Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v Supply On A T180?

stv1x

Anyone had an accessory, such as a Road Angel/Garmin/etc, hard-wired into their RAV?

I've had a quick look but to be perfectly honest I haven't a clue at what I'm looking at :blink:

I'll probably get the local Halfords to install but I know that they're just going to ask where the power supply is located like they did last time on a VW Golf. That time was pretty simple as the ash-tray housed a 12v supply but with the RAV??

Steve

If you dont know how to find a 12v feed i would suggest you get someone/somewhere else to sort it for you.

If the guys at Halfords cant find a 12v feed themselves maybe they should look into finding another job! lol.

You could buy a cheap test lamp, connect one end to an earth point and probe a few wires to find the feed.

There will be a 12v constant feed connected to the rear of the headunit/stereo.

Mart

Never played with one of those things. Does it need a constant 12V?

If not, what about the back of the cigarette lighter? there's an "ignition" switched 12V feed into there.

Of course, you may not want some Halford's youth ripping your trim off. I know I wouldn't. My heart is always in my mouth when I take trim off, but I'd rather wreck it myself.

There are 2 clips and 2 claws holding in the cigarette lighter bit. I can probably find a bit more info if you want it.

• 2 weeks later...

Never played with one of those things. Does it need a constant 12V?

If not, what about the back of the cigarette lighter? there's an "ignition" switched 12V feed into there.

Of course, you may not want some Halford's youth ripping your trim off. I know I wouldn't. My heart is always in my mouth when I take trim off, but I'd rather wreck it myself.

There are 2 clips and 2 claws holding in the cigarette lighter bit. I can probably find a bit more info if you want it.

Well I booked it in at Halfords, went for a walk for an hour only to be told upon my return that they 'couldn't do it'! Apparently they couldn't find a 12v feed and were't prepared to dismantle the dash. They left me with the kit required to do a hard-wire install for my trouble despite the fact that I'd already bought this direct from Road Angel/Black Spot. :rolleyes:

As far as the horn goes, I had a quick look at the setup of the current horns (yes, unbelievably there are two of them as standard) but decided against trying to fit it myself. I pictured the scenario of getting the wiring wrong and bursting into flames the first time I used it :D

Next stop I guess will be to ask Toyota if they're prepared to install both hard-wire for Road Angel and the horn.

Thanks to those who gave me a few suggestions....I'll pass on even trying for now.

Steve

Steve,

Well I booked it in at Halfords, went for a walk for an hour only to be told upon my return that they 'couldn't do it'!

I'm too much of a cynic, but I can't say I'm not surprised.

Next stop I guess will be to ask Toyota if they're prepared to install both hard-wire for Road Angel and the horn.

Thanks to those who gave me a few suggestions....I'll pass on even trying for now.

I am going to do a 12V feed with the install of some more of my bits of kit. I've already had the dash apart once without damage. It's actually not too bad (but then everything is easy once you know!), but I can understand you passing on an attempt if your not confident on the wiring.

It's no bother to take some pictures next time I have it apart, but hopefully Mr T. will have sorted it for you by then anyway.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links