Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Swaps

QSA

i'm new to MR2's, and i really never wanted one. My firnedjsut bout a 91 NA and left me drive it and i thought it was a blast. but i would want a little more power and no turbo or any thing like that(to much for my bank).

i know all about the 3sgte swap, but i also know that a common swap for the newer MR-s is a 2zz(witch correct me if im wrong is the newer celica gt-s engine?) and i am wondering if that engine would fit into a 91 easy... almost like the 3sgte would? and do u think its worth it? jsut trying to think of some newer thigns i havnt seen so please dont flame me.

The cost would be very expensive .. and the MR2 aint the best to work on.

The new Celica engines are 140 - 190 bhp? The MR2 NA started at 156bhp and the Rev3's were 174 bhp.

What is your price range, if you have the cash get a Rev5 G-Limited, they had the Beams 200 bhp engine .. awesome bits of kit.

Otherwise I know ppl in the US are doing Camry 3.0 V6 engine swaps (then twin charging).

Have a look at the USA MR2 List for hints and tips etc.

I'd have a look at Dorset insurance and see what the price is.

As for one engine swap, you could probably pay for 5 years insurance on a turbo for the same price. Also the insurance on any engine swap would be worse than a standard turbo.

well.. i know some one who i could buy a MK2 that was NA but they took out the engine and swaped a 3stge. but they havnt been able to get it to work(they say they need a new wiring harness). hes willing to sell it for around 3k.

i havnt personaly seen the car or the swaped engine but if theyhavnt been able to get it to run then i dont want to have to take it to a dealer and have them work on it and have my bank account go dry from labor. plus none of the guys have major exp. with engines.

why dont you give me your thought on that? get it ? or run and hide from it?

erm if your looking for a Good Mk2 NA, mine is for sale, £3,500 no less...

124k (kilometres) on the clock

40k on engine (refurb engine fitted October 2002)

HKS Induction Kit (New HKS Filter Fitted 29/06/2003)

Apexi De-Cat Pipe

Mongoose Exhaust (Twin 3.5" Exits)

Uprated, lowered suspension

16" Racing Sparco Crimsonetta alloys

Rev 2 Brake Upgrade

Autopista Rear Spoiler and Skirts

Bomex Nose

Revision 6 rear light conversion with extra LED brake bulbs.

A/C, C/C, Electric wing mirrors...

Supaguarded 23rd July 2003

Cambelt & Clutch changed 12k ago

101_0149.sized.jpg

I know turbo's that are about that price (my housemate is selling his for a shade more) !!

Your mate will need a new loom and ECU for the turbo engine.

I would guess-timate about 3k for an engine swap .. so you are looking at 6k for a stock motor. It's why I don't understand why people bother .. just buy a Turbo and swap the bits over.

The only time I'd think of this is if you are going to build an Uber spec engine and then pop it in.

I'd call dorset and get a quote for an NA and a Turbo (remember to add 35 quid to join the MR2 Drivers Club), then depending on costs I'd invest in a good running MR2, don't be fussed on the year or mods (dorset are not fussed by mods to cars), just get a minter.

If you think anything is suspect, walk away .. there are plenty out there.

that last guy was talking another lang. i have no idea what he was tlaking about, care to explain? so u think i should buy his car for around 3000 us and the stuff it needs?

ahhh .. you're form the US ..

Forget all i said, you guys get dirt cheap motors and mechanical work is nothing .. as is the insurance.

buy your mates car, get a 3.0 V6 Camry engine and twin charge it. Details on USA MR2 List.

:D

erm if your looking for a Good Mk2 NA, mine is for sale, £3,500 no less...

124k (kilometres) on the clock

40k on engine (refurb engine fitted October 2002)

HKS Induction Kit (New HKS Filter Fitted 29/06/2003)

Apexi De-Cat Pipe

Mongoose Exhaust (Twin 3.5" Exits)

Uprated, lowered suspension

16" Racing Sparco Crimsonetta Alloys

Rev 2 Brake Upgrade

Autopista Rear Spoiler and Skirts

Bomex Nose

Revision 6 rear light conversion with extra LED brake bulbs.

A/C, C/C, Electric wing mirrors...

Supaguarded 23rd July 2003

Cambelt & Clutch changed 12k ago

101_0149.sized.jpg

Rhaines... a little off topic....

but what's this supguarded thingy ? And how much was it ??

please tell !.... :)

Supaguard is a silicone sealant that normally gets put on new cars for a silly amount of money :) If applied properly the paintwork should be taken back getting rid of all the dirt and corrosive materials that can be left behind and then is applied like a wax....

Once applied it repels rain and protercts against UV and means that to wash the car back to that polished waxed look all you need is some warm liquid (preferably with mild shampoo) and a chamois, thats it....

It now takes me 10 mins to clean the car and it will shine like it has just been waxed. It also protects against bird :censor: and works a treat, the car also stays cleaner longer.

It's bizzare when driving in the rain as the surface replels water at such a rate you can see it flying off the car...

Now I've had it on this car I'll get it on all cars I ever get :) Luckily I work above a garage so one of the valetuers through it in to a valet for free, think you can get a garage to do it for about £180 or buy the kits on eBay for about £80, definately worth the money...

I'm a lazy bugger and get some mobile valet company to come round and sort my motor out.. will see if they can get a hold of this stuff for me.

Also, what do you mean it protects against bird **** ?? You mean a bird plops... but just before it hits your car it "matrix stylee" flys in another direction... oooh... wanna see this ! :P

lol no but protects against the bird crap eating away the paint..... also it just slides off with water...

good example, last weekend my car was minging as no time to clean it, we had some really, really heavy rain and before I got home the rain stopped, by the time I was home the car had been blown dry and looked as if she had just been waxed :D

why would i buy my firends car and put a v6 in it.... they already droped the JDM 3sgte in it.... they cant get it running so if i do buy it i would sjut get the ecu and loom like one of you said.

but i have no idea how mucht hat will cost me

ECU's for the Turbo and the wiring loom to go with it coulds easily be got off a scrapped Jap Turbo. Keep an ear out for people breaking their cars for spares (eBay.co.uk).

It casue you said

but i would want a little more power and no turbo or any thing like that(to much for my bank).
I didn't think you wanted the turbo lump in it.

Only thing would be to get the ECU that is the same year as the engine (as injector sizes changed between Rev2 and Rev3 - as well as AFM was binned in favour of a Map sensor).

How about an aftermarket ECU - that'll allow a load better mapping and would then be upgradable and take more advantage of filters, exhausts etc.

lol no but protects against the bird crap eating away the paint..... also it just slides off with water...

good example, last weekend my car was minging as no time to clean it, we had some really, really heavy rain and before I got home the rain stopped, by the time I was home the car had been blown dry and looked as if she had just been waxed :D

Bird plop eats away paint??? OMFG !! I've had some plop plop on my boot for a few days... ARGH ! Will clean off first thing 2mrw.