Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abs Problem

Myk

I have a 51 plate Avensis. Over the past year or so the ABS has been 'kicking in' at slower speeds whilst turning. It is unnecessary as it is doing it on clear dry roads. I've spoken with my mechanic and he says it's nothing to worry about as I will always have the standard breaking system to fall back on if, in the unlikely event of a complete ABS failure (there are no warning lights showing). He also says it would be a costly business to diagnose the fault. It's not getting any better but most certainly getting worse.

Anyone have any suggestion as to what it is and how to fix it? Is it cost effective to repair?

Thanks

For the ABS to kick in it must detect a wheel that is 'skidding'. I notice it on mine at the end of my road where there's a metal grate that is in my path whilst braking which invariably causes the ABS to kick in. Surely you must be 'skidding' as you apply the brakes (or during braking) to invoke it?

• 2 weeks later...

No 'skidding'. This is happening on public roads at very slow speeds in dry conditions - as described in the original post.

Does your car have VSC/TRC or did that not appear 'til later on? My 05 model does a similar thing - in my case it's down to my bad driving habbits: Because FWD cars have a tendancy to under-steer I've picked up the habbit of steering a little bit more than I should to compensate for this, this in turn confuses the car's computer and sets off the VSC/TRC causing the symptoms that you describe.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it has VSC/TRC. No warning lights appear and it is most certainly not a bad driving habit (I'm an emergency service trained advanced driver) that is making the ABS 'kick in'. My wife witnesses the same problem when she drives the car.

This is obviously quite a unique fault to my vehicle. Not many people here seem to have witnessed my problem and no one has much to say :crybaby:

Is the abs only kicking in whilst turning and breaking at the same time, or only when turning?

If it is when also braking, i suppose one of the abs sensors think that the wheel it is connected

to is locking up. If that is the case, check the sensors to see if there is some kind of visual damage,

and maybe have them tested electrically.