Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg

chatman

Re-set the fuel comp on the RAV this morning after filling up, and after 40 mile journey to work checked readout.... :blink: :blink:

IMAGE_021.jpg

Now I know it reads out by 4-5mpg as I have done the calcs after filling up before..But still very good... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Would be interesting to see what other owners are getting...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• Fujisan

• bothwell_buyer

• chatman

Chatman,

Had to go to Aberdeen for a couple of days last week (work), best I could get was 41 mpg. :angry: Best I've ever had was a 450 mile

journey last year, got an average of 47 MPG. Re your 54.3, were you going down a steep hill with a tail wind ? :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Dave.

Chatman,

Had to go to Aberdeen for a couple of days last week (work), best I could get was 41 mpg. :angry: Best I've ever had was a 450 mile

journey last year, got an average of 47 MPG. Re your 54.3, were you going down a steep hill with a tail wind ? :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Dave.

Slight hill down M25 but then around north circular a bit.....

That's an amazing result, chatman. I've got the 2.2 D4D and it returns very good economy too, although as with yours the figure produced by the computer is a bit too optimistic - by about 3mpg in my case. With this and previous cars I have found that several factors make an enormous difference:

1. hills - you never gain going downhill what you lost going uphill

2. winding roads - all that slowing and accelerating is very bad

3. road surface - smooth roads seem to be more economical than rough roads

4. wind

5. speed. At 20 or 30mph it shows something like 70mpg! Having an on board computer makes you drive like an old woman... Which is a good thing in these days of climate change, I suppose!

So depending on how those five things affect my journey, I get between 43 and 50 (computer) or 40 and 47 mpg (actual). But I should think that on a still day, on a Dutch road at a steady 50mph I would get at least 55mpg.... All of which I think is fantastic for a medium-size 4WD with lots of torque and other good things.

look at my signature where you find my live MPG data... Very simple no (car)computer needed and more accurate :D

I reset the trip at each fill and compare the computer mpg with a figure calculated from mileage and fill quantity. The trip seems to give me just over 42mpg for most fills. My spreadsheet (where I record data) is giving an average over my first 18,000 miles of 39; most individual fills come out at around 38-40 (always some error as you can never fill to exactly the same level each time).

However, to complicate the calculations, I've checked the odometer against known routes and it's reading around 3% low according to maps and GPS. There's an assumption, of course, that the pumps I use are metering correctly (my understanding is that they have to dispense within +1%/-0.5% - with a zero cumulative bias - SI1995/1014) or the whole calculation is irrelevant.

Compensating for that and my calculated mpg is 40 so I now take the computer mpg to be around 5% high. I'll not complain at 40mpg of mixed town, motorway and rural driving ; I know I can get a better figure if I drive more conservatively as I have managed over 45mpg on a trip where I took it quite leisurely.

That's an amazing result, chatman. I've got the 2.2 D4D and it returns very good economy too, although as with yours the figure produced by the computer is a bit too optimistic - by about 3mpg in my case. With this and previous cars I have found that several factors make an enormous difference:

1. hills - you never gain going downhill what you lost going uphill

2. winding roads - all that slowing and accelerating is very bad

3. road surface - smooth roads seem to be more economical than rough roads

4. wind

5. speed. At 20 or 30mph it shows something like 70mpg! Having an on board computer makes you drive like an old woman... Which is a good thing in these days of climate change, I suppose!

So depending on how those five things affect my journey, I get between 43 and 50 (computer) or 40 and 47 mpg (actual). But I should think that on a still day, on a Dutch road at a steady 50mph I would get at least 55mpg.... All of which I think is fantastic for a medium-size 4WD with lots of torque and other good things.

Yea like to play the fuel comp game... :unsure: :unsure: try keeping it between a set number....all those cars that wizz past me I always see them again at bottom of M11 :D :D :D

Now Petrol is more or less the same price as diesel, this makes driving the RAV D4D even more appealing...

This is a good site to find Fuel Petrol Prices

Chatman, that's a great result!

Now some really sad anorak stuff for you (I couldn't resist). The graphs below are from when I owned my 4.2 D4D

fuelConsump.jpg

The red "curve" shows the fuel computer mpg and yellow one the calculated mpg. They are a bit spiky, one reason may be that I usually round my fill-ups up to the nearest quid. I didn't taken into account any distance errors as Steve outlined (or pump errors!) so possibly the figures should be lower. The horizontal yellow line shows the overall average (about 41mpg).

The big spikes are due to long distance runs to/from the glorious Scottish Highlands. The best I achieved was 52mpg (computer) or 51 mpg (calculated) - fully loaded with people and luggage - but many would probably hate the type of driving needed to achieve this! Most other driving is about a 20:80 split of motorway:urban driving.

fuelAveraged.jpg

The one above, just attempts to filter out the spikes a bit with a simple "rolling" average on the figures. You can see the dips during the winter months.

fuelError.jpg

This one just tracks the differences seen between the computer and calculated mpg. As much as 4mpg difference, but the average is about 1mpg.

I've just done my first long distance trip with the 4.3. I got 51.9 mpg (computer) and 49.3 mpg (calculated). Not quite as good as the 4.2 results yet, but the 4.3 had only about 2.5k miles on the clock at the start and the weather was wet (surprise!). The 4.2 run, if I remember correctly, was warm and dry, which I feel does make a difference. Also, I know I am already using less fuel with my "normal" motoring with the 4.3 and hopefully it will get better with a few more miles on the clock, so no disappointment with the 4.3 yet!

Gas Guzzling 4x4?....................Er, nope, don't think so!

SCHM, impressive stuff :thumbsup: pretty similar to the results I get from my 4.2 when I behave myself :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Dave.

SCHM all I can say is WOW :eek: :eek: that is some deeeeeeeeeeeeep anorak stuff for me...

Very good though and nice to see that we don't drive a gas guzzling evil earth polluting nasty 4x4, unlike the RR I was behind this morning...it was like following a old steam engine the amount of smoke coming out of it..and it was only two years old :o :o "cough cough"

keep up the good work all.................and if this rain keeps on coming we will can see who can wade the deepest soon....... B) B)

, unlike the RR I was behind this morning...it was like following a old steam engine the amount of smoke coming out of it..and it was only two years old :o :o "cough cough"

yeah, you make a good point here. the transport business had to spend millions and millions of £££ to install special filters on their trucks but the car & 4x4 industry can just smoke like a factory...

This is what I got out of my Avensis 1.8 Auto. last week running around Norfolk. To say I am well pleased is an understatement.

DSCN0544.jpg

DSCN0553.jpg

Quite a feat for an auto :thumbsup:

Dave.

Been running with Air Con on as the big round hot thing appeared in the sky a few days this week..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: even got upto 26c

IMAGE_078.jpg

This is what the average was.... :yahoo: :yahoo: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Having read reports about the superior performance and economy with the BP Ultimate, decided to try it for myself and have noticed a considerable difference - probably about 4mpg, which pays for the premium on the fuel. Averaged just over 52mpg on a tour of the west coast of Scotland, over the hills and around the bends, two up with dog, picnic, walking equipment etc. on board, and the AC intermittently switched on. Fantastic! Sorry - not clever enough to include photographs of the display...

It's the 2.2 diesel, by the way.

Parents have also just bought one on my recommendation and are very pleased with it, the only trouble being that their ancient legs struggle to operate the rather fierce clutch.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit relaxed this past couple of weeks and not pushing on quite so hard on the road and discovered my computer was reporting just over 50mpg a fill back - the range driving off the forecourt was 505 miles. Cutting back just a little bit (aiming for just under 70mpg on motorways/dual carriageways rather than trying to keep up with the faster traffic at 75-ish), plus a bit less welly cross-country and economy is boosted by almost 20%. Journey times aren't really any longer and I could be donating £400 a year less to Shell :D

Have found exactly the same, Steve. No noticeable difference to journey times but am fresher and more relaxed when I get there, and no doubt it's a lot safer too. Used to be a bit of a girl racer but must be turning into a boring old !Removed! now. Still, it makes me feel good to rise above the mentality of white-van-men and other idiots and just let them get on with it, rather than let them irritate me into driving too hard and fast myself.

Now I tootle along peacefully, observing the speed limits (approximately!), chortling to myself about the fuel economy....

Have found exactly the same, Steve. No noticeable difference to journey times but am fresher and more relaxed when I get there, and no doubt it's a lot safer too. Used to be a bit of a girl racer but must be turning into a boring old !Removed! now. Still, it makes me feel good to rise above the mentality of white-van-men and other idiots and just let them get on with it, rather than let them irritate me into driving too hard and fast myself.

Now I tootle along peacefully, observing the speed limits (approximately!), chortling to myself about the fuel economy....

Yes, it's amazing how, if you don't exceed the speed limits you seem to be continually overtaken by white vans :unsure: I wonder just how many of their drivers actually know many of their vans have a lower legal limit on some roads. Mind you, stick to 60 on a normal A-road and you get artics on your rear bumper (and their limit is even lower - and the consequence of a slip-up even greater). You actually start wishing there were more mobile speed cameras about. :!Removed!:

Of course, slower isn't necessarily safer - you still need to keep awake - but I agree you arrive more relaxed...

Of course, slower isn't necessarily safer - you still need to keep awake - but I agree you arrive more relaxed...

You might be relaxed, But the people queing up behind wont be, And any one who thinks there should be

more speed cameras is clearly too old to be driving :rolleyes::rolleyes:

THAT SHOULD LIVEN THIS THREAD UP :yahoo::yahoo:

Well, eanjohn, you throw out the bait and some fool is bound to take it...

If I am zooming along doing a steady 60mph on a country road and someone behind me decides I should be speeding, that is his problem, isn't it? The trick is not to scream along at the speed of sound on the straight, but to keep your speed up around the bends!

Or do you hold the same sad views as the mindless authors of (some) motorcycling and boyracers' magazines who reckon you're deeply uncool if you don't go around breaking the law? Surely not...

The view from approximately half way between this little battle of nationalities is that you can drive at any speed you like within the realms of safety and if everybody leaves a sensible gap then those that want to pass can do. I hate following somebody who doesn't have the confidence to pass but insists on making it awkward for those stuck behind :ermm:

White van man is a misnomer. It certainly isn't human and I'm fairly sure it is not animal. It is some kind of simple cell organism that has been given a van with which to menace the human race - like a hospital super bug. It cannot hold a driving license and does not think it just exists. It attaches itself by a membrane to the back of your vehicle but will make it's way around to the front usually when something is coming the other way.

Maybe there will be a cure for it one day but for now just be safe.

The view from approximately half way between this little battle of nationalities is that you can drive at any speed you like within the realms of safety and if everybody leaves a sensible gap then those that want to pass can do. I hate following somebody who doesn't have the confidence to pass but insists on making it awkward for those stuck behind :ermm:

White van man is a misnomer. It certainly isn't human and I'm fairly sure it is not animal. It is some kind of simple cell organism that has been given a van with which to menace the human race - like a hospital super bug. It cannot hold a driving license and does not think it just exists. It attaches itself by a membrane to the back of your vehicle but will make it's way around to the front usually when something is coming the other way.

Maybe there will be a cure for it one day but for now just be safe.

NICE ONE :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Well, eanjohn, you throw out the bait and some fool is bound to take it...

If I am zooming along doing a steady 60mph ??????? ZOOMING ???? 60 mph????dont think that is

classed as zooming :thumbsup:

I think its time to start patching up Hadrians wall :boxing:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links