Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Biodiesel

PopDorset

The reason I have just bought an Aygo diesel is for the economy, but I also wanted to put my money where my mouth is, for the environment. It does nearly twice as many mpg than my old P reg Nissan Micra!!!!!! However, I could be doing more for the environment by switching fuel...

My options are:

*Try a mix of biofuel and traditional diesel

*Try to make a batch of BioDiesel myself from old cooking oil and take a deep breath as you put it in the tank.

*Ask first to see if any other reckless but like-minded earth person has done it before!!!!

...erm...I decided on the last one...

The reason I have just bought an Aygo diesel is for the economy, but I also wanted to put my money where my mouth is, for the environment. It does nearly twice as many mpg than my old P reg Nissan Micra!!!!!! However, I could be doing more for the environment by switching fuel...

My options are:

*Try a mix of biofuel and traditional diesel

*Try to make a batch of BioDiesel myself from old cooking oil and take a deep breath as you put it in the tank.

*Ask first to see if any other reckless but like-minded earth person has done it before!!!!

...erm...I decided on the last one...

If the chips are down.........

Read this carefully:

DO NOT DO IT

Common rail diesels and biodiesel (especially old chip fat) are a bad combination. It will bung up the injection system, cause lubrication failures (diesel is used as a lubricant) resulting in a killed injection system and engine, with no comeback on the warranty.

By all means if you run an old style mechanical diesel injector pump engine (Land Rover, old Pugs, Mercs etc) chuck old chip fat in it, but modern diesels hate the stuff.

Read your manual - it should offer similar advice. Most manufacturers state 5% maximum biodiesel and only when sourced from reputable fuel stations.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links