre Console.

The reason for this is:

The 16 beeps means that the siren back-up battery (built into the siren box) is not charging enough anymore because of age or water ingress (usually age). It beeps 16 times when the voltage from the backup battery is less than a certain voltage level. This is to notify you to replace the siren box. It is held in with 2 screws and has 2 wires coming out of it with a plug connector for connection to the wire to the alarm ECU, so it's easy to replace. The TVSS IIIB siren is currently £49.76 (incl VAT) from Toyota dealers. :toast:

Apologies for digging up such an old thread - but this is exactly what mine is doing on my '99 Gt.

I thought it was down to my Battery finally giving up the ghost and randomly tripping the alarm - or that one of my sensors (door, bonnet, boot) was iffy. Even last week, when i parked up, used the fob to lock the car withon 2 seconds the alarm was sounding ?

How easy is this to replace - at the moment, I just disconnect my negative lead from the Battery when I leave it.

Yes it sounds exactly the same problem. Buy a new alarm box from Toyota as detailed above and get them to fit (0.5-1hr labour I think, ask for quote), or to fit it yourself:

- jack up nearside front wheel

- remove wheel

- sitting on the nearside of the car, looking forward, towards the front part of the inner black plastic mud guard,

- remove the screws holding this to the outer rim of the body and bumper.

- bend the pastic out, you will see the siren box below the headlight held on with 2 phillips head bolts holding the siren box bracket to the chassis

- unplug siren box by holding down the lock tab and pulling the plugs apart

- unwind the cable remembering the way the cable was wrapped around the box

- attach the new box loosley to the new bracket in the same way as the old one

- fix the new bracket with box to the body

- angle the box in the same way as before removal

- tighten the box to the bracket

- wrap the cable around in the same way as before removal

- plug in the new box connector to the source cable

- bend the mud guard back into place and screw in place

- test.

James

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I have a 1997 Celica (1.8ST) and I returned home yesterday, locking it as normal. Later on, I ventured out once again, however, the open door/alarm disarming button on the key fob is not working. The light still comes on, implying that the Battery, even if weak, is still working. In the interim prior to replacing the Battery in the fob, I was wondering if there is a relatively easy way of deactivating the alarm, as although I can still drive the car, the alarmed remains 'armed' and as such, comes on for 30 seconds every time I go or arrive anywhere.

ive been having trouble getting the alarm on mine working.

think its the same as nigel is saying, but ive not even got nearly the technical knowhow with alarms to fix it myself.

it arms and the indicators flash but no siren. i think the Battery was disconnected at some point in the garage where i bought it.

its a clifford concept 300. nigel, is that what you have fitted?

• 4 weeks later...

We have another sort of alarm problem in that the alarm on my wife's 4 year old Celica keeps going off. We think it's related to the fact that she only drives about 10 miles per day to work and back so maybe the Battery loses its charge which maybe trips the alarm??? If she goes on a long run it doesn't seem to happen. The Battery is only 1 year old. Do other people experience this problem? Any solution other than regularly putting the Battery on charge?

Thanks

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 7th Gen Celica and am currently experiencing alarm problems.

When i first purchased her 4 years ago, i had a problem with the alarm going off at all hours, but i did get to the bottom of that problem :D

She has the spoiler fitted, and where the centre column of the spoiler, is attached to the boot lid, i found this was not forming a complete seal.

So any water from rain or washing the car, found it's way in.

Inside the boot lid, behind the plastic fascia, is the locking mechanism for the boot. Connected to the lock, is a terminal connector/sensor, which forms part of the locking system, this tells the car if the boot is closed or open.

As a result of the water damage over time, this element had corroded and kept shorting the circuit (particularly when it rained), which led to the alarm triggering, believing the boot to be open, when actually locked.

A further sign of water leakage can be found on the hook in the boot well, of which the lock connects to when closed.

That was then and i have been problem free for the last 4 years, but now it's happening again, but this time not the same thing :huh:

Hopefully the above will help some of you out, by giving you a different area to check, in the meantime, can anybody tell me where the alarm sensor control box is on the 7th Gen Celica ? Is it under the central console does anyone know?

Any help, greatfully received

Cheers

hitfor6