Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thoughts Need On A Car

sotal

I recently moved house, and I now have a 4 mile journey to work (not over far) but I have to go over 22 speed bumps on my way. So I go over 44 speed bumps every day and some days I go back for my lunch so it ends up at 88 speed bumps per day. Some of the bumps aren't too bad but a lot of them are :(

So anyway I think I'm going to sell the Celica - but what do I go for? I've got around 4 grand to spend after selling the Celica, really I want to go a bit newer - so 97+, I want something that will hardly notice the bumps, and will be taller so I sit more comfortably.

My Initial thoughts were:

Landrover Discovery - Bad Side - Expensive to keep going - bodys rot etc etc

Toyota Rav 4 - Bad Side - For My budget I can only get the older model which only came as a 2litre petrol

Any other suggestions? I would prefer something reliable like the Celica. Not sure if I should go for diesel or petrol based on a 4 mile journey?? With the disco if I go petrol it will be the 4.0l V8 - will that be a lot more thirsty on a 4 mile journey or not???

Any comments welcomed ;)

I recently moved house, and I now have a 4 mile journey to work (not over far) but I have to go over 22 speed bumps on my way.

Any comments welcomed ;)

Keep the car.

Go to work on the bus or get a bike (push bike or moped)

:thumbsup:

push bike is out of the question. the journey to work is steep downhill which would be ok. journey home would kill me. never even seen anyone attempt the hill on a push bike.

already got a motorbike and decided to sell it due to the amount of idiots on the road. that will hopefully make it up to 4 grand for the new vehicle.

bus doesn't go in the right direction. I could catch 3 buses but it would take over an hour instead of 8 mins and would cost a lot more. !Removed! public transport

jcb to dig up the bumps?

jcb to dig up the bumps?

And I can follow in my Border fronted MR2 to see if it works!

jcb to dig up the bumps?

And I can follow in my Border fronted MR2 to see if it works!

I bet you love speed bumps ;)

I go with the scooter idea, cheap on fuel/tax/insurance. Failing that a hot air balloon!!!!

No chance on the scooter - for the same reason as I'm getting rid of the motorbike - otherwise I'd just use the bike!

I've got to say I'm edging towards the disco unless - but I just feel like I'm settling for it cause I can't find anything else!

Has anyone had any experience with the V8 Discos? compared to say a 300TDI?

Have you tried going a different way to work? I can't get over the feeling that buying a 4x4 because you have to drive over speed bumps is a little extreme.

4x4s are great for countryside/green laning. But I too think it's a bit extreme for doing 8 (maybe 16) miles a day and they are fuel guzzlers for short journeys. Do you need to tow something?

I know what you mean about public transprt too. They push for people to use the buses and trains, but they never run at the times you need them, and trains run every 3 hours here!

Find a different route mate and keep the celica so what if it takes a bit longer!

It means you can still have the celica!!

If not id go for a Mr2 haha

I've got three ways to work.

The way I usually go which has all the speed bumps and I forgot to mention it also goes over a disused railway track and a hump back bridge over a canal.

The second way starts off by going in the wrong direction for approx 1 mile, then comes down some country lanes and comes out at the bottom just leaving 6 bumps, the railway track and the hump back bridge. But it takes a lot longer to go that way and going back that way takes ages due to one set of lights.

The third way sticks to the main roads and has the same ending as the country roads, but goes through a major set of traffic lights at which I have to turn right across the oncoming three lanes of traffic - usually 2 cars get through on each green light so that way can take ages - it's also about a mile out of the way.

So there doesn't seem to be any better way - I keep trying but always end up back with the much quicker direct route.

I would have a bit of other use for the 4x4, I have two dogs which it would obviously be good for and I have an old series 2a landrover which I use for greenlaning/off roading so it's always useful to have something to tow it back should we get stuck or broken! and before anyone asks I can't use the series landrover to go to work because that's even worse on the speed bumps - you feel every little bump with leaf suspension and it's narrower than the car so even the spaced out bumps are bad.

keep driving over them, then wehn your suspension gives out, phone up the road people and say driving over you poorly sufaced roads has damaged my car, i pay my road tax so this doesnt happen

FIX IT YOU B******S (my car and the road)

it works with potholes anyway

:thumbsup:

The second way starts off by going in the wrong direction for approx 1 mile, then comes down some country lanes and comes out at the bottom just leaving 6 bumps, the railway track and the hump back bridge. But it takes a lot longer to go that way and going back that way takes ages due to one set of lights.

go straight over the lights, turn round and then go left at the lights? makes sense to me. Like when theres a que to turn left at roundabout, i just go all the way round the roadabout and gain about 10 spaces :lol:

queing isfor silly people

the problem at that set of lights is the two mile queue to get to the lights - it's only a single lane so once you get there it's as easy to turn right.

The way I am going is really good - it gets me to work really quickly and avoids all traffic but it just has all these bumps - which is killing my back - and apparently the celica isn't big enough for me anyway - if I sit properly in the seat I have my head against the roof

Do not buy a disco as there the worst car in every sense. The new ones are the dogs tho!!

The rav4 is OK but like you said , its petrol only.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links