Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimlad

• Pompey Gaz

• JappyBeast

• dead_bodys_everywhere

mini cooper wtf .

disapointing .

On a toyota forum too!

Don't worry Jen, a "Toyota" Mini Cooper is just as welcome as a "Toyota" VW, eh Fizz? ;)

Les

That doesn't make it welcome though, I say boot them both out :bann:

:P :bye:

Right ok i haven't read this all yet but here's my input. I agree that there is a lot of almost pointless talk BUT this is because the topics discussed often seem to have evolved from peoples msn convo and so most people feel left out. I find ALOT of the posts in general are by the same few people throughout that topic. Obviously this is fine but it seems more like an msn conversation and not as inviting as you all seem to think. I do check by and read these convo's a lot but recently have been finding i feel i couldn't join in on the joke because it seems private. Also i am finding i'm not reading all the posts in a topic which is very rare for me but i dont know if this is because they are repetitive or what.

Either way i appreciate there is a strong community on here but it seems like its a community with closed doors? Althought you constantly say its an open community it seems it is just the same people talking? I assume this means others like me are finding it hard to join in? Maybe if it was more encouraging for others to join in the "random crap" posted wouldn't be that as the people would actually be involved. I think the people who are involved in these posts are finding it fun and those who aren't find it boring.

If the more private conversations are had about random things i think sometimes they could be kept to, or discussed further with the spam, in msn. This is not to say keep all conversations to msn as this obviously excludes people any more. All i mean is the sections within that convo that are meant for one person in particular could be excluded (PM'd or Msn'd) or atleast added to the bottom of a post that includes others input aswell? Obviously this doesn't always apply but it could, more often that not, be useful! If not atleast better labeling of posts would help people avoid the topics they don't want to read? Stuff like "Done something very important today" Could have the subtopic title thingy saying "Today i washed a shirt" (Using Jimlad's example) That way you get a funny title and an informative one?

Just my long winded input to give another opinion!

EDIT(As if my post needed making any longer): Having read the whole conversation i reckon it is the case of when people aren't included they think its drivel! If everyone feels welcome to join in, everyone has a good time :) Btw that post by jimlad about staying awake the longest sounds legendary (though hard to prove) :P

well said woody*

*your post was faaaarr to long to read but am sure it made perfect sense ;)

Some valid points there Woody. Especially about the "community with closed doors" part. I agree though, it does seem very cliquey (sp) sometimes.

PS : I did stay awake as long as I said I did... but I was totally ko'd at the end of it.

I agree though, it does seem very cliquey (sp) sometimes.

Thats rubbish, everyone is welcome to join in!

Private jokes will always happen as people here know each other in the real world as well as on the interweb thingy.

If a thread is purely about a private joke then, by definition, it excludes everyone not in on it. Everyone is welcome to join in, but someone who has never met Jappy ( for example ) might not feel comfortable taking the mick out of his impending oldness...... and vice versa.

Right ok i haven't read this all yet but here's my input. I agree that there is a lot of almost pointless talk BUT this is because the topics discussed often seem to have evolved from peoples msn convo and so most people feel left out. I find ALOT of the posts in general are by the same few people throughout that topic. Obviously this is fine but it seems more like an msn conversation and not as inviting as you all seem to think. I do check by and read these convo's a lot but recently have been finding i feel i couldn't join in on the joke because it seems private. Also i am finding i'm not reading all the posts in a topic which is very rare for me but i dont know if this is because they are repetitive or what.

Either way i appreciate there is a strong community on here but it seems like its a community with closed doors? Althought you constantly say its an open community it seems it is just the same people talking? I assume this means others like me are finding it hard to join in? Maybe if it was more encouraging for others to join in the "random crap" posted wouldn't be that as the people would actually be involved. I think the people who are involved in these posts are finding it fun and those who aren't find it boring.

If the more private conversations are had about random things i think sometimes they could be kept to, or discussed further with the spam, in msn. This is not to say keep all conversations to msn as this obviously excludes people any more. All i mean is the sections within that convo that are meant for one person in particular could be excluded (PM'd or Msn'd) or atleast added to the bottom of a post that includes others input aswell? Obviously this doesn't always apply but it could, more often that not, be useful! If not atleast better labeling of posts would help people avoid the topics they don't want to read? Stuff like "Done something very important today" Could have the subtopic title thingy saying "Today i washed a shirt" (Using Jimlad's example) That way you get a funny title and an informative one?

Just my long winded input to give another opinion!

EDIT(As if my post needed making any longer): Having read the whole conversation i reckon it is the case of when people aren't included they think its drivel! If everyone feels welcome to join in, everyone has a good time :) Btw that post by jimlad about staying awake the longest sounds legendary (though hard to prove) :P

Jappy, please read above and actually take some of it in. This is someone elses views other than mine. What's the point in just replying saying "rubbish... blah blah blah". I've got staff like you, unwilling to listen, take anything in, or change!! (no offence)

"it seems like its a community with closed doors?"

Stop living in the "I love TOC, this is brill it's never gonna change, stuff everybody else" world. The above views were of someone from the outside looking in. Someone who maybe doesn't know anyone here etc. A couple of people in this thread have touched upon the same sort of thing. Not just myself.

I agree with what the above chap said though, it seems to be simply a small handfull of people who are having little conversations etc within threads. To someone who doesn't know anyone here, I can see how it may seem slightly unwelcoming???

What's the point in people other than myself bringing valid points forward if they just get dismissed??

discuss....

As I said James, everyone is welcome.

Regarding your staff, I went on a good 5 day management course that encourages people to buy into your ethos, it might cure your problem.

I dont live in a "I love TOC, this is brill it's never gonna change, stuff everybody else" world, TOC is what it is and it changes everyday.. 6 months down the line it will be a different forum again.

The fact that we have just had JAE might exclude alot of people from certain threads and conversations but like I stated twice before, everyone on here is welcome.

Surely the fact that when I log in after work there is rarely less than 25 people online at one time shows that this is popular place.

"Althought you constantly say its an open community it seems it is just the same people talking?" - Some of us are louder than others! :P

when i was new a few months ago i didn't know anyone or get any of the conversations but you just gotta join in, if you don't know summat, ask, we don't bite. the only thing i can see that could exclude people is JAE but then, in my mind that would encourage people to go next year, share the jokes and stories. Like i said a few month ago i was new and I'm still here. Ok i contribute a lot but thats because i feel welcome here. I can get along with everyone, although i speak to some more than others I class everyone as good friends here. If sometimes there is a private joke or whatever whats stopping someone PMing those involved and asking what is going on. I know if someone PMd me and asked me about my signature or why i find "she might sick up" so funny then i would explain it! I think, like most things, you can be as involved or excluded as you like. and there is nothing stopping you hearing about the enclosed conversations and asking what its about. If anyone refuses to tell you then there is a problem. At the minute the way I see the forum is we have the car sections for the serious stuff, Yes even I can be serious in the Corolla section when I have input. We have the sub sections here for sport and such so what does that leave? General discussions which are General, have no association with cars sometimes! but isn't that "general" chat? Its better we keep it in one section rather than all the car places. I mean this is just my opinion and how i see it as only being here a few months. I agree with Jappy, I would rather sign on and see a surviving community rather than 4 people talking on the same thread. Ok there is crap on the general section, but a) where else can it go? and B) there are still the serious car sections, meet section, sub sections and everything else we need

Woody, to pick up on one of the many good points you raised i think that all thread titles needs to be descriptive.

Its annoying as hell to have to open a thread up to see what its about. The numerous MSN convo's on the forum need to be reduced as well. In jokes are all good and well but thats just it... its a personal 'in' joke and as such should be kept off the public/general forum.

There are some good points being raised, I think its fair that we all take each others feelings into account and I'd hate to think that people feel left out or too scared to join in a convo - it's not anyones intention to purposely leave others out.

However, a lot of us are friends in "real life" as well as on TOC. In-jokes are inevitable as some of us know each other very well, whereby some of us don't.

JAE probably hasn't helped the feeling of being left out by those who were unable to come along.... however again this is not intentional as people are still enjoying chatting about it - as with most things, the chat will no doubt cool off in the next few days....

It's just finding the fine line between the two, people shouldn't feel they can't share an in-joke with a friend but same as another person shouldn't feel left out of the conversation...

But like Pompey Gaz said, anyone is welcome to join in - or ask! How else do you make friends or get to know people unless you join in - even if its to ask "Whats going on here then?" No-one will ever get berated for it and in fact that might help another person who is also wanting to join in, or another person.

Some of us are incredibly outspoken (ahem), loud (ahem) and opinionated (ahem ahem lol) and yes I suppose that could be seen to be very unapproachable, however this is quite possibly one of the friendliest forums I personally have ever been on and since meeting more new people at JAE, I can safely say that without biase.

No-one means to be cliquey and I for one welcome anyone in on a conversation. :yes:

Woody, to pick up on one of the many good points you raised i think that all thread titles needs to be descriptive.

Its annoying as hell to have to open a thread up to see what its about. The numerous MSN convo's on the forum need to be reduced as well. In jokes are all good and well but thats just it... its a personal 'in' joke and as such should be kept off the public/general forum.

Wot 'E Said *points :)

This isnt about JAE IMO... nothing wrong with the JAE posts... its the other stuff... I dont come here as often as I used to... and a lot of that is because I'll read one or two threads wondering what they were about (as it isnt obvious).. realise its rubbish/not relating to me/boring/none of my business etc and kinda give up on others...

Hard to join in when half the threads make no sense to most of the members .

For a site with hundreds of members it seems to be the same 8-10 who post on it .

For a site with hundreds of members it seems to be the same 8-10 who post on it .

How do you mean they make no sense?

Yeah, kinda agree there. Half them or rubbish, pointless, don't make sense or are private "in" jokes.

PS: FYI people I'm not sh*t stirring here, or trying to cause any problems btw. I'm in no way anti-toc.

lmao.. hey. I'll should be a Toyota buff again soon.

I'll have a corolla by the end of the weekend and should have my mr2 back in a week or 2.