Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whats The Quickest (standard) Corolla?

The Tvis Kid

I was just shocked at how much my Levin over reads at relitively slow speeds.

You also have after market alloy's which I assume are larger than standard. How accurate is the rolling radius to stock values? This can make a fair bit of difference too.

Each to their own, But I wouldn't trust my GPS for accurate speed reading :thumbsup:

I have larger wheels on my gen 5 celica (they are of a gen 7 and are 16"). They make the speedo a lot more accurate (to the GPS) within one ot two MPH.

The GPS is not very accurate when accelerating due to the delay in picking up signals but at a constant speed (say on a motorway) they become extremly accurtae. As for proving it in court? well i don't generally drive fast enough to be there but surely the same technology that they use to control the armed forces, fly planes etc must have some weight to it.

140 is achievable (debateable) on a stock small port Gti, i've been there but only once and my 'speed' was confirmed by the lotus elise that couldnt over take on the m6 but i was completely maxed out too.

My car is pretty much not stock anymore though and my exhaust makes all the difference in the world its an absolute masterpeice ! i spent ages finding 48mm ID tube with a guage of 1mm (the optimum size for a late spec 4age) and spent ages with different boxes to get the required amounts of flow/restriction and sound deadening - without compromise :)

shame its still sat on the driveway, but on the plus side i do have a rear screen for it now, just got to remove it from the crappy gate its in at present.

Official specs for a Blue-Top TVIS 4A-GE transversely mounted driving the rear wheels (AW11)

Max Speed

1st - 36mph @ 7600rpm

2nd - 61mph @ 7600rpm

3rd - 88mph @ 7600rpm

4th - 119mph @7600rpm

5th - 121mph @ 6500rpm (best 124mph @ 6650rpm)

Accelleration:

True MPH / Time secs / Indicated MPH

30 / 2.5 / 32

40 / 4.0 / 43

50 / 5.7 / 54

60 / 7.7 / 65

70 / 10.8 / 75

80 / 13.8 / 87

90 / 18.5 / 99

100 / 24.5 / 110

110 / 34.8 / 121

120 / ----- / 132

I have seen my track car at 135mph (indicated) on the 2 mile back straight at Bruntingthorpe before I bottled it and lifted off. There felt room for more as the car was still pulling.

For me personally though it not about how fast I can go in a straight line or how quick I can get there. It's all about entry speed, holding speed and exit speed when cornering. You'd be suprised how this car hold up on track against other far more powerfull cars. Was the same with my AE92 - I made sure it could handle extremely well without stupid/extreme modification :thumbsup:

I was just shocked at how much my Levin over reads at relitively slow speeds.

You also have after market alloy's which I assume are larger than standard. How accurate is the rolling radius to stock values? This can make a fair bit of difference too.

Each to their own, But I wouldn't trust my GPS for accurate speed reading :thumbsup:

I have larger wheels on my gen 5 celica (they are of a gen 7 and are 16"). They make the speedo a lot more accurate (to the GPS) within one ot two MPH.

The GPS is not very accurate when accelerating due to the delay in picking up signals but at a constant speed (say on a motorway) they become extremly accurtae. As for proving it in court? well i don't generally drive fast enough to be there but surely the same technology that they use to control the armed forces, fly planes etc must have some weight to it.

I have noticed that the larger the rims the more 'accurate' it gets between sat nav and the speedo. i got 17" and when using the sat nav there is only a 3mph difference, the speedo is reading faster off course! and recently i've been driving a few rentals and i have noticed that there are as much as 10mph difference between the sat nav and the speedo! i can only put it down to the size of the rims, which is quite feasable me thinks!

unity_jon, wat kind of exhaust do u have as i am trying to find the best performance but not with a "wasp in a can" sound, are u willing to share the make and specs of ur exhaust, or maybe even sell it ?

4afe 137mph limiter 5th gear corolla si !! nice roads down my end he he corolla gxi havent even tried but i guess a little more! it was a n reg standard air box drilles and the car was decatted and running on optimax abd fuel booster that ws a great car!!

ALL speedos are out by aprox 10%, they are like this so, as has already been mentioned, you dont unknowingly exeed the speed limit.

tested the road angel in the rolla and that rported a 10% error so at 30mph indicated was 27MPH gps speed not bad but by the time you get to triple figures your 10mph out.

oh and for informations sake, on the old gearbox ratios i hit the rev limiter at a GPS indicated 152mph which if the speedo went round far enough would be 167mph. new ratios should see over 180mph GPS.

fastest i had out of it with mongoose and panel filter on the 4A was 140 (126GPS)

unity_jon, wat kind of exhaust do u have as i am trying to find the best performance but not with a "wasp in a can" sound, are u willing to share the make and specs of ur exhaust, or maybe even sell it ?

I've had a few 'performance' exhausts on my rolla since i got it, the last being a mongoose system that sounded quite nice although a little noisy and i found i was loosing a few bhp, I spoke at length to my father-in-law who once worked for TRD and i found out why, most aftermarket exhausts are 2" ID which common and easy to get but is too large for the 4age given the heat they produce and the length of the pipe, what you really need is 48mm ID (1.8") which is very very hard to find, i sourced the stainless pipe through a friend that works at a metal stockists and had the pipe bent up by a powerflow fitter to run the whole length of the car without boxes as the next part would take time and some hefty calculations i then asked around to see what type of boxes people were available, when i worked out what i needed i could work out the lengths of the pipe between each box, i opted for a collector style box upfront for compression a free flow box behind it to act as a scavenger for redundant gass build up and finally a refraction style box out the rear to deaden the sound.

the reason i had the pipe bent up without the boxes was so i could engineer the length of the pipe from the header to the first box and then space the other boxes accordingly to get the best heat transfer, flow and compression using flow meters and compression testing

its a minor work of art and increased my bhp on the rolling road by 17.5bhp over the old mongoose system plus it sounds meaning full without being deafening and stupid.

i couldnt have done it without input from people that know and understand the 4age and i didnt compromise any part apart from having to have mandrel bends in the pipe.

no its not for sale as i cannot get 48mm id pipe anymore, although the car is just sat on my drive waiting for me to do something with it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links