Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Unit With Breakout Box....

SLDeviant

I've my shiny new strata for a couple of weeks now, I'm getting the additional 4 Speakers installed free of charge by the dealer but I still want to replace the head unit. The one I've settled on is the Navman iDN 3000 which has a breakout box. In a car as small as the Aygo where can I expect that to end up. I'll try and get the dealer I bought it from to install the system but can something like that be stuck somewhere discreetly or I'll i have an ugly black box bolted on somewhere.

The only specs I can find on the unit are from the eBay dealer I plan on getting it from. I'd appreciate any light anyone could shed on this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Navman-iDN-3000-GPS-...dZViewItem#nogo

Theres some better images and a schematic that gives some idea of size, cabling etc. here:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Navman-IDN-3000-All-in-...1QQcmdZViewItem

If you don't need to access the box that often you may be able to fit in under the replacement stereo behind the fascia.

Looking at the pics and PDF it looks like you only need access to the nav-box (it's actually NOT a

breakout as the main connections are on the head unit) to swap SD-cards that hold the maps.

Since updating the maps is something most people NEVER do I'd agree with bradburyss that

installing it under or behind the head unit in the center console could be a feasible solution...

You could opt for installing the nav under one of the seats, but then you'd have to run extra wiring

for power to it and that's provided the interconnect is long enough to actually reach the seat.

And then you'd need to find a place for the GPS-antenna, as that connects to the nav-box.

If you install everything in the center console you can even install the antenna undernneath the dash as that's all plastic...

I was just wondering, do you think it would be workable to put it in the little recess to the right of the steering wheel beneath the switch for the fog lamps?

Also, another silly question founded in my ignorance, but will I need an additional amp for my subwoofer. Its the underseat i-sotec one 100watt so not very powerful.

For anyone thats looking for a similar system, I bought that Navman off the german link, saved me about €500 on the UK equivalent which is a nice chunk of change.

If you put it there you'll loose space and you'll have an ugly box in plain sight.

I'm pretty sure the box can be fitted beneath the Head Unit in the center console.

Another quick question. The head unit has 4x45watt out, as well as a pre-out for the sub. I was wondering what wattage are the stock Speakers, If I was the split the front connections for the 4 Speakers and combine the rear two for the sub would that work? Alternatively anyone know where I can get an inexpensive single channel amp for a 120watt sub?

I wouldn't split the front channels, as you run the risk of overloading your internal amplifier.

The standard Speakers are rated at 13W I believe. The 45W your radio boasts is probably PMPO,

resulting in roughly 15W RMS. My Kenwood HU also does 45W PMPO and I've not blown any

of the original Speakers yet, even though I regularly run my stereo at maximum volume...

If you haven't purchased the I-sotec enclosure yet I'd go for an

active sub like Pioneers TS-WX22A or the newer TS-WX11A.

I have the latter in my Aygo under the passenger seat and the sound is superb.

It's running of off the Sub-out on my head unit and I've got it tuned pretty well now.

Here's what it looks like:

substoel.jpg

(since I've done all tuning on the HU itself I've velcroed the remote next to the sub)

I've already bought the i-sotec one, so I think I'll need to pick up a 120watt single channel amp, can't seem to find any amps below a bajillion watts (slight exaggeration). Anyone have any ideas where I can find an inexpensive amp?

Don't I-sotec sell one?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links