Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is My Yaris Dying

homershairdo

Hi all, long time reader, not posted for a while!

I have an X Reg Yari 1.0 VVTi with 95k on the clock (a lot of motorway miles!), however, some things (as I would expect!) are starting to go a little awray!

1. My ECU keeps coming on - I took it to the local garage, who connected it up to the diagonsic, and found that it was burning lean (the fella said it was a common problem with the Yaris). He cleaned out the pipes with cleaner fuild and all was well for a few months - but now the light is back (I disconnect the Battery every month or so and it clears it for a while, then it comes back!). How do I clean the pipes? Do I need to have an empty tank of petrol to do this?

2. Braking is a strange experience - when applying brakes at over 40 mph, I get steering wheel judder - was does this mean??

3. When idle, the engine makes a intermittant "Squeaking / sucking" noise. Has anyone had this before?

4. In the morning, or sometimes the evening, when the car has been left a while, when I pull away, up to third gear, the car judders and sputters, then is fine for the rest of the time.

Sorry for the essay! Thanks in advance for the help!!

Ian

1. Not sure, but I've not heard of a common fault with a Yaris running lean!

2. Sounds like warped brake discs, or could be as simple as a wheel inbalance (but then you'd experience the same wobble at speed).

3 & 4. Unsure I'm afraid.

i get number 3 very very occasionally, after late nite driving at a constand 50-70 mph. Im not usre what it its, its like it struggling to find the iddling point, the revs go up, it sucks and hisses, the revs drop, she burbles and splutters, then it revs up again, and repeats this over and over till u turn the engine off. Im not really sure what it is, im not too bothered cus its only very occasionally that it happens to me

number 3 is warped brake discs, we had this on our works van, after having them changed it's gone away.

number 3 is warped brake discs, we had this on our works van, after having them changed it's gone away.

You mean number 2?

You mean number 2?

sorry number 2

Thanks for the help all! Braking is now sorted with new brake kit, the sucking was, under further invesigation, a squeak and has now been sorted. However, The ECU keeps coming on, and I reckon it is a gunky air filter.

I've seen the guides on how to clean it, I have a canister of air ready - but I can't find it(the MAF that is!!) Does anyone have a picture of where it is on a Yaris engine. If it is where I think it is, it looks impossible to undo all the screws!

Thanks again!!

Ian

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links