Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Tax Exemption

Carrera_C

How old does a car have to be nowadays for it to become tax exempt? I ask as I've got a 1979 MG Midget in the garage (28 years old this year). I heard that it was changed from 25 years old to 30 years old, but I also heard that they scrapped the tax free thing all together.

Can anyone confirm what the actual deal is with the car tax exemption?

Unfortunatley it's not the 25yr old rule anymore as more and more cars are reaching that ripe ol' age. Ruling is it had to be made (not registered) before 1st January 1973.

Another Government ploy! :angry:

yep pre 1973. A lot of 74 and 75 vehicles get away with it though if you can prove when they were built.

If you think your vehicle may have been built before 1973 then go to:

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/arc...cate_index.html

If they do your car then you can get a certificate which the DVLA will begrudgingly accept and give you historic vehicle status

Just read your post properly and it's a 1979 MG so they will do a certificate for that - doubt it will be pre 1973, although I do know someone with a landrover on a 1981 plate which they managed to find out had been in the Army for 10 years before it was registered so that was eligible.

Hmmmm, well it's the 1500cc model that didn't start getting built until 1974, so I can't really see it somehow falling into the pre-1973 market. And I can't see it being used by the army or anything before it was registered in 1979.

Ah well, I shall just have to keep paying car tax :(

Only ever get it taxed for 6 months out of the year anyway so it doesn't cost too much. Still it would have been nice to put that money in my pocket.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links