Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cannecting A St205 Exhaust From Cat Back

rcww

Hi all,

I need to replace my flexi part of the exhaust and since I am at it I deciding to replace the whole system from the cat back.

I am thinking of getting a Aussie Midpipe connecting to a Blitz Nur spec. What I not sure of is do I need to replace the cat with a 3" down pipe so that I can fit the Aussie Midpipe which is 3"

Please advise.

Thanks

Rcww

ST205 95' Storm Blue

The Aussie --> NUR Spec will mate upto the Toyota CAT with no probs. Would recommend a decat too tho :yahoo: but that could then cause boost creep issues...

The Aussie --> NUR Spec will mate upto the Toyota CAT with no probs. Would recommend a decat too tho :yahoo: but that could then cause boost creep issues...

Hi Jones~32

Thanks for your reply, would like to decat it but too much hassle when it comes to Mot plus as u mention boost creep. I see you have a sports cat, does this make much difference? I presume it replaces the Standard Toyota Cat, which sport cat do you have and how much.

From the Blitz website they say the Nur-spec come with a removable rear baffle section, which is easily removed and replaced by just removing a single 10mm bolt. Do you know how does that work?

Cheers

I had a sports cat :lol: its gone now, it was welded into the exhaust after the downpipe as I had a custom exhaust made. I now have a NUR Spec. The removable baffle slides inside the tailpipe of the exhaust and is bolted by a 10mm bolt as you stated.

Apparantly it makes the exhaust as quiet as standard if not quieter, but I haven't tried it with the baffle in :D :lol:

So what do you do when it comes to get the mot? What is your exhaust system set up?

How would one get around the boost creep?

Sorry for so many questions

If you look on Fensport, Aussie do a front-pipe with a sports cat built into it (http://www.fensport.co.uk/partsfiles/st205exhaust.htm - 3rd product down), so you can get a 3" Downpipe/Decat (This makes a lot of difference to the torque I found), then if get the aussie sports cat/front-pipe, this should all mate up nicely to your Nur Spec.

I "believe" that if you have a mid-pipe with sports cat, this will reduce the chance of boost creep, although not everyone suffers with this anway. The only way to truley stop the boost creep with a 3" straight through if you get it, is to put a restriction in the system somewhere (kinda defeats the point), or get a different turbo IIRC.

There has been a lot of debate about MOT on the GT4OC, if your car is a 1994, there is a chance you don't need to have a cat (dending on your chassis number, something to do with the car being built before a certain month in 1994), you can get through with a non-cat test, but this really depends on which MOT'er you speak to as well... or you could just swap the cat over come MOT time.

Noise level with the baffle in is alot quiter than without it but not at stock levels...

Regarding the CAT for MOT. Legally you don't have to have a CAT you just need to pass the CAT emissions test.

Noise level with the baffle in is alot quiter than without it but not at stock levels...

Regarding the CAT for MOT. Legally you don't have to have a CAT you just need to pass the CAT emissions test.

Has anyone passed the Cat emission test without the cat?

For now I think I will just concentrate from the CAT back so Aussie Mid pipe with blitz Nur Spec.

Anyone tried fitting this configuration themselves or is it best to leaving to the mechanics?

I noticed from Fensports that the midpipe comes in two pips , that is the second pipe for? Also I know that the Aussie comes in two favours Stainless Steel with HPC coating or Mild steel, which one is better?

Cheers

ST205 95' Storm Blue

Has anyone passed the Cat emission test without the cat?

For now I think I will just concentrate from the CAT back so Aussie Mid pipe with blitz Nur Spec.

Anyone tried fitting this configuration themselves or is it best to leaving to the mechanics?

I noticed from Fensports that the midpipe comes in two pips , that is the second pipe for? Also I know that the Aussie comes in two favours Stainless Steel with HPC coating or Mild steel, which one is better?

Cheers

ST205 95' Storm Blue

There are a couple of guys on the GT4OC that managed to pass without a cat but it's close...

Personally If your going for the expense of a Blitz + Aussie midpipe setup I'd go for the one with the Cat in it and get a downpipe aswell. In fact that's exactly what I did :rolleyes: If your worried about creep you can either suck it and see like everyone else or go for a 2.5" downpipe like the HS&R one instead.

The aussie mid pipe comes in 2 sections for ease of fitting so you don't have to drop the subframe out to get it on... You'll need to cut the old flexi section in half to get it out.

Regarding the styles I beleive it's the Mild Steel one that comes with the HPC coating not the Stainless one...

There are a couple of guys on the GT4OC that managed to pass without a cat but it's close...

Personally If your going for the expense of a Blitz + Aussie midpipe setup I'd go for the one with the Cat in it and get a downpipe aswell. In fact that's exactly what I did :rolleyes: If your worried about creep you can either suck it and see like everyone else or go for a 2.5" downpipe like the HS&R one instead.

The aussie mid pipe comes in 2 sections for ease of fitting so you don't have to drop the subframe out to get it on... You'll need to cut the old flexi section in half to get it out.

Regarding the styles I beleive it's the Mild Steel one that comes with the HPC coating not the Stainless one...

Thanks for your reply, as for boost creep I only read about it but not experience it, so in real life what would happen to the car to show it has boost creep, ie does the the exhaust rattle or doe it cough and splatter like an old man out of breath :blink: LoL. Does it affect performance?

I would lke to go down the route DP + mid pipe + blitz but i doubt if my finance director will authorise it :unsure: I only mange to sneak the Blitz in :rolleyes:

So the option I can play with is either DP + Mid pipe with cat or mid pipe with Blitz.

What kind of power and torque output do u have on you GT4 setup? Did you install your exhaust system yourself? I am pondering if I should install it myself to save money or let some else to do it to save time and hassle :D.

cheers

ray

ST205 95' Storm Blue

Hanworth

Thanks for your reply, as for boost creep I only read about it but not experience it, so in real life what would happen to the car to show it has boost creep, ie does the the exhaust rattle or doe it cough and splatter like an old man out of breath :blink: LoL. Does it affect performance?

I would lke to go down the route DP + mid pipe + blitz but i doubt if my finance director will authorise it :unsure: I only mange to sneak the Blitz in :rolleyes:

So the option I can play with is either DP + Mid pipe with cat or mid pipe with Blitz.

What kind of power and torque output do u have on you GT4 setup? Did you install your exhaust system yourself? I am pondering if I should install it myself to save money or let some else to do it to save time and hassle :D.

cheers

ray

ST205 95' Storm Blue

Hanworth

Boost creap is when the wastegate is unable to sustain a constant boost level, i.e. you set you ebc to 1.1 bar and the boost rises to this but then keep rising above this and doesn't come back down. Depending on the amount experienced this might be you set 0.9 and end up with a steady 1.2 or you set 0.9 and just keep hitting boost cut...

If you've gotta go with one or other I'd say make friends with an MOT tester to get you throught the mot and go for the Blitz and DP then keep the stock flexi, then later on once you have the coins get the mid pipe.

Regarding fitting it can all be done DIY with verying amounts of knuckle grazzing :crybaby: The Blitz is resonable easy, gets easier the higher you can get the car off the ground as you have to get the rear part over the rear axle.

The hardest bit is getting the old midpipe flexi section off if your not dropping the subframe you have to cut it. Wasn't to bad for me on account of having access to my neibourghs garage and lifts, however it will require an angle grinder or similarily vicious tool to cut it in half :censor:

Regarding power, I'm currently still running stock boost but going by my bum dyno and the having the experience of my old 271BHP gt4 to compair it against I'd go with it being about 280-290BHP with a considerable increase in the bottem end torque. :thumbsup:

Boost creap is when the wastegate is unable to sustain a constant boost level, i.e. you set you ebc to 1.1 bar and the boost rises to this but then keep rising above this and doesn't come back down. Depending on the amount experienced this might be you set 0.9 and end up with a steady 1.2 or you set 0.9 and just keep hitting boost cut...

If you've gotta go with one or other I'd say make friends with an MOT tester to get you throught the mot and go for the Blitz and DP then keep the stock flexi, then later on once you have the coins get the mid pipe.

Regarding fitting it can all be done DIY with verying amounts of knuckle grazzing :crybaby: The Blitz is resonable easy, gets easier the higher you can get the car off the ground as you have to get the rear part over the rear axle.

The hardest bit is getting the old midpipe flexi section off if your not dropping the subframe you have to cut it. Wasn't to bad for me on account of having access to my neibourghs garage and lifts, however it will require an angle grinder or similarily vicious tool to cut it in half :censor:

Regarding power, I'm currently still running stock boost but going by my bum dyno and the having the experience of my old 271BHP gt4 to compair it against I'd go with it being about 280-290BHP with a considerable increase in the bottem end torque. :thumbsup:

I am having to start in the middle of the car as the flexi part is the part that requires replacing so it either replacing. Will be ordering the Aussie Mid pipe soon, still hunting for a good price on a Blitz Nur Spec R.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links