Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camry Overheating

welshandy

Hi

I have just bought a 1994 camry 3.0L V6 auto and it seems to have an overheating problem. The previous owner has had a new radiator,thermostat and pressure cap fitted and it seemed fine but admitted not to have taken it on a long journey. Driving home I have found it starts to overheat after approx 30-40 miles(it then requires refilling). I did find that the resivoir tank is going brittle and there is a small hole in the corner of it which when hot water is escaping from. Would this be enough to cause the overheat/loss of coolant or is there another cause.

thanks for any advice

Hi

I have just bought a 1994 camry 3.0L V6 auto and it seems to have an overheating problem. The previous owner has had a new radiator,thermostat and pressure cap fitted and it seemed fine but admitted not to have taken it on a long journey. Driving home I have found it starts to overheat after approx 30-40 miles(it then requires refilling). I did find that the resivoir tank is going brittle and there is a small hole in the corner of it which when hot water is escaping from. Would this be enough to cause the overheat/loss of coolant or is there another cause.

thanks for any advice

Hi, Sounds like the previous owner may have changed components which were thought mistakedly to be the cause of the problem. Myself and a friend both have Camry's, mine a 1984 his a 1983 model. Our radiators gave out at about 80,000 miles. We both had the Toyota Forlife special coolant in our cooling systems. This is used from new as a total protection fluid and must not be diluted.The normal or red type has a recommended life of if I remember rightly about 3 years. There are now other types of Forlife which will last longer and may have been supplied in the later Camry's.The trouble is quite often either due to the cost or neglect it doesn't get changed as per the recommended intervals. and turns brown. It is however an excellent product and would recommend it once you have sorted out your overheating problem.Indeed it seems likely that you have a serious leak somewhere to overheat on such short journeys. The obvious thing would be check that the hoses and the radiator drain plug are not leaking. Also get the car up to working temperature and make sure the electric fan is cutting in.Do this by allowing the car to idle for a while and the same time checking for leaks. However if all seems well the chances are like you say the loss of coolant is most likely from the reservoir.Maybe double check that the radiator pressure cap has some movement and is not faulty or seized shut.Also check that head gasket has not blown, tell tale signs of staining from anti freeze or oil on block or water droplets in the engine oil. Good luck Graham.

Hi, Sounds like the previous owner may have changed components which were thought mistakedly to be the cause of the problem. Myself and a friend both have Camry's, mine a 1984 his a 1983 model. Our radiators gave out at about 80,000 miles. We both had the Toyota Forlife special coolant in our cooling systems. This is used from new as a total protection fluid and must not be diluted.The normal or red type has a recommended life of if I remember rightly about 3 years. There are now other types of Forlife which will last longer and may have been supplied in the later Camry's.The trouble is quite often either due to the cost or neglect it doesn't get changed as per the recommended intervals. and turns brown. It is however an excellent product and would recommend it once you have sorted out your overheating problem.Indeed it seems likely that you have a serious leak somewhere to overheat on such short journeys. The obvious thing would be check that the hoses and the radiator drain plug are not leaking. Also get the car up to working temperature and make sure the electric fan is cutting in.Do this by allowing the car to idle for a while and the same time checking for leaks. However if all seems well the chances are like you say the loss of coolant is most likely from the reservoir.Maybe double check that the radiator pressure cap has some movement and is not faulty or seized shut.Also check that head gasket has not blown, tell tale signs of staining from anti freeze or oil on block or water droplets in the engine oil. Good luck Graham.

Hi Graham.

Thanks for the reply. It appears there is no antifreeze in it, just plain tap water as far as I can see. Looking on the other forums, others are mentioning water pump, do you think it could be that as its boiling away quite happily after about 30miles or is it just lack of antifreeze thats causing the problems.

Thanks

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post.Camry now been in local garage and had water pump and timing belt replaced,thermostat was tested, system refilled with coolant. took it for a 30+ mile run this morning.when got back found coolant coming from overflow pipe on resivoir tank (garage had filled this to max mark when cold). let it cool down.just been to check it resivoir tank now completely empty and had to top up system + tank to just over the min mark as quoted in manual. have checked oil,auto fluid for signs over water in them also all hoses etc for leaks and cannot see any. HELP!!!

Since my last post.Camry now been in local garage and had water pump and timing belt replaced,thermostat was tested, system refilled with coolant. took it for a 30+ mile run this morning.when got back found coolant coming from overflow pipe on resivoir tank (garage had filled this to max mark when cold). let it cool down.just been to check it resivoir tank now completely empty and had to top up system + tank to just over the min mark as quoted in manual. have checked oil,auto fluid for signs over water in them also all hoses etc for leaks and cannot see any. HELP!!!

Hi again, You didn't say whether you had fixed the hole in the reservoir tank and whether the electric cooling fan was working OK when warmed up? When you fill the cooling system you need to have the heater controls in the fully hot position.The lack of anti freeze will not cause it to overheat only encourage sludge to form which might block the radiator and increase the risk of freezing and subsequent blowing of the core plugs.By the way is there any sign of leaking from the core plugs or the cylinder head?Again I suggest you check the radiator cap as even new ones can prove faulty.Check that there is slight movement when pressed from cold.Put in saucepan and bring water to boil and see if there is any movement.Also are there any blockages in the heating system or pipes.The whole system may need a good flush.Once you have sorted out the problem I suggest you fill with Toyota Forlife coolant for maximum engine protection. Good luck Graham.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, You didn't say whether you had fixed the hole in the reservoir tank and whether the electric cooling fan was working OK when warmed up? When you fill the cooling system you need to have the heater controls in the fully hot position.The lack of anti freeze will not cause it to overheat only encourage sludge to form which might block the radiator and increase the risk of freezing and subsequent blowing of the core plugs.By the way is there any sign of leaking from the core plugs or the cylinder head?Again I suggest you check the radiator cap as even new ones can prove faulty.Check that there is slight movement when pressed from cold.Put in saucepan and bring water to boil and see if there is any movement.Also are there any blockages in the heating system or pipes.The whole system may need a good flush.Once you have sorted out the problem I suggest you fill with Toyota Forlife coolant for maximum engine protection. Good luck Graham.

Since my last reply,fault has been traced to Hydrualic cooling fan switch,fan not running when hot,ordered new one,bypassed switch at test point/diagnostic plug in engine bay fan now running all the time but at least not overheating(sat in a traffic jam for over 1/2 hour and temp gauge did not rise above 1/2 way). Only prob i have now is sometimes as engine cools, coolant is not sucked back into cooling system from resivoir tank therefore find when engine cold resivoir tank is full and have to pour this back into cooling system. Is this normal?