Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wot No Lift!

jam1e

This mornin travelling to work, went to pass a van on the M1, changed down to 3rd and accellerated past 6300rpm but didn't feel the lift!! :unsure:

The stretch of motorway was uphill, could this be why?

Contacted toyota but they have never heard of anything like this before...

A local mechanic is looking into it for me.

Anyone ever heard of this happening before? :(

This mornin travelling to work, went to pass a van on the M1, changed down to 3rd and accellerated past 6300rpm but didn't feel the lift!! :unsure:

COULD BE THAT YOU NEED NEW LIFT BOLTS ON THE VARIABLE CAM. THEY DO HAVE A HABIT OF BREAKING OR JUST COMING LOOSE. QUITE AN EASY JOB TO REPLACE AND ONLY A COUPLE OF QUID FROM TOYOTA, YOU WILL NEED A CAM COVER GASKET IF REPLACING THESE. HAVE ATTACHED A LINK BELOW. GOOD LUCK

http://teamcelica.com/tech/installs/liftbolts/liftbolts.pdf

Had something similar with a Celica 190 a few years back but can't remember the details of the fix as it was done under warranty. Sorry, not much help, except to confirm that yours is not the first car this has happened to.

I hope you get it sorted without too much hassle.

This is a very known problem for 2ZZ <_<

I thought so.

First dealer who looked at my car said the problem didn't exist; it was impossible. M'eh;

Then having taken it elsewhere to be fixed, the new dealer claimed mine was the only car it had ever happened to, and that toyota wanted photographs of the damage, followed by return of the damaged parts so that they could analyse the problem to find out the cause.

Then two days later, they couldn't return the car because the parts were out of stock due to high demand for them :D What the parts that never go wrong?

Nice to see that four years later there are still dealers who claim this engine is indestructible. Don't get me wrong, I accept that things can go wrong with cars, particularly high tech systems like this. I just wish they wouldn't then try to pretend that all is well when it clearly isn't.

I thought so.

First dealer who looked at my car said the problem didn't exist; it was impossible. M'eh;

Then having taken it elsewhere to be fixed, the new dealer claimed mine was the only car it had ever happened to, and that toyota wanted photographs of the damage, followed by return of the damaged parts so that they could analyse the problem to find out the cause.

Then two days later, they couldn't return the car because the parts were out of stock due to high demand for them :D What the parts that never go wrong?

Nice to see that four years later there are still dealers who claim this engine is indestructible. Don't get me wrong, I accept that things can go wrong with cars, particularly high tech systems like this. I just wish they wouldn't then try to pretend that all is well when it clearly isn't.

Does anyone know the exact part no. for the lift bolts?

Spoke to toyota this morning and they can't find them on their system!

I know a mechanic who will fit them for me, he specializes in jap motors (evo's, imprezas etc)

I find lift isn't as noticable in 3rd as 1st or 2nd. It's a higher gear after all. You do still notice it but it's not the hang-on-for-dear-life feeling it is in 1st and 2nd.

It's possible if it was a very steep hill then you wouln't notice it much.

The engine wasn't cold was it?

Is it OK now?

I thought the lift bolt problems only applied to the Celica because they started using a modified design before the Corolla came out. But I guess if yours is a very early T Sport it could be effected.

Thanks for that Jock Fran, got the part no. off the picture you supplied!

I'll get back to the garage and tell Mr T what I need. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!!

Went to the dealer this afternoon, part no. is good :yahoo:

The lift bolts were 53p each, and the cam cover gasket was

£5.00.

I was stunned at how cheap the parts were!!

Just got to get them fitted now and see if there's any improvement.

Thanks for everyones help :thumbsup:

keep your fingers crossed that the bolt ends haven't ended up in the oil galleries, otherwise it'll be expensive!

Was the engine up to temperature? The car lowers the rev limmiter to 7kish and does not let you use the lift untill its warmed up.

Went to see Mr T today, went out on road test with a toyota mechanic.

Lift bolts were replaced(slightly worn).

Everything is ok with the car now, toyota mechanic says the lift bolts would not have affected the performance anyway.

He says they have never heard of this before and have never had any probs with the VVTLI engine!!

All is well now so I'm well happy!!

Thanks for everyone's help on this mater! :thumbsup:

Went to see Mr T today, went out on road test with a toyota mechanic.

Lift bolts were replaced(slightly worn).

Everything is ok with the car now, toyota mechanic says the lift bolts would not have affected the performance anyway.

He says they have never heard of this before and have never had any probs with the VVTLI engine!!

All is well now so I'm well happy!!

Thanks for everyone's help on this mater! :thumbsup:

Mine has just had its 40k Service 2yrs 10 months so I took all the info from here regarding the lift bolts and asked them to to the job while there were doing the service. Bloke went off OK with the TSB from up in this note. Called back later to say that they have never heard of this problem and siad they could do the job BUT (BIG BUT) it would cost £700 Seven Hundred UK Pounds. So I said no thank you at that price and have seen that it doesnt seem a difficult job and certainly not 700 quids worh.

Trev

From Basingstoke (using only the local mr T)