Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking Into Buying Toyota

muzza_crx

hey, ive noticed a few nice toyotas kicking about recently and i realy like the look of the old gti-16`s ;) at the minute i own a Honda CRX mk2 1.6i 16v and was wanting to know how these compare to the corolla`s mensioned, performance wise etc. Ive got my eye on a nice white J plate one but wanna get the lowdown on them before i go buying...

... what are the common problems with these models ? what should i look out for when/before buying?

any help appreciated..

Hi chap and welcome to the club!

I'm sure fellow Corolla owners can point you in the right direction.

Welcome to TOC. Good luck with finding the car you want.

Our Rolla's an N plate, so slighty newer than the one you're considering.

Here's a list of all the problems we've had with it since new:-

:D

L plate:

so far only problems i've had are: a puncture, and someone keyed it!

Mechanically its sound as a pound!

hi mate and welcome... :thumbsup:

The maint o look out for on a corolla gti would be rust due to the age... around the arches / tailgate / sunroof and if bad sills / bottom of doors.. everywhere really :)

Mechanically though no real problems.... engine same as a rex if maintained will go on forever.... check for popping out of 5th gear as it was quite common.. other than that you'll find it a lot more 'refined' compared to the crx and 'lighter' to drive.. and a lot more smoother... i know them crx's feel like go-karts at the best of times...

wey this one ive acutally got my eye on has no signs of rust and looks like its been looked after from the exterior point of view, looks realy clean.

Hope you corolla guys dont mind me firing a few question over ;)

how much do these things weigh approx ?

whats the performance spec on these ? bhp,0-60 times as std?

being front engine front wheel drive, what conversions can get dropped in?

are they easy to get parts for ? modified/standard?

if i think of anymore i`ll ask :) thanks people

wey this one ive acutally got my eye on has no signs of rust and looks like its been looked after from the exterior point of view, looks realy clean.

Hope you corolla guys dont mind me firing a few question over ;)

how much do these things weigh approx ?

whats the performance spec on these ? bhp,0-60 times as std?

being front engine front wheel drive, what conversions can get dropped in?

are they easy to get parts for ? modified/standard?

if i think of anymore i`ll ask :) thanks people

They weigh around 1000kg, later models have the non-tvis small port engine(aka hi torque) with 129bhp and do sixty in around 8 secs, 125mph top speed (thast about 135mph on the speedo). I would imagaine it is very closely match to th 1.6i crx. My one complaint is the power steering is too light and the feel is not as good as it should be, however i'm sure uprated shocks would help this. Same tuning as crx, exhaust and filter will give you 5-10 bhp more then cams etc but this is pricey.

As for engine swaps you can get a 4agze, a supercharged version of the engine. Around 150bhp as standard but a bucket load more torque. This can easily be uprated to around 180bhp with a shorter pully. For somthing a bit more mad try a 3sgte conversion from an mr2 urbo. 220-240bhp as standard will make an awesome street sleeper (there is a guy on here with one).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links