Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Are Toyota Service Intervals So Short?

kenl

As the title, why do Toyota insist on services every 10k miles or once per year?

I know it could be argued that it is worthwhile but all manufacturers are recommending longer intervals. My old Golf was ~18k between services, my new R56 MINI is looking like ~20k mile intervals - both these cars have more powerful (high tech?) engines.

Any thoughts on this?

Toyota actually state that the 10K service is an "Intermediate Health Check" and that the actual service interval is 20K.

I suspect, however, that you could be in trouble warranty wise if you did not get the 10K "intermediate Health Check" done

I wouldn’t want the same oil and filter in my car for more than 10,000 miles.

I wouldn’t want the same oil and filter in my car for more than 10,000 miles.

That is why they change the oil and filter at the 10K "Intermediate Health Check"

As our cars are now more sophisticated and have higher tolerances, at the end of the day its still a machine.

Even if it’s just for a safety inspection I think it’s worth a service at a minimum of 12 months or 10,000 miles even though our cars can go longer.

Minor niggles may be picked up earlier preventing a bigger bill further down the line. They could probably go longer than 20k with no change in lubricants but is it worth it long term? I change my oil and filter every 5 to 6k :thumbsup:

"In the old days" you'd change your oil and filter every 3000mi, so I don't think 10k is "short"...

You also have to remember that modern cars are built with less and less margin for error, as this saves

in building costs. But to keep everything safe and within tolerance you need a little more maintenance...

And as Rad Yaris 54 states; If you miss your maintenance and something

DOES go wrong Toyota will probably NOT replace anything under warranty...

I always used to change the oil and filter in my old cars every 3000 miles.... it used to keep the engines clean and reliable, so I regard 10000 miles as generous.

I am tempted though to change mine at 6 months as I only tend to do 6000 miles a year and most of that is town driving.... oil really is cheap considering the protection it gives.

My car reaches 10K in about 9 months so gets its oil and filter changed at that period.

It uses a modern fully synthetic engine oil which is perfectly capable of 10K between changes.

I would advise against letting any Toyota engine do any more than 10K between oil and filter change.

I don't think 10k is too short really but wondered why Toyota were so out of step with other manufacturers.

It depends on the oil specification. Longer intervals are more to with this than other things. My Audi is showing 18,500 to first oil change service, but I have to use a specified fully synth oil at £15 a litre. The Aygo engine is small and is worked hard therefore lower mileages between oil changes are probably a good thing. Our smart had 9,000 mile service intervals due to the small enine and turbo combination.

Toyota are ment to be one of the most reliable manufactures in the world.. this might be why... are Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1 sevices the same as the Aygo?

Toyota are ment to be one of the most reliable manufactures in the world.. this might be why... are Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1 sevices the same as the Aygo?

They all share the same (Toyota) engine

They all share the same (Toyota) engine

True, but I seem to remember that Citroen, Peugeot and Toyota

specify different intervals and even different oilweights!

I'd have to search my documentation to be sure,

but first I'm off to bed :P

Can anyone confirm if the warranty is definately affected if the 10K health check has not eben done.

Im currently at 18K and 11 mnths, as i was sure it was every 20K miles per service.

I really should read my paperwork when i buy new stuff!!!!!

Can anyone confirm if the warranty is definately affected if the 10K health check has not eben done.

Im currently at 18K and 11 mnths, as i was sure it was every 20K miles per service.

The only people who can tell you this for sure is a dealer.

I would think they could only refuse warranty work on a fault that is directly related to you not changing the oil in the car.

Please post the outcome.

BTW, it is not a "health check", at 10k miles you get an "intermediate service". A health check is a report on items that are likely to wear out such as tyres, brakes etc. I got a health check report sheet handed to me along with my receipt for the service today.

The only people who can tell you this for sure is a dealer.

I would think they could only refuse warranty work on a fault that is directly related to you not changing the oil in the car.

Please post the outcome.

BTW, it is not a "health check", at 10k miles you get an "intermediate service". A health check is a report on items that are likely to wear out such as tyres, brakes etc. I got a health check report sheet handed to me along with my receipt for the service today.

Cheers Kenl

Ill be putting it in mid august, if i experience any probs ill let you all know,

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links