Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Is Doing Less Mpg Than A Ferrari Would Probaly Do Lol

acstreet

hello my mr2 friends and other toyota buddys :)

right i have a problem wiht my mr2 and this is the story :lol:

bascially i was getting really bad miles to the gallon so i check and search through all the forums to see why this could be, so i find it could be the lambda sensor. :unsure:

So i jack the car up and see a plug with one wire gone brittle and broke right on the plug.

anyway i just cut the wires either end and forget the plug, connect the wires together as they were connected before with some more wire. :!Removed!:

so i now have no plug but the wires are all connected, i think i have done the job and i see where it leads to and it comes from the loom just above the catalyc converter and it leads to somewhere round the back which i believe was the lambda sensor. :wacko:

Still no joy in petrol from this date is this because my lambda sensor may have blown and died out because god knows how long the wire was brittle for. :help:

So i would like to know is there some type of test you can do to see if the lambda sensor is working. :rolleyes:

any other advice if its not the lambda sensor mostly appreciated :thumbsup:

cheers andy

edit* just remembered my mr2 is a mk2 gti 1992 reg uk spec

What sort of MPG are you getting?

Mine is pretty shocking round town.

i think i get about 18-20 mpg

example i use half a tank of petorl on a 140 mile motorway run and the other half goes on town driving and i only get 200 miles to a full tank of petrol

and i know thats not right as my sisiter gets more mpg than me on her mr2 as she gets roughly 270+ miles to a tank on a town run. She might no put her foot down much.

i dont put my foot down atall sometimes in a tank and still get this mpg and miles to a tank

cheers

andy

sounds about right i used to get that on my old mr2 turbo, my rev3 turbo used to give slightly better economy

shaf... this is a NA bud... not a Turbo.. although i do know that the NA aint much better...

The first thing to do is to make sure that your tyres are correctly inflated. Also check for binding brakes.

As for as the lambda sensor goes you can buy a tester off the internet for about £10 but chances are that if it was broken the engine management light would come on to show there is a problem.

The first thing to do is to make sure that your tyres are correctly inflated. Also check for binding brakes.

As for as the lambda sensor goes you can buy a tester off the internet for about £10 but chances are that if it was broken the engine management light would come on to show there is a problem.

Cheers for your reply and everyone in that matter

I have checked tyre pressures and are correctly inflated also i have check the brakes and had them checked by a garage too. So im puzzled

My engine managment light hasnt come on but what i do know is the garage said my emissions were completly off scale and cant just simply tune it.

I have also reset the ECU just incase that went doo lally but im not sure now

Cheers

Andy

Cheers for your reply and everyone in that matter

I have checked tyre pressures and are correctly inflated also i have check the brakes and had them checked by a garage too. So im puzzled

My engine managment light hasnt come on but what i do know is the garage said my emissions were completly off scale and cant just simply tune it.

I have also reset the ECU just incase that went doo lally but im not sure now

Cheers

Andy

Did they tell you what was wrong with the the emissions (apart from being off the scale).

No they havnt as of yet as i needed to take the car as i needed it..

They did say actually that my coil leads wre incorrect lastt service was obviously useless not sure what effects the emissions

Andy

No they havnt as of yet as i needed to take the car as i needed it..

They did say actually that my coil leads wre incorrect lastt service was obviously useless not sure what effects the emissions

Andy

I dont think it will be the HT leads. You can tell a lot from the spark plugs. I suggest to take them out and have a look at the insulator around the electrode to see what colour they are. If they are black and sooty that would suggest you are running too rich - there are a few things that might cause this to happen.

Cheers bobby-h i willl go and check now if its not raining lol and check to see if there black..

if they are what can i do to overcome this matter

andy

Right spark plugs were only replaced about 3 weeks ago and look greyish around the spark area...

Now not to sure, i check my coil leads and they look to be a little poo as one of them dont plug in great!

i got it ticking over now and can here the engine hunting and i got it serviced by toyota when my spark plugs were done thats obviously not good.

Dad has lost the list whihc they advised me to do so its a bit of a pain.

They did mention the ECU may be busted causing the emissions to go everywhere

Andy

I think I only get 20mpg and mine has never failed on emissions, maybe you are just too heavy on your right foot!

I dont think im heavy footed at all in my opinion but i could be wrong and maybe thats right petrol to go that quick.

ive only just noticed it after having the car 2 years.

well just done a diagnostic check and no errors and the garage said its definatly running rich but dont know why..also couldnt tune it for some reason.

And my emmissions are well off scale apparently so who knows puzzled now!

Any other ideas why my emissions are out?

Could it be the ECU even though im not getting any error codes?

cheers

Andy

Right spark plugs were only replaced about 3 weeks ago and look greyish around the spark area...

Now not to sure, i check my coil leads and they look to be a little poo as one of them dont plug in great!

i got it ticking over now and can here the engine hunting and i got it serviced by toyota when my spark plugs were done thats obviously not good.

Dad has lost the list whihc they advised me to do so its a bit of a pain.

They did mention the ECU may be busted causing the emissions to go everywhere

Andy

Your spark plugs sound like they look normal but you could still be running rich (even if only slightly). I would start by checking some of the sensors on your engine.

As you have already said, it could well be a problem with your lambda sensor so its worth getting a lambda sensor tester. This is the one I have got and it can be connected up to the diagnostic connector in the engine bay Clicky

Other suspect sensors could be the throttle position sensor, engine temperature sensor or MAP sensor.

Cheers for all your help mostly appreciated

I just have done a diagnostic check to try and find error codes but have none, but is this %100 accurate..

Thanks Bobby-H i will look at getting one of those and its at the back of my head that is the problem and i want something which will prove me wrong and know that it might no be the sensor.

Andy

Cheers for all your help mostly appreciated

I just have done a diagnostic check to try and find error codes but have none, but is this %100 accurate..

Thanks Bobby-H i will look at getting one of those and its at the back of my head that is the problem and i want something which will prove me wrong and know that it might no be the sensor.

Andy

The ECU diagnostic should be pretty good but it might be that your lambda sensor has just deteriorated with age but isn't so bad as to trigger an error code.

Ok then ill get one of those ordered and ill let you know the outcome thanks for your help

Cheers

Andy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links