Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina 1.8 Alarm Goes Off

lipso

I have a 1997 1.8 estate for about 1 month now - 1st day I bought it,parked it in my driveway, locked it but about 3 hours later the alarm went off for no reason and then about 30 mins later again. For a couple of weeks no problem then one evening it went off twice after 5 mins interval. Since then I've been locking it with the key. The alarm operates ok ie the lights flash correctly as per manual. After reading other posts here about it it seems it could be various things:

- sensitvity of the alarm?

- siren Battery??

- boot,door,bonnet sensor 'adjustment'?

not sure where to look to try to resolve or just go to Toyota dealer?

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
I have a 1997 1.8 estate for about 1 month now - 1st day I bought it,parked it in my driveway, locked it but about 3 hours later the alarm went off for no reason and then about 30 mins later again. For a couple of weeks no problem then one evening it went off twice after 5 mins interval. Since then I've been locking it with the key. The alarm operates ok ie the lights flash correctly as per manual. After reading other posts here about it it seems it could be various things:

- siren battery??

Hi

I have had two alarms on my 1.8. Mine went off at two in the morning and I couldn't turn it off for twenty minutes. Oh how the neighbours laughed! The alarm is located above the front right wheel arch and inconveniently under the washer bottle so when you fill up the bottle, you spill water onto the alarm if you are not lucky. The water gets into the electrics of the alarm and this in turn upsets the control box. Could be the cause of your problems.

- siren battery??

Hi

I have had two alarms on my 1.8. Mine went off at two in the morning and I couldn't turn it off for twenty minutes. Oh how the neighbours laughed! The alarm is located above the front right wheel arch and inconveniently under the washer bottle so when you fill up the bottle, you spill water onto the alarm if you are not lucky. The water gets into the electrics of the alarm and this in turn upsets the control box. Could be the cause of your problems.

Sounds as if its the siren backup Battery this is actually located in the siren housing (back of the engine compartment),easy way to find out is unplug it if it doesnt burst your ears out then its gone ,all you have to do is remove it then undo the 2 screws on the body and undo the cable clamping nut take the bottom out and inside you will find a circuit board with a Battery pack soldered on its 5 AA nicad batteries connected together, i got one made up for me for £10, be warned when you resolder the Battery pack back onto the board the siren will go off untill tou reconnect the whole siren pack back into the system (I woare a set of ear defenders) then use the fob to turn the alarm system off.

• 1 month later...

- siren battery??

Hi

Sounds as if its the siren backup Battery this is actually located in the siren housing (back of the engine compartment),easy way to find out is unplug it if it doesnt burst your ears out then its gone ,all you have to do is remove it then undo the 2 screws on the body and undo the cable clamping nut take the bottom out and inside you will find a circuit board with a Battery pack soldered on its 5 AA nicad batteries connected together, i got one made up for me for £10, be warned when you resolder the Battery pack back onto the board the siren will go off untill tou reconnect the whole siren pack back into the system (I woare a set of ear defenders) then use the fob to turn the alarm system off.

I think I may have the same problem. (Carina E 1.8 GS Estate 1996, 126,000 miles). I always lock the car with the key ( I have lost the fob) and three days ago (after driving through a big puddle) the car alarm started shortly after I switched off the engine. If I leave the ignition on, the alarm does not go off (please excuse my ignorance but I guess this is probably because the alarm is "armed" when the ignition is switched off). The car is not being immobilised. My current "fix" is to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. The problem seems to be "getting better" in that now, sometimes, it does not go off.

I have read other posts which suggest that removing the alarm system is a big deal. Is there a simple way to disable it (e.g. removing the siren) or will this immobilise the car or cause other problems ? Many thanks for your time.

- siren battery??

I had a 1997 1.8 carina and when it was about 4 years old i had the alarm siren renewed by toyota under warranty due to a seal on the siren being defective. It kept going off, very annoying!

Hope this assistance you

- siren battery??

I had a 1997 1.8 carina and when it was about 4 years old i had the alarm siren renewed by toyota under warranty due to a seal on the siren being defective. It kept going off, very annoying!

Hope this assistance you

Thank you. I have also found another post ("Carina E 1_8 Gs Alarm Problems") which describes how to disable the siren without completely removing the alarm system. I'm going to give it a go ...

- siren battery??

Hope this assistance you

Thank you. I have also found another post ("Carina E 1_8 Gs Alarm Problems") which describes how to disable the siren without completely removing the alarm system. I'm going to give it a go ...

Many thanks for this. As a result of all this information I was able to :

1. Diagnose that the problem was probably with the siren

2. Remove the siren (I removed wheel, then trim, then reached through and unscrewed siren from mount and then unplugged the connector - but just unplugging the connector under radiator expansion bottle would have done - trust me it was easy)

But for this website, I wouldn't have stood a chance !