Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1995 Celica Gt V 1995 Mr2

Sump

Has anyone driven a N/A mid-1990's MR2? Looking at Parkers I noticed a 7.7 to 60 for the MR2 and 7.9 for the Celica GT - I'm just wondering, do the MR2's feel nippier around town? Are they more fun as a drivers car or is the drive/performance fairly similar?

Thanks

Has anyone driven a N/A mid-1990's MR2? Looking at Parkers I noticed a 7.7 to 60 for the MR2 and 7.9 for the Celica GT - I'm just wondering, do the MR2's feel nippier around town? Are they more fun as a drivers car or is the drive/performance fairly similar?

Thanks

The driving exerience of the two is chalk an cheese; both nice in their own way, but very different cars despite having the same engine.

Being mid engine, rear drive the MR2 is probably the more satisfying of the two to drive well, and it's an absolute pleasure on decent roads. But on the other hand, if you rag it in the wet, especially on tight bends, or rough roads then it will be a handful. The Celica on the other hand is probably an easier and safer car to drive quickly. If things go too far, then I suspect it takes a much more experienced driver to get out of trouble with the MR2 compared with the Celica.

Either car has more than enough power for driving around town, so I don't think you should even worry about which is nippier; either way you're looking at 150bhp (++ depending on exactly which year / engine revision) but if you are that bothered the MR2 will be a tiny bit more nippy than the Celica.

HTH.

Tony

The mr2 has a quicker 0-60 due to the mid engine RWD layout. You can launch them at much higher revs without sufferng from piles of wheel spin. The earlier mk2 mr2 (rev 1 and 2) have an even quicker 0-60 of 7.2secs although they are down 20 odd bhp on the later models. As stated above the cars are very different to drive, the celica is more of a tourer and is soft, comfatable and eats up the miles where as the mr2 is a great drivers car that keeps you invloved. No doubt it will but a bigger smile on your face.

However, my own personal choice is the mk1 mr2. Its a bit slower to 60 (circa 8secs) but what it lacks in speed it more than makes up for in handling and character. It is looks better (IMO) and is cheaper to run.

2 tenths of a second wouldnt sway my vote for either model, i have owned both , Both are totally different in all ways . Depends what the individual is looking for in a car - my 1991 mr2 n/a i owned could shift along even with a dippy clutch and 140 k on the clock , marvellous sound 5000 rpm behind your head in 3rd gear awesome.

if its power you want look to the 3sgte , thats where its at. :toast::yahoo:

Thanks guys :thumbsup: - so basically, the 158 bhp rev 1 & 2 mrk 2 MR2 is the nippiest 0-60 at 7.2.

Does anyone know if there's an MPG difference between the UK - rev 2 - 158 bhp MR2 and the - rev 3 - 174 bhp MR2 ? I'm currently getting 26 mpg out of the Celica with urban driving - I'm just wondering whether the MR2 MK2 either rev 2 or rev 3 fairs any better?

TIA

Thanks guys :thumbsup: - so basically, the 158 bhp rev 1 & 2 mrk 2 MR2 is the nippiest 0-60 at 7.2.

Does anyone know if there's an MPG difference between the UK - rev 2 - 158 bhp MR2 and the - rev 3 - 174 bhp MR2 ? I'm currently getting 26 mpg out of the Celica with urban driving - I'm just wondering whether the MR2 MK2 either rev 2 or rev 3 fairs any better?

TIA

The mr2 will be about the same as i think they are about the same weight. I have heard of some early mk2's with a decat and filter making 60 in under 7secs with the perfect launch and running quicker quater miles than clio 182's and CTRs although i have never seen this myself. The reason for the difference in times is due to the extra bits and bobs the later mr2 got (rev 3 onwards), side impact bars, airbags etc all make a difference. Also if you buy a T-bar it will be slightly slower due to the extra supports they put in the doors etc. i would go for a rev 2 as it has better suspension and brakes than the early ones, also comes with 15" wheels as standard.

One thing is for sure the mr2 will always feel faster due to the engine screaming behind your head and the fact your lower to the ground.

Thanks mate :thumbsup: - I'll read around a bit on the MR2 section for more. I'm thinking of getting a panel filter for my Celi just to see if the car becomes a bit more responsive low down - not sure whether it will or not, though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links