Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Engine Replacement 3sge

corollafx

Hi, I have recently sent my celica in to get an engine changed (3sge) as the bearings where worn

The engine is now in etc, but the car won't start

Apparently the ECU got damaging blowing a couple of diodes inside it

I then got another ecu fitted and it didn't work so the mechanic told me that all celica ecus are different and are unique to that particular engine which, personally i find very hard to beleive

Is this the case? as a new one from toyota is £600!!!

The symptoms of the starting problem is that there is no spark, leads have been changed so has distributer etc...

I fairly sure that any engine will work with any ECU, if I remember correctly they made some changes around 94 with the wiring to the ECU. What age Celica have you got, is the engine the same age as the old one?

Agreed and also think they must be of the same transmision type and obviously from the same revision of 3sge engine.

Thanks for your replys

The engine is a 3sge out of a 91 celica and the celica i have is a 93

I am going to go to the scrapy and get a few ecus to try and see if any work

I may have just got a dodgy one

the mechanic is certain that that is what the problem is but im still not convinced

Anyone had any previous experience on this and if so what was the cure?

Thanks for your replys

The engine is a 3sge out of a 91 celica and the celica i have is a 93

Well then they could be different revision engines and therefore ecu will almost certainly not work. Could be totally different power output, best try to match them.

Revision 1 December '89 August '91

Revision 2 August '91 November '93

Revision 3 November '93 June '96

This may help if you know the dates.

the only difference i can think of with a '91 and '93 engine is the ignition system.

around late '92ish the coilpack / ignitier / dizzy cap and leads changed- you can tell because the later engine uses 4mm HT leads and they clip into the dizzy cap, the earlier ones were about 8mm and just pushed into the dizzy cap.

But as to why the earlier system does not work with the newer bare engine i've no idea :(

I'd definitely try a few ECU's, and go from there. The auto / manual box makes a difference too- M/T or A/T should be printed onto the ECU case.

As for revisions that looks like MR2 talk to me. When I think of 3S-GE, rev1 is the TVIS controlled 147BHP unit from the gen 4 85-89, rev2 is the ACIS controlled 158/4 BHP from 90-93 and the rev3 is the '94 on engine 172 ish BHP (until late 90's when more emissions took it down to 168).

Could be totally wrong but thats the way I see it ;)

Hmmm no you are right that is MR2 talk, what was I thinking?? :wacko: Doh! You try to help someone and you give them wrong information................bit like the MET office :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links