Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intercooling My Compressor

carltsport52

hello to all of you out there!

i dont come on the site very often but when i do i will quite happily resd through most of the posts on the forum,its quite interesting to see what people have to say about one of the best cars ever made :thumbsup:

now just wondering if anyone can help me,now i dont know much about the supercharger on the corolla but i know it relies on cold air,now on a hot day like it has bin just recently the car just doesnt want to pick up at all,i have fitted a blits sonic air filter and it has made the charger whistle like hell sounds brilliant.i just wondered wether fitting an intercooler would help and if so how do i go about it.

if any body has any contacts or info could you let me know i.e if its possible and how much

would be great to hear back from you

thanks

carl

I've looked int it myself, its finding a small enough unit to fit in quite confined space behind the bumper and someone to do the pipework

I would have thought that any gains will be minimal as the the boost from the supercharger is fairly low so the air is'nt heating up too much anyway, plus more pipework would create lag. Your blitz filter probably is'nt helping matters either unless it has a cold air feed as its sucking in all the warm air from inside the engine bay.

I would have thought that any gains will be minimal as the the boost from the supercharger is fairly low so the air is'nt heating up too much anyway, plus more pipework would create lag. Your blitz filter probably is'nt helping matters either unless it has a cold air feed as its sucking in all the warm air from inside the engine bay.

+1

biggest mistake people make is slap on an induction kit without thinking about its position. you will get bigger power gains with a performance panel filter an the stock air box. if you want to keep the blitz then relocate it to shield it from the engine bay heat and be sure to give it a cold air feed.

not sure if the CTS can have a FMIC because the charger bolts direct to the inlet dosnt it??

ive just had the front bumper of my compressor and there is quite a bit of room behind there i think its a bit deceiving looking at when the bumper is on .also you can increase the boost on the supercharger just by changing the pulley .i think it would benifit the compressor with an intercooler as feel how hot the intake pipes are ,some cooling of the air has got to be benificial all depends on at what cost?

The problem with increasing the boost to any significant amount is the pressure is too high when it enters the engine causing it to knock (explode before the spark plug ignites the mixture) and as the compressor already has a high compression ratio 11.5:1 most petrol cars are around 10.5:1 and turbo'd engines 9.5:1, any more boost maybe too much, so would have to go down the route of low comp pistions etc. This is the reason 98 ron fuel is needed as a lower octane fuel would cause the engine to knock.

Try here MWR!

They are into turbos not compressors but they do a lot with the 2zz engine! Maybe some stuff of use to you in here! There is a website for celica owners which MWR have been posting a thread about the psi you can use on the 2zz engine! I'll try and find it!

I looked into this last year and the biggest problem is not the cooler itself but the pipework.

If you look there is very little room around the outlet of the blower as the intake pipe passes across the front of it.

The pipes would have to be a small diameter which would then defeat the object.

If anybody can sort that bit out then I would be very interested :thumbsup:

[hi chris

sorry mate havent got much access to a pc at the moment thats why its took me ages to reply,by any chance you dont happen to know anythig about changing the pully on the charger ,word has it it gives a few more bhp,i have given up on the idea of intercooling for the time being.

oh yeh another thing your not from derbyshire by any chance are you,spotted a silve comp the other day

The blower on my VR6 only gives 9psi of boost, too little really to be worth having an inercooler. I use water injection instead, just thought i'd throw that in there!

The main problem with changing the pulleys on the Compressor is the electo-magnetic clutch assembly.

A normal pulley is easy to change but not sure if anything is available to suit us :unsure:

I did wonder what would happen if the clutch was wired to be engaged all the time but didn't get round to trying!

Apparently the clutch disengages when the lift comes in which seems a bit backward to me :blink:

If anybody knows different, speak up :rolleyes:

I very much doubt that the supercharger disengages when the lift kicks as you say sounds a bit backwards. Also did'nt I read a post from you on toyotaownersclub.com or somewhere with the note TTE saying that the boost starts at 0.3 bar, peaks at 0.6 bar then drops off to around 0.4 bar or at least somewhere around these figures. Also the mechanics of engaging and disengaging at high rpm is just asking for trouble and is'nt the whole point of a blower to boost power accross the whole rev range?

The blower on my VR6 only gives 9psi of boost, too little really to be worth having an inercooler. I use water injection instead, just thought i'd throw that in there!

What is involved in water injection? what sort of power gains can you expect?

I very much doubt that the supercharger disengages when the lift kicks as you say sounds a bit backwards. Also did'nt I read a post from you on toyotaownersclub.com or somewhere with the note TTE saying that the boost starts at 0.3 bar, peaks at 0.6 bar then drops off to around 0.4 bar or at least somewhere around these figures. Also the mechanics of engaging and disengaging at high rpm is just asking for trouble and is'nt the whole point of a blower to boost power accross the whole rev range?

Anyone looked at top mounting an intercooler, as with the 4agze, pipework may be easier, with custom carbon bonnet

to get air flow?

Yes it was me who posted then.

As I was one of the earlier owners I contacted TTE directly as the dealers didn't have a clue.

I have a dyno sheet for my car showing the boost tail off and as I said before, it does seem backwards :blink:

I told them my supercharged Mustang boosted all the way up the rev range and that's what they told me.

I'll try to find a copy of my e-mails with TTE and post them up.

Oh, the car went in for the latest map and did seem better but now I have done some miles since I have decided it is still not right.

I'm going to mail TTE again and this time be a nuisance :rolleyes:

What remaps have you had ?

Ive noticed on full throttle that i get a power cut as i get to 5000rpm

They just said a remap had been released a few weeks ago which made the car smoother but my own problems are still there :angry:

I just found my mail from TTE and upon re-reading it I remember that they explained that the supercharger does in fact stay in circuit, so sorry for the misunderstanding there ;)

The boost does however tail off for whatever reason.

Here is one of the mails from TTE:

Dear Mr ******

Thank you very much for your Mail which we would like to answer as follows.

With regard to the Corolla Compressor, TOYOTA Motorsport provided development and engineering support to TOYOTA Motor Corporation to design the aforementioned Corolla model .

All customer service activities are coordinated via TOYOTA Motor Europe, their individual national importers and the according dealer network .

As it is quite difficult to judge about your findings without having the chance to do certain investigations on your vehicle we would like to propose

that all necessary checks should be done at your local TOYOTA dealer.

We therefore have transfered your request to Toyota Motor Europe who already contacted TOYOTA GB´s Product Technical Support Dptm., where all relevant technical information are available.

We are very much confident that your dealer will get the necessary technical explanation and support from there.

Additionally I would like to take the opportunity to answer your techncal question as well.

The supercharger clutch engages related to some parameters ( see below ) and stays engaged within the whole rev. range.

1. Coolant temperature > 28°C

2. Vehicle speed > 6 Km/H

3. Throttle blade angle > 10° .......

The boost pressure starts from slightly below 0,3 bar, gets it´s peak of appr. 0,56 bar at around 5500 revs and decreases down to appr. 0,38 bar .

We hope that our information is of assistance for you and hope that a satisfactory solution will be found quickly.

If you have any further question, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Norbert Schäfer

Manager

Product Development & After Sales Service

Sales & Sports Conversion

TOYOTA Motorsport GmbH

So there you have it :rolleyes:

Ive looked through the technical bulletins but cant find no remap info

i dont know if you guys have seen this but on the blitz website they do a compressor kit for the celica t-sport with a built in intercooler and piping i think the piping would need 2 be modifyed to fix the angle of the intercooling unit itself but its the same engine really

do you think it could work lads?

Ive looked through the technical bulletins but cant find no remap info

Hmm, maybe they have been BS-ing me ;)

I'll mail Norbert at TTE and ask the question.

a dunno how to put pics on m8 but if you go 2 www.blitz-uk.co.uk you will find it in the celica section it looks the dogs im well interested in purchase

What is involved in water injection? what sort of power gains can you expect?

You can get a water injection kit for about £130. If used with a map can give you maybe 10-15hp power gain and let you advance timing a little bit.

If used without a re-map it will lower intake temps, making the charger more efficient and give you maybe 5hp. Good thing is you can hammer it more with less chance of detonation ;)

The set up i have is connected to the throttle and only comes on when under full load. It is hooked up to a seperate tank with a 75/25% mix of water and acetone. Acetone is very cheap too! :)

Regards,

Joe

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links