Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daytime Running Lights

PopDorset

Hi all!

New to the Forum and new to Aygo!!!..mine is being delivered next week! :drool: This is a very useful forum and seems very friendly.

I liked the thread on the Rev Counter started by Unklian..this MUST be done!!! :thumbsup:

Now then, I have done a quick "Search" for anything on Daytime Running Lights. I am assuming that there is a facility to enable them (ie headlights on at all times) a la Volvo and most of the rest of Europe. As Aygo/C1/107 is a European venture it seems reasonable to expect that somewhere, buried in the guts of the car, there is a connection waiting to be made, and a person on this forum who knows how to do it??????

:unsure:

PopDorset

I'm quite sure there's a "dim-dipped" installation possible, as I found some hints to that

in the electrical schematics, but I'm not sure on which market this is done and how exactly.

As for the "most of Europe": those usually DO NOT have DRL's as there is no legislation (yet) on that.

Some Audi's however can be fitted with integrated DRL's in the headlights, but it is optional so far...

It's on the left hand stalk. Move it one click and the running lights come on, two and full headlights. Ingenious.

Move it one click and the running lights come on

Those are the "position ligts or parkinglights. Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)

are much brighter, ususally between 15 and 21 W and are only run up front.

They light only with the engine running and NO other lights on. They

are supposed to increase your visibility by day, with less current consumption

and wear on the filaments than you'd have with your main lights allways on.

Since they're up front some cars use the head lamps for this, but with the filaments

only running at 40 to 50% of normal output, this is often referred to as "Dimmed Dip".

There are aftermarket systems that can do this (I had one on my Nissan 100NX),

but on the city triplets most of those systems are useless since the dipped and high

beams are switched on the NEGATIVE side instead of positive like 95% of modern cars...

Why not change the side lights for a set of Blue Vision or Osram bulbs which give anything from 35 - 80 % more light ? :hokus-pokus:

Replacing the sidelights with brighter bulbs sounds a good idea... I've been using main beam lights all the time.

Using headlights at daytime has demonstrated 3-12% reduction in accidents. (Elvik R. A meta-analysis of studies concerning the safety effects of daytime running lights on cars. Accident Analysis and Prevention 1996;28:685-94).

raistlin (or anyone else) - do you have any links to specific bulbs you'd suggest as good replacements?

Jonathan.

In the very back of the Aygo owner's manual it makes reference to Daytime Running Lights under the Fuses section.

So it must be do-able.

Replacing the sidelights with brighter bulbs sounds a good idea... I've been using main beam lights all the time.

Using headlights at daytime has demonstrated 3-12% reduction in accidents. (Elvik R. A meta-analysis of studies concerning the safety effects of daytime running lights on cars. Accident Analysis and Prevention 1996;28:685-94).

raistlin (or anyone else) - do you have any links to specific bulbs you'd suggest as good replacements?

Jonathan.

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp?home.asp :thumbsup:

Philips W5W bulbs

High colour temperature of light (3300 K)

xenon gas filling

Coated with a high temperature resistant varnish

Cooler and bluer light

Thanks raistlin - I've just ordered some (rather had them thrown in free with an order of some Philips X-treme Power main headlight bulbs).

I'm hoping those sidelight bulbs will be bright enough to be visible in daylight.

Thanks raistlin - I've just ordered some (rather had them thrown in free with an order of some Philips X-treme Power main headlight bulbs).

I'm hoping those sidelight bulbs will be bright enough to be visible in daylight.

jdavtz

I also use the same bulb in my interior light and it really makes a huge difference, I can actually see what I''m looking for :eek:

Well I've fitted the Philips Blue Vision sidelight bulbs, and while they are brighter than the factory-fitted ones (and a whiter colour), they aren't anywhere near bright enough to really improve the car's visibility to other road users.

I'm wondering if some of the higher-quality LED bulbs might be more effective? 2-3W of LED power should be brighter than 5W xenon, shouldn't it?

2-3W of LED power should be brighter than 5W xenon, shouldn't it?

Depend on the angle at which you look at them.

LEDs have quite a narrow bbeam of light, especially the

bright ones. bulbs with a filament illuminate all around.

The sidelights depend on the outward illumination and the mirrored inside of

the headlight to distribute the light in all directions. Replace them with LEDs

and all you get is a brichht whit/blueish dot in the headlamp, nothing more...

Thanks for the responses so far, to my post. The replies indicate that there is a good deal of mixed feeling about them, and is entirely in line with a similar post I made on the Galaxy Forum. There, however, and for that vehicle, (ie Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra...another joint project, incidentally) there was existing provision for DRL to be installed via a connection already present behind the light switch. It just isn't yet a requirement in the UK.

Is there such a connection on the Aygo?

The solution for the Sharan was easy...mentioning no names because I have no connection with the company, I found, on the internet, a small family company in Sweden who produce the necessary electronics to complete the provision. I ordered, and it was very quick and easy to install.

These days, it seems there are several solutions to DRL:

1) Automatic headlight illumination...period.

2) Automatic headlight illumination- slightly dimmed by about 20% (in 1987 the British Government introduced what became known as the Dim-Dip experiment...but the requirement was removed in 1988. Dim-Dipping headlights were introduced to try to get drivers to stop driving around after dark with just parking lights on...they were NOT automatic lights)

3) Purpose fitted or aftermarket DRLs (several makers do them, eg Hella)

I just want the simplest, safest and easiest solution possible to increase the safety of me and my family.

Your thoughts?

By the way, thanks "jdavtz". I have now taken delivery of my car, have read the handbook, and I see what you mean about the fuse labelled DRL.

• 4 weeks later...

Jonathan.

Not as cut and dry as that though... in bright sunlight, dytime lights create the undesired effect of making you seem further away and therefore, more likely that someone will pull out in front of you!! :wacko:

This is a well decumented and discussed phemomenom in the motorcycle world.

Not as cut and dry as that though... in bright sunlight, dytime lights create the undesired effect of making you seem further away and therefore, more likely that someone will pull out in front of you!! :wacko:

This is a well decumented and discussed phemomenom in the motorcycle world.

I remember 46 years ago driving across Sweden and getting irritated by the "burks" driving around in daylight with headlights burning.

The irritation stopped abruptly after about two hours when I realized that my subconsious was registering approaching traffic long before I was, the result being that overtaking became much safer and my overall view of the traffic pattern was far better.

As for motor cyclists, they seem to be invisible to the majority of car drivers, at least the ones that have never driven a 'bike. Just look the next time you are driving in traffic and an MC is unexperienced enough to place himself closer to the near-side of the traffic lane. I guarantee that a motorist will overtake although he isn't going anywhere.

OF

• 2 weeks later...
Good find peugeot107.... now the question is, would these fit to an Aygo? (And how/where?)

Well on the 107 you can get parts to fit fog lamps to the front bumper, think Toyota also did something for the AYGO Sport, maybe they do an LED kit the same size as these foglamps? Well it's a thought, good luck,

Nicholas

• 9 months later...

Jan, I should have bought those Cibie ones when I had the chance...the site doesn't exist any more. Hella has just brought out a line of LEDs called "LEDayLine" daytime running light.

Quote from LEDGB.com

"LEDayLine has a similar design to the standard light Hella uses for original equipment, and thus it fulfils maximum professional demands. The bright white light of the high-power LEDs ensures a highly recognizable vehicle in daylight and gives it a striking front-end design that can also be retained at night. The LEDayLine is also available in a 24 V version.

According to EU Commission plans, DRLs are to be made compulsory for all newly registered vehicles starting in the summer of 2010. Driving with lights on during the day improves safety and goes easy on the environment. This was confirmed by a study undertaken by the Federal Institute for German Roadways (BASt) in August 2005. According to BASt, daytime running lights specifically developed for the purpose are the most suitable. The additional consumption of fuel (maximum 0.02 liters) caused by LED lamps is hardly measurable."

Did you get the bit about 2010????

Where can I buy these lights? A webtrawl brings up little....yet

hi would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the Philips X-treme Power bulbs as i am also looking to buy these and wondered what they look like.

thanks

Sivi :thumbsup: