Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Drive Shaft Problems

trax

I own a Toyota Yaris Year of manufacture 2002, mileage is 7487.

During these last years I noticed some noises when I turn the steering wheel at a complete turn to the left or to the right while I am parking my car. At first I did not take any notice of these crackling noises because I thought it might be the power steering compressor making noises at full turn.

I took my car to the local Toyota representative here in Malta. They checked my Yaris and decided that these strange noises are coming from the drive shafts. They ended up by changing both shafts left and right.

I contacted the Toyota customer representatives in the UK and after some time they concluded by saying that they are going to deduct £100 pounds sterling from a total amount of £580 since the car has run out of warranty.

I bought a Toyota car in the first place based on their reputation of reliability, unfortunately with my car this has not been the case.

I have never ever heared of a car with such a low mileage that needs to change the drive shafts. Is it possible that this is a fault from the manufacturer? Has anyone here ever met with a bad case like mine?

dsc01571if1.jpg

dsc01570kn5.jpg

Andrew Grima.

It's the first I've heard of a Yaris driveshaft needing replacement. Sometimes the seals perish and crack, which causes the driveshaft grease to leak out. If there was no grease then this would lead to premature wear of the driveshaft. Another question is are you the only owner of the car? Because you never know how well/badly the previous owner treated the car.

Are the roads still as bad in Malta as they were when I was last there?

I think the surface of the moon was smoother :D

Roads getting better, but still you need an Off roader for the majority of the roads! :)

When I got my yaris from Japan it didnt had a crackling sound....now after 3yrs dashboard and doors need to be tightened!!

wish we had th UK roads! I will be flying not driving! :)

Roads getting better, but still you need an Off roader for the majority of the roads! :)

When I got my yaris from Japan it didnt had a crackling sound....now after 3yrs dashboard and doors need to be tightened!!

I own a Toyota Yaris Year of manufacture 2002, mileage is 7487.

I have never ever heared of a car with such a low mileage that needs to change the drive shafts. Is it possible that this is a fault from the manufacturer? Has anyone here ever met with a bad case like mine?

There’s your answer.

There are high mileage Yaris owners in the UK with no drive shaft problems (to my knowledge) maybe due to the better roads.

I know we moan about the roads in the UK but compared to the roads in Malta, ours are as smooth as silk.

I’m sure it would take its toll on your car.

Read his signature, maybe this has something to do with the drive shaft problem? :P

VitZ 1.0lt....Always driving on d edge :D

Eirik

Read his signature, maybe this has something to do with the drive shaft problem? :P

Eirik

The post was from trax not navygm :thumbsup:

Eirik

The post was from trax not navygm :thumbsup:

Bad me reading English tired when I am. :yahoo:

Or just too tired to differ from one Malta guy to another. Is this the end of the world? Will I be banned now? :unsure:

Eirik

yeah looks like the drive shafts are on the way out on my car 74021 on the clock .

wont know till i get her up on the ramp later on in the week

Hi Trax and Johnny,

Last month I posted the same problem, but no one had heard of the issue.

I have a Yaris Verso and unfortunately I began to notice the clicking just out of Warranty. Now it has done 62000 and got worse so I had them replaced this week. Cost for reconditioning £500.

I was told that it would be £800 through Toyota.

I am a disability driving instructor, so often there is dry steering and many manoeuvres, but I have not had the same problem on my other cars which often get worse "abuse"

Very interested in your post as I expected to have to resurrect my earlier one from the archives. It is obviously a problem.

John

JohnP from 2pass! :thumbsup:

My Tsport is currently with a garage for CV joint/driveshaft issues. Have had the typical CV joint clicking for a while now, but the garage I use have only just managed to fit me in. My car is a 2001 one, and has 45k on the clock. Will let you all know what the diagnosis is when I hear from the garage, hopefully soon so I can give back the Skoda courtesy car!!!!

Hi rallybunny.

Good to meet you from another part of my life.

You recommended I came on here some time ago.

It does seem as if we are finding a problem which should be recognised- but I doubt many of us would change for another car.

I will have to keep an ear on my standard Yaris as that has done nearly 50,000 now.

I had similar problems on my Tercel, but that was over 100,000. Changed those myself.

Let's keep this issue going and see how many others are affected.

I presumed it was because of the way mine was driven.

It's the first I've heard of a Yaris driveshaft needing replacement. Sometimes the seals perish and crack, which causes the driveshaft grease to leak out. If there was no grease then this would lead to premature wear of the driveshaft. Another question is are you the only owner of the car? Because you never know how well/badly the previous owner treated the car.

Hi Chris81,

I bought my Toyota yaris from the local representative here in Malta brand new and I am the only driver. I took pictures of the old drive shafts they have no cracks in the rubber boots they look like new.

I only use my car during the weekends I take great care of it and also I choose the roads from where to pass.

Hi,

I do not think my problem is the cause off bad roads here in Malta. My Yaris has 7487 km mileage and I use my car during the weekends only because during the week I travel by Bus to work. I think my Yaris had a hidden defect from the manufacturer with both drive shafts. One does not accept to have problems with drive shafts after 7000 km maybe after 70,000 km one needs to change them.

:( I've just had the same thing happen and my car has only done 18000 with 2 very careful lady drivers!! It's 2002 Yaris. The Toyota garage have quoted today over £1200 to replace the front drive shafts.

Can I get any help back from Toyota?

Is this a regular fault?

I too thought Toyota was reliable!!

Sussex

Cracking cv joints on the Yaris is very common!

They usually go before the warranty period runs out as though, we have changed plenty of shafts/joints under warranty.

The joints come with shafts fitted, this is probably why they cost so much!!

If you can put up with the noise and it isnt too bad/loud i would put up with it or try and source non gen parts.

You could remove the cv boots, clean away the old grease and regrease using cv grease to see if it helps any...this would be ALOT cheaper too.

Thanks

Martin

:( I've just had the same thing happen and my car has only done 18000 with 2 very careful lady drivers!! It's 2002 Yaris. The Toyota garage have quoted today over £1200 to replace the front drive shafts.

Sussex

You should find used drive shafts and have them mounted in a decent garage not in Mr. T garage.

When I was buying a new water pump Toyota quoted £100. I bought a new one form a car parts dealer whom I payed £40.

I was given the option. Did I want to get Toyota parts for twice the price or have the original reconditioned.

Guess what I chose.

Does anyone have an online / mail order source for non Toyota or recon parts? As others have said, the driveshaft assemblies are very expensive on their own, Mr T have quoted my garage £300+ a side. :eek: I have found outer CV joints on their own, but not 100% sure they'll fit due to the fact that they only seem to be available as a whole unit from Toyota. :unsure: Will these fit? They are listed as 1999+, even though the Tsport wasn't released until 2001. :help: And they'd be no good if it's the inner CV that's gone. Breaking Tsports seem to be rare as hen's teeth too, so I'm really struggling to find 2nd hand bits, as they're a different size to the other models. Are the diesels or the 1.5 Yaris Versos the same?

I've had my car back from the garage..... CV boots were fine, the joints looked fine, but the CV grease was like water. :wacko: So they have been regreased, but it's made no difference. My mechanic said I'll have to drive it until something physically breaks before the warranty company will even look at it, so that's why I'm trying to getter cheaper / 2nd hand parts now myself. I don't like it when my car is broken. :(

Hi rallybunny,

I got my own reconditioned so I knew they were right.

Sent away and returned within a couple of days.

I could ask him where he sent them . Not sure if it was someone local.

The prices seem to vary a lot. I just had to get it back on the road as soon as poss. Maybe I could have got a better deal given time but they were quite bad when turning under drive up hill.

Full job under £500. Parts around £350

In poland where I live I can buy used complete drive shafts for less than £40.

New one in online shop may cost under £60.

I could ask him where he sent them . Not sure if it was someone local.

Don't go out of your way to find out, but would be good to know, so if you could ask next time you're on the phone to them or whatever, that would be great.

Might ask the garage I use if they know of anywhere.

• 3 years later...

Cracking cv joints on the Yaris is very common!

They usually go before the warranty period runs out as though, we have changed plenty of shafts/joints under warranty.

The joints come with shafts fitted, this is probably why they cost so much!!

If you can put up with the noise and it isnt too bad/loud i would put up with it or try and source non gen parts.

You could remove the cv boots, clean away the old grease and regrease using cv grease to see if it helps any...this would be ALOT cheaper too.

Thanks

Martin

If it is just the outer CV joints, why not fit new aftermarket outer CV joints, rather than the complete driveshafts - it will only be a fraction of the price. I have never heard of CV joints wearing out after so few miles.. they must have been defective.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links