Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Swap Or ......

conv.89

I just got my 89 celica GT conv. any1 know if i could maybe fix it up or maybe swap out the 3sfe engine with some thing else. its fast as it is but faster is better. he he he....n e info would be nice thanx

as far as non turbo engines are concerned the 3s-ge is the most powerfull with 173bhp if its a 1994-1999 model,basically the same as the 3s-fe but with a new and better head-hence -ge.if its a turbo then the 3s-gte is the one,a jap one would be the best pushin out 253bhp i think.i'm new to celica's but from what i've gathered on the forum these figures shouldn't be far off.

And now to start an argument....

Although the later 3s-ge had 17x bhp the earlier version of the enginess had 158 but more torque which means on the open road the earlier rev engine with less bhp was acvtually quicker...

Theory was tested by placing my rev 1 (158bhp) against system g's later spec 17xbhp mr2 on a dual carriageway with a rolling start....

The rev 1 was quicker :D :D :D

Ryan .. I think it's the same torque curve, just shifted by about 500 rpm up the range (so you get slightly more BHP).

On the Turbo'd engines the Gen2 and Gen3 are even more exadurated due to the differing turbos.

My Gen2 engine spools up so early compared to the Gen3's, but mine runs out of puff about 6k where the Gen3 goes to red line.

your probably right there rhaines,i own a gen 6 celica with a 3s-ge and its true,the car doesn't have much go in it untill you hit 5000rpm+,the weight of the gen 6 has quite a bit to do with it aswell

wile were on this topic i got the gen 4... seriously thinkin bout doin aconversion as its a lot cheaper than buyin a gt4 even thoguth the gt4 is 4wd.. ill get over it... just wonderin wat holds the older 3sgte's back power wise.. is it just the turbo or to do with the engine.. cauz i would replacin the turbo straight away anyway

I know the diff between the Gen2 and Gen3 3sgte (rev2 -> rev3 MR2 & ST185 -> ST205) engines are minimal. I think it was mostly a new turbo and bigger injectors.

There are also changes in things like the Rev2 didn't have a catchcan and the rev3 got a bigger actuator etc .. but I think the basics are the same.

kewl ill go the older one rebuild it with some forgies and a bit of boring.. new injectors bigger turbo .. cooler and ill be set for a wile lol

If you are going that far, I can't see the problem.

I have heard there were differances in the head too .. coolant lines etc, so I'm not sure if the Gen3 engine was any better.

Cause all you are really keeping is the block yeah, then with new cams/pistons etc.

BRAD my gt4 has heaps of puch I know why! I know people complain about the engine holding back and it does! The GT4 motor had a really strict ECU whilst the MR2 motor was alot more friendly and easy going when it came to fuel cuts and ohter things!!

OK 2 start! You told me that you wanted to do some performance upgrades! The 3sgte is a ***** weak engine stock! I hate to admit it but it is a shocker!!

Forgies and a head gasket will solve the problem but there are still fuel cuts and the tight ECU to get around. Unless you have a group A rallyee engine. :thumbsup:

My ECU is stock and if it was modified my car would LAUNCH!!! (honestly there are so many hold backs it is a joke!!! I even had a speed limiter of 120kms!!!! I had that changed ASAP :D )

I nearly have all the ingredients to make one hell of a GT4. A new ECU, injectors, fuel pump and a front mount and ill be doing some stupid times on the 1/4!!! My exhaust alone is worth 5000 and my stage 2 turbo is woth another 3000! So making this engine GO isn't as easy as it seems. The tourqe levels the 3sgte produces is amazingly high. Just some thought for people wanting to use a 3sgte motor! I could go on forever about it! It is a great engine though one of toyotas finest still being used and about to be used again in the "Caldina gt4". THANKS GUYS! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links