Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heat And Bonnet Lining

edamduke

ok, so the 1st thing I did is remove the bonnet lining to help cool, save weight and hear the dump. However, as we all know, these things get extremely hot (even when driving off the turbo), why is this btw? Now, I can't see it being good allowing all that heat to fester under the thick lining, but at the same time with it off my lovely paint gets too hot to touch and even becomes soft. As a result, I have put the lining back in. I know people say that the paint is fine but I am not so sure as it become much more delicate and susceptible to damage. What is everyone else's opinion?

Also, how good is all the nasty whether for the naked turbo?

I think that thing's getting too hot mate; I know mine's just a weedy, standard ST185 but I seriously don't think an ST205 should be getting hot enough to melt its paint.

Can't remember last time I saw a GT4 that still had its bonnet liner on.

Mine's often left outside and no sign of any damage from the rain on the turbo or anything else - you have a heat sheild on there anyway, don't you?

Yeh, the heat shield is there, never seen anything glow and engine temps are always below half. I don't think it is abnormally hot for a four. The paint is still perfect, it just becomes a little rubbery and would get messed up if a stone or twig hit it.

Cool. I'll have to check my bonnet paint next time the 4 gets hot.

I was getting you confused with the other post from EssexGT4 who said that his had been glowing. I figured glowing + soft paint added up to trouble.

Re your other post on the power band, that dyno you linked certainly shows it tailing off at 6K and looking at spec of 3S-GTE vs 3S-GE it certainly seems as if the tubby power peaks earlier - 6K vs 6.5 or 6.6K depending on which version you're looking at. That was a surprise to me, but I think you may be right.

After I removed mine I made up a heat shield for the hot area above the turbo, and attached it to the underside of the bonnet. Still get's warm but not too hot. :thumbsup:

If youve got a ST205 gt4 then take the linning-out it wont cause ANY problems

if your worryed, check posts on any of the gt4 forums, you will find that there is

no issues with removeing the bonnet lining, except for keeping the engine bay

cooler and a slight increase in engine noise when giveing it some beans

Yeh, I spoke to a couple of the GT4OC guys at japfest and read loads about it being fine. But personally I'm a little worried, may just take it off in the summer and for meets/shows.

Mines been off for a year now with no troubles, let the heat escape!

take it off , it makes for a great cheap n easy bbq. :D

WALLS - let the flavour flood out.

get rid of that rubbish

1, cools engine bay

2, sounds good

3, does NOT ever damage paint!

4, water going in the vent is not a problem

there is ONE reason for it being there... to reduce the sound of the engine! and who wants to do that :huh:

get rid of that rubbish

1, cools engine bay

2, sounds good

3, does NOT ever damage paint!

4, water going in the vent is not a problem

there is ONE reason for it being there... to reduce the sound of the engine! and who wants to do that :huh:

mines gone too. and i have another 4 residing up the road from me and his is off too. no probs.

bin it

Ok convinced. Will do it! I must admit I do love the sound and the lining does a fantastic job of disguising it. I can hardly hear the dump, and with it off, that is all I can hear.

off off off.... lol

Hiya guys, and welcome. I have just bought a 1994 ST205 GT4 WRC in white. I have just serviced it today and put on a new Battery. I put in 5/40 Millers fully synthetic. I was reading this thread an hour ago and decided to nip into the garage and take my bonnet linning off as i feel my car gets rather hot under there so will see if it makes any difference tomorrow even though my temperature needle stays at half way.

By the way what a car. Absolutely love it.

Next job tomorrow is to replace the centre section of my exhasut as it is blowing. Its the one with the flexible section. Just wondering how much do they normally cost and where can you get them from.

off off off.... lol

Hiya guys, and welcome. I have just bought a 1994 ST205 GT4 WRC in white. I have just serviced it today and put on a new Battery. I put in 5/40 Millers fully synthetic. I was reading this thread an hour ago and decided to nip into the garage and take my bonnet linning off as i feel my car gets rather hot under there so will see if it makes any difference tomorrow even though my temperature needle stays at half way.

By the way what a car. Absolutely love it.

Next job tomorrow is to replace the centre section of my exhasut as it is blowing. Its the one with the flexible section. Just wondering how much do they normally cost and where can you get them from.

My flex was leacking, its a 3" HKS one tho but all the same, i went to a garage in perly who make up custom exorsts and thay cut the old one out and welded a new one in for £120+ vat (cash ftw lol) only took about 35mins.

As for the lining under the bonest i been depating taking it off for a wile, i just dont want evrything to get rusty lol, but if u look under th car their is vents to the engin bay, these are their to push air through the bay and out of the top vent, so by taking it out it makes a huge diferance to engin bay temp.

By taking the under bonnet padding off I have seen a difference in the temperature of the engine bay. I think it is definately a good move.

Thanks for the advice on the flexi pipe.

Also I have added a stainless steel heat shield around the air filter which I think helps.

rip it all off :thumbsup:

as for the stock gauge, dont bother. it'll only move if u have a serious problem. get an aftermarket 1 if u wanna monitor temps.

hey mate be care full as in my experience i removed it and put te plastics back on but the 1 above the cam cooler was loose and in the recent freak rain storms water droped on alternator and caused me to break down

• 1 month later...
So is it OK to take it out on an ST185?

Never done mine any harm. Nor any other ST185 I've ever seen.

On the ST185 C/S and R/C the duct to the cam belt is held in place by the insulation. However, I was told that it serves no purpose on the road car anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

mine has been off for two years now and not affected the paint work at all or done any harm to it. for me my other half said it has to be better than the insulation stuff as it was falling to bits.

just taken the turbo heat shield off the other day for chroming. :)

• 3 weeks later...

take off the insulation, it's only keeping in heat and we should all know how bad that is. for the CS/RC and st205 owners, search on e-bay i'm sure there's a vented sheild plate to go under the vent to prevent alot of water from getting into the engine bay, if not they are easy to make

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links