Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

92 4cyl. Camry Timing Belt Broke

ortho

I recently was driving about 40 mph. when i heard a noise that sounded like a failing water pump,I slowed down but it was to late..I heard a popping noise and my engine cut off.timing belt busted i think.I'm thinking

it might have been the tensioner that failed.Before I tare into it I'm wondering if i bent the valves.some ppl say no others say yes I don't know.Someone told me theres a leak down tester to determine if the valves are bent.Has anyone ever used one,How does it work?I found a mechanic to do the labor for $175.. thats pretty cheap I think for the labor plus parts.water pump,belt,tentioner if needed.He says its a 50/50 chance

that the valves are bent.Any help is greatly appreciated.

I recently was driving about 40 mph. when i heard a noise that sounded like a failing water pump,I slowed down but it was to late..I heard a popping noise and my engine cut off.timing belt busted i think.I'm thinking

it might have been the tensioner that failed.Before I tare into it I'm wondering if i bent the valves.some ppl say no others say yes I don't know.Someone told me theres a leak down tester to determine if the valves are bent.Has anyone ever used one,How does it work?I found a mechanic to do the labor for $175.. thats pretty cheap I think for the labor plus parts.water pump,belt,tentioner if needed.He says its a 50/50 chance

that the valves are bent.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi there, I have had a cambelt go on a 1984 Camry didn't do any damage.Either the design allows eneough clearance or it broke when none of pistons was at top of stroke.It might be worth changing the idler pulleys at the same time depending on there condition,can get a bit noisy after about 70k.Certainly change the power steering belt and alternator belt if you haven't done so already as the rubber could now be getting brittle.Makes sense to change the water pump and the tensioner return springs while is is stripped down. Good luck Graham(Bournemouth UK)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links