Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Air Conditioning

RHP

I know this has been covered before in a general sense, but would appreciate any feedback from those who have had similar problems.

Two days ago started to intermittently get obnoxious smells from the air vents when Air Conditioning switched on. Same problem with Air Contioning off with just fan blowing.

If you are a gardener, then smell is very like pelleted chicken manure (but stronger). Also reminiscent of sweaty socks and a rather over mature cheese.

I am assuming this is a Bacteria problem presumably originating in the Evaporator but having spread through the ductwork so as to be present even when Air Conditioning is off.

Does this present a health hazard, since even after not having been in the RAV for 24 hours I still have the smell (Bacteria?) in my nostrils.

What should I expect of my dealership? They sounded a little vague and unsure of what the problem is when I phoned and explained. RAV is going in on Tuesday for investigation. I assume their fix will be some sort of anti-Bacteria spray. Given the vehicle is only 6 months old, should this be fixed under warranty?

Thanks for any advice, especially if you are UK based as I am.

Sounds like the Passenger Compartment Air Filter (Located behind the glove box) needs replacing I think it was less than £30 to replace, This info is in the owners manual as you can replace this item yourself save paying the dealer if it not that smell maybe you have something stuck in the air vents it can happen all kinds of small furry animals can get inside your car sometimes.

• 3 months later...

yes i notice that problem the air con stinks after the air con first on then about 5 minutes the smell do go away never told the dealer

it was a load ex demo rav4 ng from toyota this rav4 had limo tinted windows and front chrome rav4 plate side step and rear step a proper posers car

i had the smelly air con for 8 days :P i didn't care at the time nor did i want to give the car back they ring me eveyday for the car and cant reach me :D but in the end i took it back after for 8 days and had to give it back cos i use too much money on petrol done 900miles :P the rav4 really do drink in the summer

ps:i only post here cos i just wanted to let the world know i really like this rav4 i feel such a poser in it :P :lol: :D :lol::lol:

• 8 years later...

My old lady commented on this when we first bought ours. Bought a filter for Mr T for about a tenner and it took about 5 minutes to change!.....The old filter was a right state with feathers and full leaves stuck in it!...You can also buy an aerosol can of air con cleaning spray which freshens up the ac system, however, I never needed to do this........instructions on how to change the filter it are on the Forum's main posts.

Good Luck

Cheers

A

sorry i am not UK based as asked, but firstly the main problem is that when A/C is OFF (it is presumed after the engine has stopped) the A/C evaporator ribs surface still had condensate and in order to prevent bacteria originating leading to such smell in question -- one should air an evaporator even about 5 minutes to have condensate vapored/dried. besides -- the drain tube of about 10 mm dia must be kept free of any blockade on drain hole. normally when aired the evaporator -- you can observe wet spot under the engine confirming this condensate is easy drained by air blowing from fan.

cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links