Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Steering Pull

Taylor6971

I've had no such problems with my T180. I can take my hands off the wheel and it goes dead straight (allowing for cambers). Sounds like a load of :censor: to me!

Not sure what you mean. I don't suspect for one minute that all these unfortunate club colleagues are conspiring to pull our leg about this problem...........

or maybe I misunderstand and you are talking about Toyota?

Yep, sorry...should have been a little clearer there. I was referring to the many bizarre explanations from Toyota....especially the "Oh, they all do that" classic.

I've had no such problems with my T180. I can take my hands off the wheel and it goes dead straight (allowing for cambers). Sounds like a load of :censor: to me!

Not sure what you mean. I don't suspect for one minute that all these unfortunate club colleagues are conspiring to pull our leg about this problem...........

or maybe I misunderstand and you are talking about Toyota?

Yep, sorry...should have been a little clearer there. I was referring to the many bizarre explanations from Toyota....especially the "Oh, they all do that" classic.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I have a RAV D4D VX from 2004 and from the beginning I also had the problem that my car was pulling to the right. Well it was like saying white to black. I said white and my dealer said black.

I had to prove it that my car pulled to one side. I had to visit the VAB here in Belgium. There they saw on their machine that the 2 front wheels and the left rear wheel where not aligned.

Even with this proof it was difficult to convince Toyota and my dealer that it was not good.

Than I made the mistake by going to a tire centre to get my wheels aligned. They confirmed what the VAB had seen and aligned my wheels. It was much better but still I could not leave the steering wheel loose because soon I was over the right white line of the road.

Today, after 60.000 km my car still pulls.

What I also noticed is that when I drive and I steer a little to the left my steering wheel returns quickly but when I steer a little to the right the steering wheel returns somewhat slower.

When I drive a straight line and I let go of the steering wheel it turns a little to the right. Just a few mm.

Then the car starts a slow turn but after 50 meters the turn gets stronger until I take the car back on track. Than I already rode from the 3rd lane to the 1st on the motorway.

I am well aware that not all roads are flat. They have to evacuate rain water when it rains.

I have the experience to have driven several different cars and I have never had this problem.

Last week I was with my car at my dealers (not the one whom I bought the car from) and I told him about the problem. They changed the position of the wheels and told me that the felt the car pulling on the test drive. They advised me to wait until first tire change and then with the proper alignment all will be solved.

I should change them right know if it would be so. But…

I don’t believe it.

I even think to change my car with the Ford Kuga that comes out next year. But this would be spending a lot of € .

Today I went to my dealer to have my RAV's alignement checked. This is the first time that this dealer checkes it.

It seemed like the left front wheel was out the range. The repair man had to do some heavy repairing to get it correct. Not the repair discribed here under.

After 3 years en 60000km my car finally drives straight. I can feel the car steers more relaxed. :D

For those who are interested:

I saw a letter from toyota that states that some RAV's have a problem pulling to the right and they do not know the cause. The solutions is to mount 4 special bolts and correct the alignement to certain degrees.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Ravers

I thought that I would write and let you know the final outcome of this saga.

I stuck to my guns and after:

10 attempts at repair,

car taken to Toyota technical centre,

4 comparison drives (read hard sell about characteristics),

9 Emails,

42 Phone Calls

4 rejection letters (two endorsed by Trading Standards),

Toyota agreed to replace my T180. :D

My new one was picked up on Friday 12th October and I couldn't be happier. I was asked to take it for a test run before committing and within 1 mile I could see that there was no comparison to the old one. I have now got one missing the "characteristic" I have been assured they all have.

Thanks for all your support. I will post the photo's when I get home in 10 days.

Richard

( I do wonder what is to be of the old one?) :unsure:

Hi,

Glad your problems have finaly been sorted out. I am not far from Norwich and am glad to hear that the service manager there is helpful as I too bought my rav from a Toyota dealer out of this area.

Bet some poor person will end up with your old 180 at a bargain price!

Nige

Well done Richard :thumbsup:

Stuck to your guns and you got a well deserved result :yahoo:

Look forward to seeing the photos for your new pride and joy :D

Unfortunately all to soon we will probably be reading about a poor owner of a second hand T180 that is pulling! :(

But that's not your problem now, Well Done :toast:

Dear Ravers

I thought that I would write and let you know the final outcome of this saga.

I stuck to my guns and after:

10 attempts at repair,

car taken to Toyota technical centre,

4 comparison drives (read hard sell about characteristics),

9 Emails,

42 Phone Calls

4 rejection letters (two endorsed by Trading Standards),

Toyota agreed to replace my T180. :D

My new one was picked up on Friday 12th October and I couldn't be happier. I was asked to take it for a test run before committing and within 1 mile I could see that there was no comparison to the old one. I have now got one missing the "characteristic" I have been assured they all have.

Thanks for all your support. I will post the photo's when I get home in 10 days.

Richard

( I do wonder what is to be of the old one?) :unsure:

Just goes to show that persistance and sticking to your guns pays off :thumbsup:

Just a shame that you had to put up with "lemon" from the get go.

At least you can now fully enjoy your T180 experience !! B)

That's funny, my 180 has been at the technical centre for the last two months for a fault identified by a Toyota engineer who visited my dealer, but because after changing lots of parts they can't find what is causing the fault they have changed their mind, it's now not a fault but is a characteristic of the vehicle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links