Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yet Another Flywheel.........

PinheadSK

Here we go again (or rather, here we don't go again!)...........

I own a Rav4 D4D Granite on an '05 plate (now 2 years and 1 month old) that has covered 22,700 miles from new (none off-road). I have owned the vehicle since new and it has been dealer serviced (Inchcape Toyota of Kidlington, Oxford).

Having read these forums, and I wish I'd read them before, I have experienced some of the symptons that other owners have had prior to the failure of my flywheel. I didn't get any screaching noise or notice any excessive vibration leading up to the event but I did get the rattling noise when pulling away or in certain geas at lower speeds. When the flywheel actually went, I got no noise, bangs, clunks or anything - I just lost drive and the engine revved as if the car had slipped out of gear. The odd thing was that the car would still move forward under it's own power but only at tick-over speed. Any more revs than that and it simply revved up as if in nuetral. Needless to say, I pulled over immediately I realised that it hadn't simply slipped out of gear and had the AA recover the vehicle to my Toyota dealer.

The car has now been with Inchcape in Kidlington for 8 days and is still not fixed. They have also said it may or may not be covered under warranty. They tell me that if I have been riding my cutch then the warranty would immediately be invalid in any case. How the hell would they know whether I ride the clutch or not??? All they have is my word that I don't, the fact that I rest my foot beside the clutch and have actually worn a hole in the footwell carpet at this point and that I am a professionally qualified driver holding a Class 1 Heavy Goods licence. Further more, having been without my vehicle for over a week, I have yet to be offered a courtesy car!!!! :angry:

Anyway, just wanted to vent a little and to let everyone know that they don't seem to have sorted the flywheel problem on the slightly newer models.

I'll post again with any news or the results of the final outcome. Does anyone think that a flywheel failure on a 2 year old car with 22,700 miles on the clock is a new record!? :crybaby:

Regards,

Sean

Sean,

Sorry to hear of your problem - even sorrier to hear it may be affecting later models. Is yours the 2.0 or 2.2 D-4D?

Steve

It is a 2.0D4D - I nearly bought a granite just before I bought mine. I think we just have to sit with our fingers crossed to see what happens with ours.

Sean

I suppose they will measure the wear on the clutch facings and make a calculation against the mileage to see if they think you have been riding the clutch. This in my opinion is an example of Toyota not "playing ball". Even if they can find some evidence of heat and excessive wear (the two go hand in hand), they ought only reject the warranty on the clutch but not the flywheel. It is not generally regarded as a wearing item, it is an achilles heel weak spot and they know it. The problem is that it is in itself very expensive and there is a lot of labour so it makes economic sense to unload as much as possible onto the owner. Its mean and unfair. How far would they take it? If for instance you had crankshaft failure would they say that was riding the clutch? It is a complete crock of you know what.

I have to say that if it were mine I would obviously try to get Toyota to sort it but if they insisted on lumping me with the bill I would buy the flywheel and take it to a local garage and let them fit it at a reasonable hourly rate. I can be as spiteful as they can.

I don't think they are obliged to lend you a car but if you talk politely to the dealer manager he may sort something out for you.

Good luck

Thanks for the good wishes.......... here's an update!

The car was rebuilt last Friday but wasn't running right so Inchcape took it apart again and replaced more bits! I got it back yesterday. I haven't had the paperwork that details the exact work carried out but as soon as I get it, I'll update you all.

The car is now running very well. Acceleration is back, engine noise is much less (it no longer sounds like a tractor!), steering feels much lighter. In fact, it's running like a new car!

And now for the good bit....

ALL THE WORK WAS COMPLETED UNDER WARRANTY WITH NO HASSLE !!

I'll update evberyone as soon as I get any more news.

Sean

Well done Toyota/Inchcape. That is very encouraging to hear.

Glad to hear that Toyota have finally lived up to our expectations and done the right thing by you, Sean. I wonder - does it signal a change in Toyota's stance on the matter, or does it set a precedent, and will others who experience flywheel failure also get it fixed under warranty? Will those who have already had theirs repaired try to claim back their money after the event - will they succeed?

It will be very interesting to hear the rest of your tale in due course.

Here we go again (or rather, here we don't go again!)...........

I own a Rav4 D4D Granite on an '05 plate (now 2 years and 1 month old) that has covered 22,700 miles from new (none off-road). I have owned the vehicle since new and it has been dealer serviced (Inchcape Toyota of Kidlington, Oxford).

Having read these forums, and I wish I'd read them before, I have experienced some of the symptons that other owners have had prior to the failure of my flywheel. I didn't get any screaching noise or notice any excessive vibration leading up to the event but I did get the rattling noise when pulling away or in certain geas at lower speeds. When the flywheel actually went, I got no noise, bangs, clunks or anything - I just lost drive and the engine revved as if the car had slipped out of gear. The odd thing was that the car would still move forward under it's own power but only at tick-over speed. Any more revs than that and it simply revved up as if in nuetral. Needless to say, I pulled over immediately I realised that it hadn't simply slipped out of gear and had the AA recover the vehicle to my Toyota dealer.

The car has now been with Inchcape in Kidlington for 8 days and is still not fixed. They have also said it may or may not be covered under warranty. They tell me that if I have been riding my cutch then the warranty would immediately be invalid in any case. How the hell would they know whether I ride the clutch or not??? All they have is my word that I don't, the fact that I rest my foot beside the clutch and have actually worn a hole in the footwell carpet at this point and that I am a professionally qualified driver holding a Class 1 Heavy Goods licence. Further more, having been without my vehicle for over a week, I have yet to be offered a courtesy car!!!! :angry:

Anyway, just wanted to vent a little and to let everyone know that they don't seem to have sorted the flywheel problem on the slightly newer models.

I'll post again with any news or the results of the final outcome. Does anyone think that a flywheel failure on a 2 year old car with 22,700 miles on the clock is a new record!? :crybaby:

Regards,

Sean

Sean,

If yours was a record at 22700 miles then I am not far behind you. My 4.2 June 2005 D4D has just had the Clutch & DMF changed under Warranty at 23375. Mine did not fail but was showing the signs - judder/vibration which you could feel through the pedal when starting off on a slight incline plus the rattle at low speeds and a general lack of smoothness. :crybaby:

I have to say the service I received from my local dealer was absolutely first class from start to finish. When I went to them last week a technician drove the car and agreed there was a fault and within 24 hours I received a phone call to say the replacement under Warranty of the Clutch Assembly & DMF had been pre-authorised by Toyota and could they book the car in. Without any asking or prompting they offered to pick the RAV up from my home and leave me a courtesy car for the duration of the work which they said would be no longer than 2 days - and it wasn't. Got it back today and what a difference - quieter, smoother and 'Judder & Rattle' free. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

One thing I did learn, is that if the car is still under Manufacturers Warranty and has covered less than 20000 miles the decision to replace or not is down to the dealer whereas over 20000 they have to get pre-authorisation from Toyota.

Clive

One thing I did learn, is that if the car is still under Manufacturers Warranty and has covered less than 20000 miles the decision to replace or not is down to the dealer whereas over 20000 they have to get pre-authorisation from Toyota.

Clive

Well your experience is definitely nice to hear but 20000 miles in 3 years is way below average and I think having a no quibble warranty to that extent is derisory if not pathetic.

Regards

Clive

Well your experience is definitely nice to hear but 20000 miles in 3 years is way below average and I think having a no quibble warranty to that extent is derisory if not pathetic.

Regards

My XT4 goes in for its 20,000 mile service next month, two weeks before its first birthday - I don't think that "concession" is likely to be any use to me :blink:

Clive

Regards

Quite agree with you, a 3year / 20000 mile no quibble warranty is pathetic on a major component on a vehicle costing £20000 plus. I understand it is only recently that Toyota applied this restriction for whatever reason - financial I expect !!

I worked for a major friction manufacturer for many years involved with aftermarket sales and even on a re-manufactured clutch assembly there was a 2yr unlimited mileage warranty.

Regards.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links