Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Central Locking - No Start

Sump

Has anyone had the situation when getting into your 6th gen, closing the door and the central locking doesn't automatically click down - the result being that when you turn the ignition key on, the car doesn't start, ie no starter motor or anything, just silence? (admitedly - its only happened on the rare occasion, and is great otherwise)

I'm just wondering if this is "common" or happened to anyone else, and what's the reason why the engine doesn't start when the central locking hasn't properly activated?

Thanks

Are you trying to say your doors lock when you get in??

As for the car not starting sounds like something to do with the immobiliser. Is your car an import or UK, original alarm or aftermarket?

Hi mate - yes, the central locking automatically locks about 1 second after getting in and closing the door - I'm not sure whether this is standard or not on these cars ? , but I've never seen it on any other car I've owned.

Thinking back, when we bought the car the dealer "cautiously/hesitantly" mentioned that the doors lock "as standard" after getting in, but he never gave an explanation and we never asked about it.

Also, the car is a standard UK pre-facelift 174 bhp 6th gen. There is an alarm on it (I think), but I'm not sure about it's details.

The key fob we've got is Green, has two buttons, the first opens and closes the car - not sure about the second button - sometimes when trying to start the car the alarm comes on with the indicator ticking, and after a bit of fob pressing it goes off and eventually after the central locking clicks down into place the ignition is activated and the engine starts as normal.

Just another thing - does it sound like this imobiliser/key fob system was added later to this car or did it come as standard in 94/95when the car was made?

Thanks.

So if you open up your car, throw your stuff into the car and chuck your keys on the seat then someone starts talking to you and you close the door - your car will lock the keys inside?? Doesn't sound too good :)

It's definitely not the standard set-up and they had black keyfobs not green - sounds like you've got yourself an aftermarket alarm system there. You'd have to find out what type it is.

Sorry that I can't help you more :g:

Very Dark Green fob with "Sterling" written on it and 2 lime green buttons - presumably it's a TOAD Sterling alarm/imobiliser system ?

I'll have a read through the Search on here and see if I can find any similar alarm/imobiliser issues.

Hi, it's obviously fitted with a anti-hijack feature which is a complete pain in the ****!! Like sotal said it's easy to lock your keys in then you have to go through a keying in sequence to disarm it. Best thing to do is do a search on the net and find out which alarm it has fitted, very likely a Toad, look at all pics to match the fobs etc and then download a manual for it. The first button will open and lock the car, the 2nd will probably be to lock doors with/without internal sensors (press 1 then 2) and also to override immobiliser when trying to start it. Maybe :yes: ;)

Thanks mate - over the last couple of days I've noticed that if I get in and don't open a window or move the gearstick etc before I start the car, it will start fine and the central locking then only activates when I start moving - however, if I do open a window or move the gearstick etc before starting the car the central locking and immobiliser activates and the car won't start - could possibly be this internal sensor thing triggering the immobiliser?

So basically, I'm now just getting in, and not moving or opening anything until I actually start the car :thumbsup: - hopefully this will sort it.

It sounds like you've got a female car :lol:

:lol: Yeah, don't do anything without her approval first and don't forget to tell her she looks gorgeous every time you want to ride in her :D.

Sump are you sure that it is not just your imagination that when you touch anything the immobiliser kicks in? When you unlock the doors, therefore disarming the alarm, the internal sensors shouldn't be sensing. I know that with mine if I open the doors then there is a timed delay before the immobiliser kicks in, say, 30 seconds to a minute something like that. I then have to press the 2nd button to override this. It could be that as you are opening the windows or doing whatever this is enough time for the immobiliser to kick in. :unsure:

Sump are you sure that it is not just your imagination that when you touch anything the immobiliser kicks in? When you unlock the doors, therefore disarming the alarm, the internal sensors shouldn't be sensing. I know that with mine if I open the doors then there is a timed delay before the immobiliser kicks in, say, 30 seconds to a minute something like that. I then have to press the 2nd button to override this. It could be that as you are opening the windows or doing whatever this is enough time for the immobiliser to kick in. :unsure:

It could be, mate - I hadn't considered a timed-delay before the imob kicked in - I'll keep that possibility in mind - On a related point, I've sort of thought about replacing the car Battery just in case (assuming its not a starter motor issue), but again it does seem highly likely to be an alrm/immobiliser issue.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and see how it goes, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - the car's been fine the last 2 weeks - it's starting first time and the central locking is definately kicking in after I start the engine, not before, so it seems ok.

toad alarms lock doors 10 seconds after starting engine.

the hijack feature can be turned off if you have the alarms 4 digit code number

I have a manual for a Toad alarm somehere if you get stuck.

I quite like the anti-hijacking feature though - works fine for me.

And regarding the re-imobolisation that occurs if you don't start up the engine within a certain period of time - just press the unlock button and the imobiliser is disabled again so it's not really a problem.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Think I've worked out the likely cause of the intermittent "no start" situation on my GT :) - (replaced the Battery as a precaution, but still intermitently not starting) - according to google it's likely to be that the "starter brushes" are very worn - (when I turn the key I intermitently get a Single click but no starter crank).

So - is it easy to get at the starter to clean or replace the starter brushes or is it a more involved job? Does anyone think it'd be cheaper to get a mobile mechanic out or put it into a garage to do it?

TIA

i think you'll find its the CONTACTS that need replacing , they pit with age hence the click click click click , on start up. costs usually £40 to have it done, removing the starter is fairly straight forward on the celicas.

price a recon unit and maybe have a mobile mech out to do the job.

Thanks GT - so basically, could a mobile mechanic replace the starter contacts without swapping the whole starter motor? - am thinking along the lines of the starter motor working "well" when it works, so assuming it is just the contacts, would rather just replace them instead of paying for a whole recon starter motor.

Thanks

I had a similar thing on another vehicle, worked for weeks sometimes then, nothing but clicks when I tried to start it, sometimes giving it a bash with a long screwdriver got it going again,

decided in the end to take it off and pop down to the local motor factors to see if they could do a replacement, and when I came to undo the big terminal where the positive attached, I found it had come loose, a quick tighten and it was perfect - just a thought as it was a lot cheaper!! :lol:

yes , you can replace the internals of the unit you have. call toyota and ask for a starter motor overhaul kit . They do em for a hilux so id imagine a celica kit will be out there.

Thanks guys - I've homed in on it a bit more today - I tried putting it in 1st gear and rocking the car backwards and forwards and then starting it up - and luckily it worked and started fine after 2 or 3 goes :) - however, given all the above, it looks like the starter's knackered so were just going to have to buy a recon'd starter motor and have it fitted by a mobile mechanic.

rocking or hitting a celica starter wont to any good once the starter contacts have fried.

they dont work on a spindle n bush type set up where the central rod gets stuck.

• 1 month later...

Finally bought a replacement starter motor (£30 + VAT, which was quite good....) and had it fitted - starts first time, every time now..........phew...... :)

So, thanks all, problem solved.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links