Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa Battery Or Electrics

When I turned the key I was getting a clunk and the engine did not turn. Subsequent turns of the ignition it was okay. So I checked the Battery and there was a clear indicator which means 'No charge'. Well the Battery is over 3 years old so I bought a new one from Halfords and had it fitted. Got the car home and the ignition is still 'clunking' and does not turn.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks

Could possibily be a problem with the starter motor?

Heard of similar symptoms and its turned out to be the contacts on the starter

Could possibily be a problem with the starter motor?

Heard of similar symptoms and its turned out to be the contacts on the starter

If it is the starter motor, how much am I looking at?

It could just be the contacts which wouldnt work out that expensive and as far as I am aware is a fairly straight forward job.

Try looking at www.estimaownersclub.com there are a few discussions on there regarding starters plus a few people who have done them before

• 3 weeks later...
It could just be the contacts which wouldnt work out that expensive and as far as I am aware is a fairly straight forward job.

Try looking at www.estimaownersclub.com there are a few discussions on there regarding starters plus a few people who have done them before

Yep...starter contacts on the solenoid wear out over time - this gives the dreaded clunk/click but no current to the starter. Starters very rarely fail on these buses - only know of one that has!!!

Cheap and easy fix - part comes as a Contacts "kit" from Toyota. Don't know about the Previ, but Esti's can certainly be repaired with the starter and solenoid in situ (just pop the solenoid cap off - AFTER you've disconnected the battery)

the link above is a good one if you're running an Esti, Previ or Aces :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links