Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corrola '90 Strange Sound On Rear Suspension

cozmo

Hi to everybody!

I have a 1990. Corolla (carburetor model), sedan version, and recently I've drove the car over VERY VERY bumpy road - so now I have strange "clung" sound coming from right rear wheel area. I've heard that sound before that but very quiet and rare... now it's louder and I hear "clunk, clunk" when car hits bigger bumps on road. I've checked and noticed that my rear right shock absorber is leaking. Is it possible that shock absorber develops that kind of sound? Also when I hit bigger bumps, righ rear wheel will swing a little if I drive very fast, but otherwise - car is very stable (I have no problems when I hit the brakes hard - no swings and bumping). It sounds like metal on metal "clunk", but the springs and everything else looks very good - only shock absorber is leaking. Mechanic says that leaking shock absorbers can be very loud if the piston inside is broke or loose. Is it true? maybe is something else

Best regards to all,

Ivan

Hi to everybody!

I have a 1990. Corolla (carburetor model), sedan version, and recently I've drove the car over VERY VERY bumpy road - so now I have strange "clung" sound coming from right rear wheel area. I've heard that sound before that but very quiet and rare... now it's louder and I hear "clunk, clunk" when car hits bigger bumps on road. I've checked and noticed that my rear right shock absorber is leaking. Is it possible that shock absorber develops that kind of sound? Also when I hit bigger bumps, righ rear wheel will swing a little if I drive very fast, but otherwise - car is very stable (I have no problems when I hit the brakes hard - no swings and bumping). It sounds like metal on metal "clunk", but the springs and everything else looks very good - only shock absorber is leaking. Mechanic says that leaking shock absorbers can be very loud if the piston inside is broke or loose. Is it true? maybe is something else

Best regards to all,

Ivan

Yes mate, ruined shocks do clunk, well my rear ones did anyway. I had no travel in them whatsoever and was told the piston inside was bottoming out. I was only running on springs apparently so I also had a different more mettallic clunk when the anti roll hit the springs.