Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Wipers A Wash Out?

chandler32

I have 'auto' wipers on my T3-X and they are somewhat eccentric!! they seem to be ok sometimes, and then they'll go into hyper mode with a bit of light rain. Its a lovely idea, but really I'd much rather have a manual intermittent setting like every other car.

does anyone else have these problems or do i just have a crazy sensor? :huh:

I have 'auto' wipers on my T3-X and they are somewhat eccentric!! they seem to be ok sometimes, and then they'll go into hyper mode with a bit of light rain. Its a lovely idea, but really I'd much rather have a manual intermittent setting like every other car.

Hi mate, got them on my T4 but dont know if they are working ok. Where is the sensor, by the way, is it a strip slightly longer than the mirror and positioned above it? Thanks in advance for yours or anybodies reply! Jed.

Yes the auto wipers are pretty useless, I'd prefer to manually adjust them. The solenoid also makes quite a loud click when it activates them.

the sensor is the little round bit behind the rear view mirror looking though the windscreen.

It just seems a bit odd to put a feature like that in a car when it clearly doesn't work as it should, and then to remove the manual function....

guess its not just mine then!

Mine work has i like for about 70% of the time. They seem to do the odd sweep in light rain which is fine, then go onto fast speed for no reason. The adjuster dial on the stalk makes no difference at all to how they work either.

I'm with you on that. It irritates the hell out of me that the wipers go into high speed mode so easily. It's a mode that I have very rarely used on any car. Even on the lowest sensitivity they will do this when encountering the likes of spray on the motorway. But give it a gradual dousing of large, heavy raindrops at 30mph and the wipers refuse to budge an inch without manual intervention. Manual, variable, intermittent for me as well please.

When I first got my T3X the wipers would go like crazy even in seemingly light rain. It was quite embarrassing when sitting in traffic. I decided the Wiper Blades weren't performing well and replaced them both (with Toyota blades which by the way are very good and very reasonably priced) . Problem solved! I'm actually very pleased with this feature and leave them in auto mode all the while. Occassionally I have to override manually, but generally they wipe when I need them to even when starting from cold.

When I first got my T3X the wipers would go like crazy even in seemingly light rain. It was quite embarrassing when sitting in traffic. I decided the wiper blades weren't performing well and replaced them both (with Toyota blades which by the way are very good and very reasonably priced) . Problem solved! I'm actually very pleased with this feature and leave them in auto mode all the while. Occassionally I have to override manually, but generally they wipe when I need them to even when starting from cold.

Yes, I've heard this too. The original wipers do not fully wipe the sensor thus confusing the system into thinking it is still raining. Slightly longer replacement wiper may just do the trick.

My Skoda Octavia auto wipers work a treat and I have far fewer instances of them not working when they should. Maybe Toyota should have a chat with the VAG guys!

the sensor is the little round bit behind the rear view mirror looking though the windscreen.

It just seems a bit odd to put a feature like that in a car when it clearly doesn't work as it should, and then to remove the manual function....

guess its not just mine then!

Hi again mate, you say the sensor is the round bit behind the mirror, so what is the strip above the mirror I mentioned on my last post? Is it the aeriel? I am confused, 'cos it says in the manual that the aeriel is in the rear window, if thats true what the hell is this strip then? :huh:

On my CTS the auto wipers work fine.. the adjuster dial on the stalk seems to turn the sensitivity up and down.

Hi again mate, you say the sensor is the round bit behind the mirror, so what is the strip above the mirror I mentioned on my last post? Is it the aeriel? I am confused, 'cos it says in the manual that the aeriel is in the rear window, if thats true what the hell is this strip then? :huh:

Theres no 'strip' on mine. if you look from the outside, theres the round sensor then the dots of the sunshade around the rear view mirror. the aerial is on the rear.

Had mine 2 years, never had an issue, works just as I would expect it to. 10/10 for Mr T from me :thumbsup:

I had major problems with mine a few months back, really erratic, and went bonkers even in light rain.

This happened for about 2 months until one day I took the car through a car wash, and they were perfect after!

I think when I had washed the car previously, I have not cleaned the glass above the sensor properly, and maybe there was a film of oil still on it which the brushes of the car wash got rid of.

Who says car washes are bad for your car!

Theres no 'strip' on mine. if you look from the outside, theres the round sensor then the dots of the sunshade around the rear view mirror. the aerial is on the rear.

Hi chandler32, ta for your reply, but I'm still confused! I have seen the sensor for the wipers and discovered that they are working fine, but I still dont know what the strip is for! Its about 12" long and nearly 1" wide. On the inside of the screen there is a block about 2" long stuck on the strip with a wire coming out of it and going into the mirror mounting/housing, I wonder if it could be a sensor for the air con? I know the old avensis had a little dome thing on the dash for the air con. I wonder if anybody else knows what it could be for? Cheers, Jed.

• 2 weeks later...

well, after buying new wipers, the thing is totally transformed. Auto wipers are actually not sensitive enough now!!

I hadn't noticed the adjuster dial before so after turning it up a notch, they now work perfectly.

Wipers were £17 from MrT for the set of 3 and are superb.

Jed,

the strip that you refer to on the windscreen is the antena for the sat nav. you wont find this strip on the T3X orT2, only on sat nav models.

Jed,

the strip that you refer to on the windscreen is the antena for the sat nav. you wont find this strip on the T3X orT2, only on sat nav models.

jamboboy, thanks mate, I was struggling to find out what it was cos the older avensis had a sensor behind the dash so you didnt see it! cheers Jed.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never had any problems with my 03 T4 Avensis. Try cleaning the sensor. The owners manual also states that when you first get in your car if the wipers have been left in auto mode and the windscreen is wet you might have to turn the auto mode on and off so as to re-set it. As for a manual over ride, my car has this, intermittant, on permanent slow or fast or auto setting hi or low.

Hope that helps

• 4 months later...

I had a similar problem with my T4 (03) and took it back to dealer who replaced the sensor under warranty. Not much changed till I replaced the passenger side wiper blade just a few months ago. Following this I have to turn the control to Pull + to get it to wipe frequently enough. Before the wiper change they came on at odd times would not go off till it scrapped glass off the window etc (eccentric you call it).

They do work better, allbeit not coming on quite fast enough now, but definitely much better!!!!

Worth a try for a 10 quid.

G

hi

mine work properly.

i had no any issues before.

igor

• 2 months later...

hi

mine work properly.

i had no any issues before.

igor

I would like to share my experience. When I bought my Toyota D4D T3-X second hand it was with the original Toyota Wiper Blades. No problem with the sensor whatsoever, apart from squeaky blades. Then I bought Bosch wipers (I had not known about the offer from Toyota which by far is the best). Initially evrything was perfect, All of a sudden the sensor got crazy and would go in hyper mode for no reason. I cleaned the sensor area with ethanol to make sure no oily soil spoils the party but to no avail.

Today I have noticed that the wipre blades (that are supposed to fit Toyota Avensis 03 reg) are not tightly fitted and as a result only half of the sensor was cleaned by the wiper blade.

Once I rectified this once again the sensor works seamlessly.

I thought that some of you might've experienced similar reasons for sensors not working. It is not the first thing that springs to mind but seems to do the job.

Simply my 2 p.

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links