Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing Breaks

dr_roy

Hi,

I have been quoted something like 296£ for front discs and pads and slightly less (260£) for rear discs+pads. This is from an official Toyota garage.

Am I being ripped of or does this sound reasonable for genuine Toyota approved spares?

The car is Avensis 1.8 GS VVTi (2002 model) with soon 70000 miles on the clock. Is it time for new breaks now (discs are corroded and pads are about 80% worn)?

I will not be buying spares of eBay and try and replace them myself (I do not have the time or skill to do so)...

By the way...as some might have experienced on the Avensis models 99-02 there is squeaking coming from behind the steering wheel...that is covered under extended warranty by Toyota and they will take care of it if your car is <5 years old or <100 000 miles on the clock. My garage will check for approval tomorrow and if all is good I will leave the car there on Wednesday for repairs (free courtesy car is also provided).

Cheers.

Not too sure what prices we sell discs/pads for but i know they arent cheap being genuine Toyota parts.

Discs do corrode on the rear face quite badly. Ask your dealer if they can just skim the discs (we have 2 'on car' skimmers where i work) and reface the pads? might be a bit cheaper.

The squeak from behind the steering wheel could be the usual steering rack seal/bush becoming dry and squeaking/squealing and the noise travels up the steering column.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Mart

70,000 miles on original disks is damned good going! For all round disks and pads I would budget £400 main dealer, maybe half that at a reputable garage usuing pattern parts.

Not too sure what prices we sell discs/pads for but i know they arent cheap being genuine Toyota parts.

Discs do corrode on the rear face quite badly. Ask your dealer if they can just skim the discs (we have 2 'on car' skimmers where i work) and reface the pads? might be a bit cheaper.

The squeak from behind the steering wheel could be the usual steering rack seal/bush becoming dry and squeaking/squealing and the noise travels up the steering column.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Mart

I called and discussed the possibility of skimming the discs. They were pretty worn already so they could skimm them but it would push the disc closer to a fail on the MOT and would only maybe last another 8-10 months.

Regarding the squeak Toyota approved replacing (under extended warranty) the steering rack so I will get that + breaks sorted during the week. Wonder what type of courtesy car they will provide *me-hopes-for-the-landcruiser* :)

The only courtesy cars we use are AYGO or YARIS. I doubt you will get anything bigger than these, no chance of a landcruiser lol.

Mart

The only courtesy cars we use are AYGO or YARIS. I doubt you will get anything bigger than these, no chance of a landcruiser lol.

Mart

A man can dream...I got landed with a wee Yaris (1.0 Petrol). Its kinda sweet but sounds/goes like a moped :)

I am picking up my Toyota on Saturday with new discs, pads and a new steering rack. Best of all they wash the car for you :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have been quoted something like 296£ for front discs and pads and slightly less (260£) for rear discs+pads. This is from an official Toyota garage.

Am I being ripped of or does this sound reasonable for genuine Toyota approved spares?

The car is Avensis 1.8 GS VVTi (2002 model) with soon 70000 miles on the clock. Is it time for new breaks now (discs are corroded and pads are about 80% worn)?

I will not be buying spares of Ebay and try and replace them myself (I do not have the time or skill to do so)...

By the way...as some might have experienced on the Avensis models 99-02 there is squeaking coming from behind the steering wheel...that is covered under extended warranty by Toyota and they will take care of it if your car is <5 years old or <100 000 miles on the clock. My garage will check for approval tomorrow and if all is good I will leave the car there on Wednesday for repairs (free courtesy car is also provided).

Cheers.

i got the front and back discs and pads replaced in leicester at toyota. it cost me 650

I recon Standard Toyota brakes arent up to much, the front worpe easy.

I have a 2001 2.0 vvt-i and i've bought uprated discs and pads of the internet for much cheaper than what the dealer is asking!

Font Discs are Roseni drilled and groved, and rears are standard spec but not toyotas, Both sets of pads are EBC's greenstuff.

Paid less than £200 for the lot, and work great!