Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cai For Airbox

Gundy

This may sound silly but has anyone ever tried putin a cold air feed into the airbox?i know there is a pipe which runs fron the airbox to behind the bumper but what if you was to run another one to under the plastic pan which covers the underside of the engine and directly into the bottom of the air box so its actually gettin forced in when accelerating hard?

there isn't alot of room under the airbox but i'm sure it could be done some way or other!!!!

Hi gundy

I know that we have different cars but i have modified my airbox and i have drilled a series of 1" holes into the bottom of the box and attached a 76mm pipe right onto the airbox. Now when the car is under heavy acceleration say 3000/4000rpm you get a nice induction roar from the airbox.

If must sound good as when you boot it past someone walking they always turn around to look what the hell that was. It feels like the pick up is a lot better. All what is needed is to fit a performance panel filter. I think that would just finish off the car fine.

jerry!!

Gundy, it's worth trying mate... i'd go that route instead of an induction kit to be honest, unless you're gonna Shell out big money for the right induction kit anyway :bookworm:

i had a k&n 57i kit but it was suckin in toooooo much hot air and the car was runnin s :censor: t!!

thinkin about borin a 50mm hole in the underside of the airbox and putin a pipe straight into it :D

i'll try it today,thnx for the interest lads :thumbsup:

i had a k&n 57i kit but it was suckin in toooooo much hot air and the car was runnin s :censor: t!!

thinkin about borin a 50mm hole in the underside of the airbox and putin a pipe straight into it :D

i'll try it today,thnx for the interest lads :thumbsup:

The K&N isnt a cold air induction kit, it's simply K&N's cone filter kit, used to help fuel injected cars breath better than a standard airbox.

If your car was running worse than standard then your filter isnt fitted properly. The air box draws warm air too (check it when the car is hot). If you setup the filter again and reset the ecu it should be fine. It is going to need an air-intake. I put two in, one behind the Battery casing near the front wheel arch and one from behind the front lights. Of course yours may be different as I have a gen 5.

If K&N dont know what they are doing then why are they world renowned?

so why do you think you have to run a flexi 'cold air intake pipe' to the front of the car,to allow a direct feed of cold air straight to the filter!!surely we all know the colder the air-the denser?!?!?therefor allowing the filter plenty of air when its required.

and the airbox doesn't suck in hot air,the pipe which runs to the airbox is normally positioned behind the front bumper away from any under bonnet heat!!

the heat in the airbox when the engine is warm gets passed through the throttle body back into the airbox-you should note that when the engine is at the correct running temperature there isn't much under the bonnet that isn't hot!!

also,why do the new generation 2 k&n kits come with heatshields????and the typhoon type k&n's,which come with a pipe to replace the one from the throttle body which positions the filter down behind the bumper,which i would say was the best place for it.

theres no point having the filter surrounded by hot air,because if the air is hot-there isn't much of it!!

sure,the car was a bit quicker,but it didn't run half as smooth as it did with the standard airbox.

so why do you think you have to run a flexi 'cold air intake pipe' to the front of the car,to allow a direct feed of cold air straight to the filter!!surely we all know the colder the air-the denser?!?!?therefor allowing the filter plenty of air when its required.

and the airbox doesn't suck in hot air,the pipe which runs to the airbox is normally positioned behind the front bumper away from any under bonnet heat!!

the heat in the airbox when the engine is warm gets passed through the throttle body back into the airbox-you should note that when the engine is at the correct running temperature there isn't much under the bonnet that isn't hot!!

also,why do the new generation 2 k&n kits come with heatshields????and the typhoon type k&n's,which come with a pipe to replace the one from the throttle body which positions the filter down behind the bumper,which i would say was the best place for it.

theres no point having the filter surrounded by hot air,because if the air is hot-there isn't much of it!!

sure,the car was a bit quicker,but it didn't run half as smooth as it did with the standard airbox.

Firstly youve just contradicted yourself, secondly it isnt a proper cold air feed pipe, it's just a larger capacity tube (bit pointless I made my own) and the filter is designed to be lower restriction than standard.

If the area surrounding the airbox is hot then the air that passes through it is hot :rolleyes: If you want a cool air intake then buy one and you'll see the difference, but if like me (gen 5 celica) nobody does one for it then you'll have to make your own :thumbsup:

like i said,the car was quicker,but only at low-mid revs,when it started really sucking the power dissapeared.

and as far as making your own cold air induction kit-this is what this post is about.not about the 57i kits

by using the original airbox i intend to feed it with a new pipe running to the underside of the car to give a forced cold air intake into the airbox :D

like i said,the car was quicker,but only at low-mid revs,when it started really sucking the power dissapeared.

and as far as making your own cold air induction kit-this is what this post is about.not about the 57i kits

by using the original airbox i intend to feed it with a new pipe running to the underside of the car to give a forced cold air intake into the airbox :D

Your going to see more and more posts change from the original thread, that's quite common.

I'll stick with what I said about the 57i for the celica, but like I said before "I have a 5gen so it may differ". Also as the car moves quicker then surely it should improve cool airflow?

F :censor: it let's just agree to disagree keep playing with the air filters until you're happy with it.

yup,sounds like a good idea to me :thumbsup:

different people,different opinions,thats what its all about eh :lol:

yeah,the quicker you go the more cooler air is fed from outside the car,thats what i was meaning by cold air induction,just a misunderstanding me thinks.

i've tried every possible way to get the k&n goin right but it just wasn't happenin,it was fine for mid range torque,but as soon as i got past 5000rpm it just seemed to make alot of noise and go nowhere :(

anyways,got the airbox inducted and it seems to be going well,i'll try the K&N once i've got me exhaust fitted,maybe it'll go alright then!

see wot appens

lol- been reading through the posts as you do- the K&N 57i kit does do the job, but works better when you got a decent exhaust system fitted (i know you mentioned fitting one in the previous post).

the way to look at it, is the more cold air you can throw in, and hot air (exhaust gases) out, the better performance youll get with the right setup.

Makes sense to me hate :thumbsup:

jerry!!