Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another New Celica Owner...help..a Few Questions ?

newwy

Hi guys (and girls)

Just bought a 1990 Celica 2.0 GT. It is in good condition with 153,000 miles. It goes like **** off a shovel and having never driven anything like this before, its a bit scary at first. Had a 1.6 1992 Corolla Gli liftback for the past 10 years and it has been the most reliable and wonderful car ever. Sadly she has done 179,000 and is really showing her age.

Anyway, on to the Celica. I know lots about the Corolla but zero about Celica's.

There was a owners manual in the glovebox however it is dated 1992 so clearly it is not the original for my car. Am I right in assuming I have the 3S-GE engine ? And it does not have a catalytic converter ??

What oil should I be using ? What petrol ? Is it better to use the Shell V-Power 99 octane in this model.? The manual says use 95 RON .

The cambelt was done at 90,000 about 10 years ago...time for a change ?

What sort of mpg can I expect ? (how long is a piece of string!) I ain't no boy-racer so will not be flogging it.

Anything else I should know about being a new Celica owner??

I reckon its one of the tastiest looking cars I have seen, but then I am somewhat biased. I love all Toyota's.

Ten years of almost completely trouble free motoring with my bullet-proof Corolla has turned me Toyota obsessed. She is now over 15 years old, has covered 179,000 miles and still has the complete and original exhuast..!!! What more can I say.

The car in front really is a TOYOTA ....(I don't work for them by the way)!!

Thanks for any help.

Will post a pic soon.

Regards

Dave

Hello mate,

i think i'm right in saying this (I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong tho)

there were 2 versions of the ST182 Celica (1990-1994), which are -

2.0ltr Celica GTi (3S-GE) with 158BHP UK Model, and

2.0ltr Celica GTr (3S-FE) with 128BHP JDM Model

But there was also a ST183 (1990-1994), which is the same as the GTi but with 4 wheel steer and is a JDM Model.

Check on the bulkhead/Firewall, and it will tell you if its a ST182 or ST183, and check the vin plate or the Cam Belt cover and it will tell you if its the 3S-GE or the 3S-FE.

95 ron will be fine, the v-power would be needed if it was the GT-Four turbo'd version.

i personally would get the cam belt done, i believe that it is recomended that the cam belt is changed every 60,000 - 65,000 miles, and especially if its 10 years ago since the last change.

Celica's are fantastic cars, i've had mine for over 4 years, it's never let me down, (the only thing that has gone wrong was the petrol flap release cable snapped) and it's a car that you just love to drive.

Hello, and welcome along! :)

No pics = no car... :lol: Come on, post 'em up! :thumbsup:

Hello mate,

i think i'm right in saying this (I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong tho)

there were 2 versions of the ST182 Celica (1990-1994), which are -

But there was also a ST183 (1990-1994), which is the same as the GTi but with 4 wheel steer and is a JDM Model.

Check on the bulkhead/Firewall, and it will tell you if its a ST182 or ST183, and check the vin plate or the Cam Belt cover and it will tell you if its the 3S-GE or the 3S-FE.

95 ron will be fine, the v-power would be needed if it was the GT-Four turbo'd version.

i personally would get the cam belt done, i believe that it is recomended that the cam belt is changed every 60,000 - 65,000 miles, and especially if its 10 years ago since the last change.

Celica's are fantastic cars, i've had mine for over 4 years, it's never let me down, (the only thing that has gone wrong was the petrol flap release cable snapped) and it's a car that you just love to drive.

Shouldnt that be the other way around?????

Celica GTi is the 3S - FE??? and the GT-R should be the 3S-GE ????? Shouldn't it ????? Im sure my GT-R import was a 3s-ge. :help::blink:

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I will check the engine to see which actual model it is and also get some photos up soon.

It is a VERY nice car to drive. I find myself laughing every time I get in it and I have a smile wider than a Cheshire cat's when I get out. I recommend getting a car like this...it puts a bit of fun back into driving.

Although the wife thinks I am having a mid-life crisis... (What? You have bought a racing car!!) maybe I am having a midlife crisis, who cares... I'm having a ball in this Celica.

Thanks Teenage_Kicks1980, DefiantFrog, Calisto for your interest in my post.

Regards

Dave

Just took a quick photo out of the window at my new baby.. will post more soon.

post-33322-1179327851_thumb.jpg

Yep Definatley get the Cam Belt done, they are normally x number of miles or x number of years - which ever comes first and I'm sure the years one is only about 5.

Just had a look at the celica, very nice mate.

Calisto, you may be right, i'm working from memory to be honest, which is a little rusty....

Hi guys (and girls)

Just bought a 1990 Celica 2.0 GT. It is in good condition with 153,000 miles. It goes like **** off a shovel and having never driven anything like this before, its a bit scary at first. Had a 1.6 1992 Corolla Gli liftback for the past 10 years and it has been the most reliable and wonderful car ever. Sadly she has done 179,000 and is really showing her age.

Anyway, on to the Celica. I know lots about the Corolla but zero about Celica's.

There was a owners manual in the glovebox however it is dated 1992 so clearly it is not the original for my car. Am I right in assuming I have the 3S-GE engine ? And it does not have a catalytic converter ??

What oil should I be using ? What petrol ? Is it better to use the Shell V-Power 99 octane in this model.? The manual says use 95 RON .

The cambelt was done at 90,000 about 10 years ago...time for a change ?

What sort of mpg can I expect ? (how long is a piece of string!) I ain't no boy-racer so will not be flogging it.

Anything else I should know about being a new Celica owner??

I reckon its one of the tastiest looking cars I have seen, but then I am somewhat biased. I love all Toyota's.

Ten years of almost completely trouble free motoring with my bullet-proof Corolla has turned me Toyota obsessed. She is now over 15 years old, has covered 179,000 miles and still has the complete and original exhuast..!!! What more can I say.

The car in front really is a TOYOTA ....(I don't work for them by the way)!!

Thanks for any help.

Will post a pic soon.

Regards

Dave

Great choice of car. To answer a few of your questions, some of which have already been covered.

Car is pre cat so is 158bhp(aftter 92 they weher 154). Only one engine for UK spec, 3sge.

I use Castrol gtx high mileage oil for mine. Its pretty cheap but as the name suggests is for higher mileage engines. I think it is 10-40. I run all of my old toyotas on this and have never had a problem.

Petrol consumption is the only downside of the car. You can get up to 35mpg on the motorway if you stay around 70mph but around town i only get around 28mpg (although i only do really short journeys). Expect about 240-270 miles on a full tank (£40). To be honest you may as well save your money and just use standard 95 octane fuel and just use the occassional shot of redex to clean the injectors. What i would say is don't use supermarket fuel (it tends to have more aditives in it), use Shell instead.

The cambelt issue - due to the high mileage of your car i would guess you did not pay a lot of money for it. the cambelt change is quite expensive so depending on how long you will be keeping the car will decide if you think it is worth it or not. If you know someone who can check the condition of the cam belt i would let them do that as it may still be ok.

Celica GTi is the 3S - FE??? and the GT-R should be the 3S-GE ????? Shouldn't it ????? Im sure my GT-R import was a 3s-ge. :help::blink:

Thats what I thought...I've got a GT-R and its got the 3s-ge engine under the bonnet :blink:

Anyway nice motor you've got there, and the advice on oil etc is the same I'd give...fuel I do a little better (300-315 from a tank). Have many years of good motoring with it.

On the weekend I did about forty to the gallon on a 280 mile round trip that was predominantly 80mph motorway driving, although my engine's (3S-GE) only done less than half the mileage, so i don't know if you'll be able to achieve it, so 30-35 as mentioned before sounds like a good bet. The journey was on 95 Ron supermarket fuel, i don't bother with the high-octane for motorway cruising, it just seems like a waste of money to me if you're just maintaining speed.

Fuel economy is my only dislike of the car, but you get so much bang-for-your buck for the price you pay for it in the first place, it offsets the fueling costs. I moved from small, lightweight diesel french hatchbacks that'd do 60 to 70 mpg on the motorways to the celica, and needless to say I won't ever go back. enjoyment>>fuel economy.

In terms of Cats, mines a 91 JDM and it does have a cat. If you look under the car and see some metal heat shileding shortly after the exhaust flex-joint, then you've got a Cat on there.

As yours is a UK car, you won't need to bother with high-octane fuel. Only the JDM's need it for thier more aggressive ignition timing. The odd dash of redex is always a good idea.

Hi everyone

Many thanks for the replies, it is appreciated, and all the advice. Having only driven automatic Corollas for the past 10-11 years, this Celica is a breath of fresh air. Nothing wrong with auto Corolla's mind you, but the beasty Celica really puts a smile on my face. Jesus, it goes like **** off a shovel.

It took me a few days to get used to the manual box after all those years of driving the auto but I suppose its like riding a bike...once learnt, never forgotten.

Spent the weekend with various bottles of T-Cut ,Flash Dash and Back to Black etc tarting the old girl up. To be fair she was in pretty good shape anyway. Will post a couple of photos soon.

Dare I suggest that this generation of Celica is Toyota's finest (Gen 5) ??? Its such a beautiful looking car...can't stop looking at it...lol

Thanks again for all your replies

Dave

Dare I suggest that this generation of Celica is Toyota's finest (Gen 5) ??? Its such a beautiful looking car...can't stop looking at it...lol

Don't be daft... The G7 is the most beautiful looking Celica!! ;)

Thats what I thought...I've got a GT-R and its got the 3s-ge engine under the bonnet :blink:

Anyway nice motor you've got there, and the advice on oil etc is the same I'd give...fuel I do a little better (300-315 from a tank). Have many years of good motoring with it.

both gti and gt-r have the 3sge engine. The gtr also has four wheel steering (well some anyway) and other jap toys like climate control and folding mirrors. As said before, only one engine for the UK spec cars.

I have to agree that the gen 5 is one of the best looking cars there is and for a car that is up to 18yrs old i cannot think i many cars that still look as up to date.

both gti and gt-r have the 3sge engine. The gtr also has four wheel steering (well some anyway) and other jap toys like climate control and folding mirrors. As said before, only one engine for the UK spec cars.

I have to agree that the gen 5 is one of the best looking cars there is and for a car that is up to 18yrs old i cannot think i many cars that still look as up to date.

God mine must be a basic gt-r, I haven't got 4ws or folding mirrors...does have climate control which is brilliant, set it to 18 an let it do its thing.

I think the gen5 is one of the best looking cars, still gets heads turning through town :thumbsup:

Welcome :thumbsup:

Must say the Gen 5 has grown on me. Thinking of getting one (probably a 4) for the Girlfriend. I may use it occasionally, actually wonder what the power of the 4 is like to the Gen 6 GT/SS2. Anybody here owned both?

Welcome :thumbsup:

Must say the Gen 5 has grown on me. Thinking of getting one (probably a 4) for the Girlfriend. I may use it occasionally, actually wonder what the power of the 4 is like to the Gen 6 GT/SS2. Anybody here owned both?

Uk gt4 is 200bhp but jdm is 220. Its the same engine as the rev1&2 mr2 turbo. It will absolutly kill a standard gt due to the extra power, much improved torque and of course extra grip from the 4WD. They are (like all turbos) easily and cheaply tunable. I think standard they are 7secs to 60 which doesn't sound that fast but how compared to an na (gen5 or 6) that is still a lot quicker in real world times. Also quite easily achievable (no front end scrabbling for grip). How many people can actually get there celica to hit 60 in under 8secs?

On the downside if you think your n/a as poor fuel economy how does 20mpg sound?

God mine must be a basic gt-r, I haven't got 4ws or folding mirrors...does have climate control which is brilliant, set it to 18 an let it do its thing.

I think the gen5 is one of the best looking cars, still gets heads turning through town :thumbsup:

it was only the ST183's that had 4 wheel steer, some what like the ST203 and ST207 (Toyota Curren)

Your Mrs will have a quicker car Stevo!! Cant be having that!

You are quite right, maybe she should keep the Polo and I should get a second car, just incase, well...you know. I have to drive in the winter alot and of course the 4wheel drive will keep me much safer :thumbsup:

I just think that you can get them so cheap and they're a hell of a lot of car for the cash, same with the Ge6 really. Seems a shame not to grab the opportunity whilst they're still some descent average milers around.

Liking your new one BTW :thumbsup:

Uk gt4 is 200bhp but jdm is 220. Its the same engine as the rev1&2 mr2 turbo. It will absolutly kill a standard gt due to the extra power, much improved torque and of course extra grip from the 4WD. They are (like all turbos) easily and cheaply tunable. I think standard they are 7secs to 60 which doesn't sound that fast but how compared to an na (gen5 or 6) that is still a lot quicker in real world times. Also quite easily achievable (no front end scrabbling for grip). How many people can actually get there celica to hit 60 in under 8secs?

On the downside if you think your n/a as poor fuel economy how does 20mpg sound?

20mpg isn't far off what I get now as the SS2 likes to be driven hard and with the superstrut, close ratio gearbox and LSD it can shift if driven correctly!! There are various stats floating around for the Gen 5 GT4 - 7.7 for the facelift model. I've seen stats for Gen 6 SS2 at 7.1, really of course it's down to the driver when there isn't alot of difference. :thumbsup: