Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will It Blow Again?

Oli

The post desc should say my sub blew..sorry  <_<

I bought a new sub amp on Sat (Rockford Fosgate BD500) and used it on my old sub (150W RMS with a 300W RMS amp running @ 4 Ohms) Ok i know the power rating are wrong but i couldn't afford a sub as well. Within 24hrs of light use it blew the voice coil, well fried it to the magnet.. :(

So i used a mates sub to check the amp and everything seamed fine.. 5 hrs later i get a phone call "My sub has just blown!" :ffs:

I didn't think to much of it becuase of the power rating difference and got myself a kicker 12" square sub today.. So my amp @ 2 ohms / 14.2V will do 741W RMS so a 750W sub seamed fine.. But i keep smelling burnt voice coil when i turn it up?

I've used the same box so it should smell a bit but allday? And also such the back of the sub gets warmish.. not hot just luke warm?

Sorry for the long sorry but i can't afford another sub :censor: Could the amp be faulty? It's sounds sweet but i'm paranoid!

Any advice is very welcome..Oli

Sounds weird, I'm not very good with audio. I need to get a new sub tomorrow but I'm not sure what wattage I need, the sub is 300W.... <_<

do you mean the amp is 300W? Is that RMS? and also at 2 or 4 Ohms.. You need to know these things 1st..

Now it really depends on how much you want to spend? Size wise a 12" seams the best all round..

oli

with a sub rated at a very similar power to the amp then its natural for the magnets to become warm. so thats ok.

one question have ya felt the heatsinks on the amp to see if they are getting too warm or am i right in thinkin thats all ok?

its possible the amp may be shorting somewhere, maybe within it own circuits and causing excessive current to be pushed through the coils. therefore killing them!

to be all fair its probably best to take a trip to ya local ICE dealer and be certain before ya end up spendin a wedge on blown gear.

paseo - another thing ya gotta determine is what diameter sub ya want, i notice on ya spec that you origianlly have an 8inch sub, what were you after in particular

I bought the sub from a friend but it blew so I'm after a 8" replacement as cheap as I can get it, then I can fit it into my existing tube.

I'm not sure what sort of watage it needs to be, the amp is 300W 2OHM so what does the sub need to be? :help::rolleyes:

oli

with a sub rated at a very similar power to the amp then its natural for the magnets to become warm. so thats ok.

one question have ya felt the heatsinks on the amp to see if they are getting too warm or am i right in thinkin thats all ok?

its possible the amp may be shorting somewhere, maybe within it own circuits and causing excessive current to be pushed through the coils. therefore killing them!

to be all fair its probably best to take a trip to ya local ICE dealer and be certain before ya end up spendin a wedge on blown gear.

paseo - another thing ya gotta determine is what diameter sub ya want, i notice on ya spec that you origianlly have an 8inch sub, what were you after in particular

cheers for the reply. I think i'm para but i can't afford another kicker sub...

97paseo - i'd get a 200W 2 Ohm sub...

plenty of decent pioneer or kenwood gear on the market thats what ya want to be aiming for at least itll have a decent amount of sound quality too.

an 8 incher should cost ya no more than 40-45 quid tops i would have thought.

maybe less!

:thumbsup:

I've phoned the place i had it from and they say everything is fine?

I bet they don't say that when it blows!

what wiring do you have in the sub box?

if you have big rms running through crap wire it sends more voltage....

loads of people use this method to cheat and get louder stereos.

get yourself some 8 gauge speaker wire. if you havnt already, that is.

but potentially wants to melt everything and sounds crap

:cacker:

Went to have a look for an 8"er & found a Kenwood one for £50 & a Fusion for £60, which is a bit more than I want to spend, but they also had a 12" or it might have been a 10" all sorted in a really cool box with perspex front, that was £75 all in...now I want that...doh!

This was supposed to be a cheap set-up :rolleyes: Might keep looking for an 8! :D

I'm using double 10 gauge wire so that should do..

yeah thats good as long as ya not using crappy bell wire from B&Q!

trust me ive seen it done!

looks cool

itll do the job

if its in ya budget then go for it

what type of music do you listen too?

deep bass lines or punchy bass?

The Rockford bd500 is renowned for shorting against it's own heatsink! Listen to the amp it's self, is it making a high pitched whistling sound whenever powered up?

Check your solder joints also - if you've got dry connections the resistance will be massive and could cause problems.

Cheers,

Steve.

it's blown!!!

Back to the shop by the looks of it.. I just hope i don't get any probs changing it.

i know.. i hope they change the amp and sub..

The only prob is that it was the last BD500 so i might have to pay the extra for the 501 (2003 Model)

That's £50+ which i haven't got and i want a similar spec amp