Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uk 6th Gen Gt - Versions

Sump

Just a couple of questions re: the UK 6th gen GT pre-facelift and facelift Celica's -

The average mpg on my car (pre-facelift) is apparently 31mpg (feels like it does 23-25mpg round town though)- does anyone know what the average is on the facelift version?

Also what exactly did Toyota change in the facelift version to improve mpg and reduce power from 174bhp to 168bhp?

Is the torque the same for the pre and facelift versions?

Also, does the facelift version feel "noticeably" torkier lower down the rev range or is it negligible?

I love my car, but am just seeing how it compares to a possible future facelift version.

Thanks

Three differences I know of under the hood on my facelift GT:

- Exhaust gas recirculation

- Additional resonator box

- Larger exhaust manifold

Low down power is fine, reasonable torque from 2k, it still really picks up at about 4k. I imagine the VVTi version (beams engine) will deliver the best power across the rev range (of the 3SGE celica's).

One thing I've found a bit of a hassle re torque, is overtaking at 40-45 - it's arguably a bit harsh to drop into 2nd at that speed, but the revs in 3rd gear at that speed are quite low hence "a slow pull" from there - obviously, dropping into 3rd at 60 with the 3SGE is great, but it's just that 40-45 mph bit were it's a bit lacking.

What average mpg to you get btw in the facelift version? - one thing I've noticed about my pre-facelift is that it's thirsty round town.

40-45 is where 2nd performs best! The engine loves it. Just take good care of her and she will keep rewarding you with a lively drive.

Yea exactly, 40mph ~ 4000rpm in second gear. Most of its power is from 4 to 7, so at that speed just blip the throttle and go for 2nd :)

It'd be nice if the GT had a 6 speed like the gen7, but no, long gearing 5-speed unfortunatly.

One thing I've found a bit of a hassle re torque, is overtaking at 40-45 - it's arguably a bit harsh to drop into 2nd at that speed, but the revs in 3rd gear at that speed are quite low hence "a slow pull" from there - obviously, dropping into 3rd at 60 with the 3SGE is great, but it's just that 40-45 mph bit were it's a bit lacking.

What average mpg to you get btw in the facelift version? - one thing I've noticed about my pre-facelift is that it's thirsty round town.

I have a 1995 SSII, returns 22/23 mpg around town which I do not consider thirsty for a 2 litre 170 ish bhp car. My last car was a 1.8 Honda powered Rover 600 which returned 21 ish mpg around town and she was only 115bhp approx. The post facelift ones aren't going to be noticably lighter on fuel.

It'd be nice if the GT had a 6 speed like the gen7

The gen7 only has 6 gears because its got a narrow power band and no torque. Give me a 5 speed gen 6 anyday :thumbsup:

40-45 is where 2nd performs best! The engine loves it. Just take good care of her and she will keep rewarding you with a lively drive.

Yes, after a bit more time with the car, the performance is excellent from 4k in 2, although the "engine braking slow down" is a bit harsh and kind of interupts it a bit - I do like the engine tone, sort of "American muscle car" ish sound (on the pre-facelift atleast) - nice change from the previous car though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links