Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Kid On The Block... Needs Advice

Gibbering Idiot

Greetings...

I'm negotiating for a 1990 Celica GT4 Turbo and wonder if any of you fine and knowledgable people can give me any advice. I've owned a 2 litre Gti before and am aware of things like cam-belts, buckled brake disks, pop up lights and the like but have no idea what I should be looking for with regard to turbos. Are there any particular things I should be aware of? I love the old Celicas and a GT4 seems like the natural progression but I can't afford to get 'screwed' so any input would be truely welcome.

Thanks... Andy.

If my memory serves correctly that'll be the ST185 model, of which Dak is the resident master and will no dought be along shortly to advise.

To answer your question though there is one big thing to look for with turbo's and that's smoke especially when on boost..

Secondly do you know what model your looking for the normal ATA with the bonnet scoop or the CS/RC variant with the bonnet vent similar to the ST205?

Depending on the versions there are some difference to look out for, the main one being to be wary of owners who have put an RC/CS bonnet on an ATA version.

the later as it's nick name implies has an Air to Air intercooler hence removing the bonnet scoop starves it of air, increasing intake temps and ultimately ending in engine failure from det. The reason behind the difference in bonnets is that like the ST205 the CS/RC has a Water to Air intercooler more commonly referred to as a Chargecooler. This means it does require the constant air flow over the chargecooler as the radiator section resides in the front bumper instead, thus the bonnet Vent can be used instead to help reduce under bonnet temps.

Other than this obvious difference there are also a number of other changes including different ecu mapping and boost limits etc.

Look out for rust. Cars of that age, particularly the UK ones, can be quite bad if they've not been looked after.

This can affect much more than the underbody and suspension components. Look for rusty brake pipes and fuel pipes. Mine has the latter, but I'm told it's not too expensive to fix.

Of course listen for damage to the turbo and look for smoke. Check tyres wearing evenly - if they're not then could be either just due to tracking, or perhaps suspension problems.

There's a very good guide to buying a GT4 on GT4OC.net

Greetings...

I'm negotiating for a 1990 Celica GT4 Turbo and wonder if any of you fine and knowledgable people can give me any advice. I've owned a 2 litre Gti before and am aware of things like cam-belts, buckled brake disks, pop up lights and the like but have no idea what I should be looking for with regard to turbos. Are there any particular things I should be aware of? I love the old Celicas and a GT4 seems like the natural progression but I can't afford to get 'screwed' so any input would be truely welcome.

Thanks... Andy.

Welcome to TOC Andy. As you've already owned a Celica you'll be aware of any obvious shortcomings with regard to the body/running gear. The 185s are pretty reliable, but bear in mind the age of the car. If I were buying one now I'd insist on a full service history preferably a Toyota one. Any mods need to be scrutinised to make sure they've been done sympathetically and pay particular attention to the transmision. Any undue whines, clunks, clonks or bangs need to be investigated and the cost of repair should be reflected in the price.

As Sketchy says the engine needs to be smoke free especially when on boost. Any small rattles from the top end could indicate cam or valve train wear. Any heavy knocking from the bottom end will almost certainly be the big ends which can be susceptible to premature wear. Usually as a result of oil starvation or lack of regular oil changes. The engine should tick over smoothly at about 750 - 800 RPM although if started from cold it will rev at about 1500 RPM gradually decreasing as the engine warms.

If you've got any questions don't hesitate to post on here and we'll do our best to help.

Good luck. :D :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links