Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica 2000xt Ra40?

u47sb2

Anyone know much about these? Thinking about one that's for sale and want to read up on things to watch out for mechanically and structurally. Doesn't seem to be much info out there. Anyone on here own one?

cheers, Steven

Rule number 1, if it has body rust you 99% guaranteed that its got LOTs of rust elsewhere.

Make sure you get underneath the car and give it a thorough inspection.

Number 2, Check it drives safe, corners/stops and accelerated ok without any strange knocking sounds.

In my opinion i would only buy one with a valid/current MOT on it. Unless you are good at bodywork and can live without it on the road for a few months while you fix stuff on it.

Number 3, make sure there is no smoke, no leaks and the tyres are safe.

Getting tyres for these is tough as i found out with my ma61.

Also make sure there is no accident damage as well as doing a datacheck on the car.

If you get it post up a pic or two :thumbsup:

Anyone know much about these? Thinking about one that's for sale and want to read up on things to watch out for mechanically and structurally. Doesn't seem to be much info out there. Anyone on here own one?

cheers, Steven

I've got one.

Its rare, especially if its an early round headlight model.

Check the rear arches, sills and under the the fuel filler door. Tailgate (front and back edge), doors (top and bottom) and bonnet front edge, front valance, bottom of wings, under the rear hatch rubber seal. They don't rust that much structurally, and engine compartment/inner wing/floor pan rust is almost unheard of. That's about it. Sills are hard to get hold of, but are relatively easy to have made up. Rear arches can be had for a price if you know where to look, same for wings, bonnets, doors, hatches. Rear valances are near impossible to find. If it's a late model, check the headlight housings, as the chrome retaining rings are spring loaded shut and after 25 or 30 years, they're starting to break.

Mechanically they're dull but almost bullet-proof, but the engine (18R) needs leaded fuel......An 18R-G twin-cam conversion is virtually a drop-in operation, requiring some rewiring and a new throttle set-up and that's unleaded too. Finding one in good order is another matter.

Wheels should be 14 inch alloys, but with a 4.5 inch /114.5mm PCD, there's no problem with finding something else if you don't like 'em.

Interior trim is unique to the XT and early models differ from late models.

I've three pic of any early XT and a late one, with a pic of the (unique to) XT door trim just for fun.

post-307-1183756467_thumb.jpgpost-307-1183756440_thumb.jpgpost-307-1183756467_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

post-307-1183756426_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

It's an early round-headlight model ('79) and isn't currently fitted with the original alloys. Going to give the guy a phone early in the week. The rarity is part of the appeal!! Keeping an open mind and I'll be sure to search it for rust and check the basic mechanicals as you'd do with anything of that age!

• 4 weeks later...

I ve got one!

A 1979 Round light RA40XT and its a great car!

67k on the clock and it drives really well!

Good Luck with your one

Stevie

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links