Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Handbrake Problems

amyno

I have had my auris for a little under two months and have had no major problems, just little things, i had a rattle comming from the front of the dash, which went away on its own.

I really love my auris and it is a pleasure to drive.

However, the other day i got home from work, parked my car on the drive and went in my house. Next thing i know, i'm hearing horns go off, my car is now sitting in the middle of the T junction outside my house? I know i put the handbrake on as my drive is on a slope. Toyota are looking in to the problem and currently have my car.

I was just wondering if any one else had had any problem like this?

I have had my auris for a little under two months and have had no major problems, just little things, i had a rattle comming from the front of the dash, which went away on its own.

However, the other day i got home from work, parked my car on the drive and went in my house. Next thing i know, i'm hearing horns go off, my car is now sitting in the middle of the T junction outside my house? I know i put the handbrake on as my drive is on a slope. Toyota are looking in to the problem and currently have my car.

There have been cases like this with other manufacturers......(Citroen with the Xantia and some Volvos)

The problem is usually caused by the handbrake being applied onto hot discs which as they cool down and contract, they allow the pads to move away from the discs and the parking brake efficiency goes. (I am not sure if the Auris uses this system for its parking brake)

A good tip is to park "in gear" on anything but the slightest slope.

That is a bit worrying........................Hope you get it sorted..........keep us updated :thumbsup:

As Red Yaris said, ALWAYS park your car up in gear. Hope you get the problem sorted, lucky you didnt end up with a bent Auris!!

• 2 months later...

Hi, i am a toyota technician i also have a relative who has had the same problem as you.

After looking into the problem and speaking with toyota technical.

We found out two problems with the handbrake.

1) They have changed the handbrake mechanism for the auris which provides less clamping force.

By this i mean the handbrake is applied directly to the disc rather than through the usual drum/shoe fashion.

2) Toyota released a technical bulletin to staff saying that some customers would find it more difficult to apply the

handbrake than others. This is due to people who have their seats further formard cannot pull the handbrake up as high

due to the angle you have to operate it.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

[i have had my Auris T Spirt for just 8 days and exactly the same has just happened. My car was parked on my drive which has a slight incline, I too heard the car hooting only to find it on the opposite side of the road on my neighbours drive. It hit their car, but by good fortune it only encountered a minor scrath. I too had put my handbrake on and had been in the house for 10 minutes before it happened. I am booking it in straight away to be looked at.

Nightmare!!

I have had my Auris for around 8 months now and have not had any problems with my handbrake that i am aware of, but i dont park my car on an incline.

Hope they sort it for you guys, keep us informed.

Mark

• 1 month later...

This happened to me the other day.

I was parked at the shop, on a slight incline. I was 10 mins in the shop when a woman ran in saying there was a car reversing itself onto the road. It was moving very slowly. Luckily, I caught it before anyone ran into it. The handbrake was on fully.

Very frightening

I find myself rolling back on hills. I think not pressing the button is correct way to engage the handbrake but I require more than 5 clicks or the car just rolls back!

The new Honda civics have the same problem

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7312427.stm

I was always taught to press the button to engage the handbrake as it saves wear on the mechanism. I guess leaving it in gear is the safest solution.

Was there something similar on Watchdog a while bag with pug's

The issue seems to be common for other car manufacturers as well: Pugs, Vauxhalls (I saw a picture of Vectra parked in lake), Hondas etc.

Funny but I was taught to engage the handbrake without pressing the button- button is only for release ;)

The new Honda civics have the same problem

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7312427.stm

I was always taught to press the button to engage the handbrake as it saves wear on the mechanism. I guess leaving it in gear is the safest solution.

Was there something similar on Watchdog a while bag with pug's

The issue seems to be common for other car manufacturers as well: Pugs, Vauxhalls (I saw a picture of Vectra parked in lake), Hondas etc.

Funny but I was taught to engage the handbrake without pressing the button- button is only for release ;)

Hi,

I was taught to pull up the handbrake without pressing the button too. I always park in gear too. Im sure I have read in my auris handbook that when parked it should be left in gear, and that you should ensure the gear is displayed on the dash readout ( ive got a multimode).

Also Im sure my mr2 handbook said to pull up the handbrake until the ratchet has clicked 5 times.

Makes sense for everyone to park in gear, otherwise the consequences will probably be very expensive!

Si

• 2 weeks later...

When my car rolled of the drive, they took it off me for about two months, I had to wait for the only bloke in the UK to come and look at it, they changed the brake pads and as a good will gesture they gave me an ipod integration kit and a colour coded rear spoiler. Plus they gave me a prius as a courtesy car.

When I got it back it was fine; however I am now experiencing squeaky brakes. It went in for a service on Saturday and when I booked it in on my sheet their was a red RECALL stamp, they have recalled the brakes and I am now waiting for my third set to be delivered should be on Friday.

Hopefully this will sort it all out! Finally! I am mad however that I did not receive a letter telling me the brakes had been recalled from Toyota and I only found out as I complained they were squeaking. Watch out for this guys!

Is this a general recall affecting all Auris vehicles - if so, I am not aware of it

If there is a recall owners will be informed, you can check on VOSA's website for recall info.

These handbrake issues are bizarre, (I work for Honda) it states in the Handbook that the handbrake should be applied without depressing the button, however not many people read handbooks! It also says leave your car in gear to be safe and point the wheels at the kerb if required (Where possible), again not many people read this sort of stuff. If we didn't live in such a Health & Safety/Sue everyone world i doubt these issues would arise.

When you apply the handbrake with the button depressed it can cause the ratchet to be stuck between 2 clicks, then when you have left the car it slips back a click releasing the handbrake enough for your car to slowly roll away!

One other point though, not using the button on the handbrake wears out a part in the mechanism, when its gone it will cost about £75 to replace. Nobody tells you this.

Pull the handbrake on fully and leave it in gear :)

So what you are saying is that the handbrake has been designed to wear out after a number of applications - that's like saying the strap on your rucksack will fall off after you have travelled 200 miles with it on your back. But carry it like a handbag it should be OK - :o

money for old rope if you ask me

When my car rolled of the drive, they took it off me for about two months, I had to wait for the only bloke in the UK to come and look at it, they changed the brake pads and as a good will gesture they gave me an ipod integration kit and a colour coded rear spoiler. Plus they gave me a prius as a courtesy car.

When I got it back it was fine; however I am now experiencing squeaky brakes. It went in for a service on Saturday and when I booked it in on my sheet their was a red RECALL stamp, they have recalled the brakes and I am now waiting for my third set to be delivered should be on Friday.

Hopefully this will sort it all out! Finally! I am mad however that I did not receive a letter telling me the brakes had been recalled from Toyota and I only found out as I complained they were squeaking. Watch out for this guys!

amyno - can you reply / clarify this??? re - is this a general recall affecting all Auris vehicles - if so, I am not aware of it

I'm not sure if it affects all auris's, I only found out from my dealers, when it went in for a service. I do know that they are on back order as so many people are requesting them. You could always contact your dealer to be safe. Sorry I can't be more help!

In regards to the handbrake it is applied directly to the discs, with usage they get hot and expand so when I parked my car on the drive, the brakes cooled down and contracted and thus the car rolled of the drive.

One other point though, not using the button on the handbrake wears out a part in the mechanism, when its gone it will cost about £75 to replace. Nobody tells you this.

I was driving my old VW for over 10 years. Never have used the handbrake button and have never replaced handbrake mechanism (or even cable). I thin if the mechanism is well made there is nothing to worry about.

So what you are saying is that the handbrake has been designed to wear out after a number of applications - that's like saying the strap on your rucksack will fall off after you have travelled 200 miles with it on your back. But carry it like a handbag it should be OK - :o

money for old rope if you ask me

Thats exactly what i am saying, nice analogy!

I was driving my old VW for over 10 years. Never have used the handbrake button and have never replaced handbrake mechanism (or even cable). I thin if the mechanism is well made there is nothing to worry about.

If memory serves there is ball (made of nylon i think) that gets worked when you dont press the button. This problem arose on police cars as they do so much stop start driving i.e in and out all day. It may not have affected your car as it depends on the amount of usage and the presumably the quality of the materials used.

If memory serves there is ball (made of nylon i think) that gets worked when you dont press the button. This problem arose on police cars as they do so much stop start driving i.e in and out all day. It may not have affected your car as it depends on the amount of usage and the presumably the quality of the materials used.

Been reading this one with interest. I have a 55 plate Corolla and have applied the same principle of handbrake use with my Corolla as I have with virtually all my previous cars i.e. I always depress the button to avoid the clicking sound. I' ve never had any handbrake issues with any car as a result. I confess to not understanding the technology of how the handbrake actually works but have always thought that avoiding the clicking noise must somehow avoid wear but this thread infers the opposite :huh: So more 'techie'views from the likes of Moonstone Mart et al would be interesting to hear (not trying to cast doubts on cabcurtains opinion by the way).

I should add that my current and last couple of cars have been automatics where I guess the 'wandering off' issue isn't really going to apply because the auto will be in Park when it is left.

Sorry if I am wandering a wee bit off thread topic but it is an interesting point that it would be helpful to have cleared up.

• 1 year later...

The manual (page 188 in my book) says:

1. Apply the handbrake by pulling up the lever and depressing the brake pedal.

2. Release the handbrake by pulling up the lever, pressing the release button and lowering the lever.

Since the brake has a ratchet mechanism it's not necessary to push the lever in - this is why they call it a release button.

It's better to press it in as the lever is lifted and reduce the wear on the mechanism. After a while you know where the lever pulls up to and can get one final click to lock it in a set position rather than between clicks - maximum efficiency and minimum wear. It's the same with the steering lock - I wouldn't engage it because it then has to be released and anyone moving the wheel without the key will engage it anyway.

The important thing is to press down on the brake pedal whilst the engine is still running - this applies the maximum force to the disk which gives maximum grip and removes any water between the pad and disk which helps to prevent the two sticking together. The handbrake will pull up more easily if the work is done for you by the master brake cylinder and the car is more easily controlled if it's on an incline. With a diesel turbo it's best to let the engine run to cool the turbo.

I always leave the gearbox in 1st gear which prevents the car from moving in the event of the handbrake slipping - when restarting the engine the clutch has to be depressed so there is no opportunity for the car to move forwards. I always use both the brake lever and the gearbox to control the car - although it's unlikely for either to fail it can happen - a child can knock the gear lever into neutral or worse still let off the handbrake.

I don't position the wheels towards the curbs because it's too easy to forget where the wheels were set to and drive into the curb and scuff the alloys. It's also not a good idea to turn the steering wheel with the car stationary as it scrubs the tyres and places more stress on the electric power steering motor, ball joints and linkages.

The only time I wouldn't apply the handbrake would be if I was parking up for an extended period e.g. going on holiday - it can sometimes be a problem releasing the disk/pads. I would try to park somewhere level and rely on leaving the gearbox in 1st gear for the longer period.

Kind regards

Aur1s

Iv never personally experienced this problem but my mum has. I think its difficult for women to pull it all the way up! I notice when i get tin the car after shes driven it that as soon as i put it in neutral the car moves back. My drive is on a slope and we have to keep it in gear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links