Future T-sport Owner

Demo_202

Alright guys & girls

Looking to trade in my car for a T sport in the very near future :yahoo:

Here's the current wagon,

CarShoot039-1.jpg

(Been a few changes since then)

Ok, so now the questions...

Any problems/ common issues to look for?

Does the T sport come with an alloy or steelie in the boot?

Does it come with Tsport mats, what do they look like?

Other than SatNav what other options are there?

Is it easy to change the cd player for a DVD unit?

Sorry for the list,

Cheers

Simon

First off, welcome to the club!

Second, good choice for your next car! :thumbsup:

And now your list.....

Not had any problems with mine and can't think of any common issues. Some have noted that the bonnet pin on the alarm can play up sometimes.

Full size alloy in the boot.

mats some do some don't. It's your basic car mat with the T Sport logo in the corner. You're looking at about £56 if they don't come with the car!

Your basic T Sport is still nicely equipped, i think you've got the options of sat nav, leather interior or both (I could be wrong though!)

Should'nt be too hard to change the CD player, not done it myself but someone on here will be able to help!

:thumbsup:

Alright guys & girls

Looking to trade in my car for a T sport in the very near future :yahoo:

Here's the current wagon,

CarShoot039-1.jpg

(Been a few changes since then)

Ok, so now the questions...

Does it come with Tsport Mats, what do they look like?

Sorry for the list,

Cheers

Simon

Welcome mate! :thumbsup:

I have had mine for 2 and a bit years now and it has given me trouble free motoring, but on top of the reliability it has given me a few smiles along the way. Servicing is surprisingly cheap as well (even comparing to a lesser car) and mechanically i cannot fault it.

Things to look out for though are minor little things. Personally i have had squeaky clutch action and squealy breaks (changed under warranty)...

The thing that everyone talked about in the past was the lift bolt breakage/wearing issue (lookup lift bolt for more details), but to date i have always had no problems with this.

The TS comes with spare full alloy wheel in the boot, mine came with the TS mat but i dont believe this was standard.

Toyota original audio is pretty decent to start with, but i was asking about a possible swap for a new unit and the guy said that its an awkward job as the stereo is double din... You either need to get a double DIN stereo or have a blanking sapce for one of the spaces if you got for a regular single DIN unit. I decided against it in the end as i was told that i would lose the trip computer if i went 3rd part equipment... Maybe some one here will tell me otherwise?

Anyways, i have always recommended the TS to my mates, the combination of creature comfort, power and reliability is simply brill.

Cheers guys,

Read a good wee bit about road noise, is that really a problem?

Bear in mind I drive a polo on rock solid suspension, inward pointing camber, and rock solid tyres :D

Cheers guys,

Read a good wee bit about road noise, is that really a problem?

Bear in mind I drive a polo on rock solid suspension, inward pointing camber, and rock solid tyres :D

Road noise in terms of the actual ride is fine, but engine does get boomy when crusing in high speed. Below 50 in 6th gear is fine....above 70 and it gets noise.

Welcome to the club mate! :thumbsup:

I've had my 2002 t sport for nearly 2 years now and its been trouble free other than the usually wear and tyre i.e. tyres, front pads and discs.

It is a quality car and its pretty good standard so I've had little to do to it. I'm sure it'll give me a few more years of trouble free motoring and ownership.

You won't regret!

im in the same boat now. goin g looking at two tsports soon

isnt their some issue with the gearbox being soft though?

Thanks for the reply guys

Noisey as in like a nice exhaust tone or what?

And lift?

Sorry, new to all this!

Noisy? The standard TS zaust does have a certain tone to it. Very high pitched but throaty. The "lift" is pretty unique to toyota and "cough" honda. The "lift" is when you hit 6200rpm in the CTS and the sports cam takes over. Producing an extra 40-odd bhp and turning our motors into pretty rapid beasts!

Welcome.

And lift?

i.e. the difference between the VVTi engines fitted to many Toyotas and the VVTLi in the Rolla & Celica T-Sports

High Lift Cams provide better breathing at the top end of the rev range, but as it's a step change from the standard cam to the high lift one, the effect is quite dramatic. Also the sound of the engine when on the high lift cam is quite distinctive. Six speed gearbox needs to be worked hard to keep the revs in the lift zone even though the rev range of the VVTLi is much bigger than the standard car. But it's worth it! Damn, I still miss my 190.

There are "issues" with the clutch. Which seem like problems but actually seem to be present on everyone's car!

It will smell if you give it too many revs when setting off and slip it. Over 3000rpm to get moving and it will smell. Once you get used to the car you'll find it won't happen though.

It can be quite noisy on the over-run (when you take your foot off the throttle in gear) at somewhere around 3000 revs. I'm not sure if it's the clutch, induction noise (possibly the air box switching intake point) or what but it's nothing to worry about. It's something I noticed when I first test drove mine and was a bit concerned about but after doing some research on here decided it was OK.

As for options, you gotta get leather. :D

Or if it's a facelift model you're looking at then it's a very rare half leather/alcantara.

Road noise is actually very good, the only noise is engine noise on the motorway. But it probably won't be bad compared to your Polo. My mum had a 1.0 Polo of that age and it was incredibly noisy on the motorway. Not sure how much different the 1.4 is though.

Have you driven a CTS yet? It will feel like a Lamborghini compared to the Polo! :D :D

i say keep the VW, and put one of these in it ;)

post-17511-1185625741_thumb.jpg

i'm not biased or anything..

t sport gearbox is crap and the brakes are crap. thats about it i think.

sanj

suspension (prob just tein basic) and brakes would be the first changes il make if i purchase.

has anyone upgraded the clutch or install quickshift, lsd or lightweight flywheel

presuming all are available. what ere the results, how much will did it set you back?

Well, found one in my price range in durham(sp?) wee bit of a trek from glasgow

Had phoned the dealer and said id be down at some point, he said its mint not a mark on it.

Went down today after it had closed on my way back from manchester.. the car had no centre caps, exhaust tip looked not quite right but not sure on that, big stain on the arm rest, no t sport Badge on the grille...and most worryingly no sideskirts just two holes where they should be

As you'd imagine im rather unhapppy with them!

Hi Simon,

Not much apart from some minor fitting issues on stuff like dashboard sound system surround and rear spoiler on some cars. Jack's had a door seal on his 1st CTS that gradually became displaced and leaky but it was replaced easily enough. The fact that he is on his second CTS should tell you something.

It's a great car with lots of good stuff and no pretentious touches at all, very stealthy, but not as stealthy as the TTE CTS where you have full power almost from idle and a noticably stiffer chassis. Both are really comfortable considering the extra performance. Your girfriend won't try to make you sell it for another car if you knock her up, so to speak.

Jack's had an identical alloy spare to the road wheels.

Does it come with Tsport Mats, what do they look like?

He bought second hand so... pass.

Leather. jack had it and loved it. When the CTS was traded in at just over 40,000 miles the sides of the seat were a little tatty but Jack's a very big lad and I wouldn't expect everyone to wear their seats to the same extent. His TTE CTS has cloth but either finish is good.

Don't know. Never had a problem with the standard unit and we don't watch much telly in t'car anyway.

Sorry for the list,

List? What list? If yer don't ask the questions how yer gonna know the answers?

That's what most of us are here for, right?

...Enjoy. People will think you are on drugs because you wont stop grinning for weeks after you get one and learn to keep it on cam safely, I guarantee you.

• 4 weeks later...

Got one! :D

Quick question, my clutch sometimes makes a faint squeak at the top of its travel, is this normal?

Pics soon

Cheers!

Got one :D!

Quick question, sometimes the clutch squeeks a tiny bit at the top of its travel if im maybe putting my foot down a little

Is this normal?

Pics soon, Cheers